OCCRA
Go to Post I think you can apply the Cheesy Poof rule here: 254 uses closed loop velocity control on the Talons, so you can too. - gbear605 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JeVois Smart Machine Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD744 View Post
Just want a sanity check that I'm understanding everything right.

It seems that if you wanted to stream video with this camera, you would have to use both USB ports on the roboRio, correct? Because the JeVois requires a Y cable and 2 ports for USB 2.0, which it seems is the roboRio's USB ports.

Otherwise, I'm assuming the idea is to send the output of the image processing over the serial connection to the roboRio?
I was planning on using something like this:

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2017, 06:23 PM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

And another option.
https://www.amazon.com/WINGONEER-DC-...+converter+usb
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 03:45 AM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force, Thunder Robotics, Team F.U.N.)

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGarward View Post
Just ordered one. While it's no Jetson, if it's sufficient for its size, I'll take it. At least it'll be fun to play with.
+1

This will be fun to play with in the upcoming weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Just thought I would give a quick update:
After I ordered it, I dove right in with the basics of getting it setup on a Windows computer. I thought I needed Linux to program it, but it's possible to do it on a Windows computer if you're ok with taking slightly more time.
Awe, the intricacies of python on windows. Ya gotta love it
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2017, 12:58 PM
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Without a doubt, 2073 WILL be sporting this camera on our 2018 robot, as long as the game lends it's self to vision and/or vision tracking! (Actually 2 JeVois)

At this point in time, we intend to release our code some time near the end of December, 2017. In addition, we will put together a "Using JeVois in an FRC environment" whitepaper, unless someone else beats us to the punch.

One thing I find kinda funny is that with our current code and configuration, programming and tuning the tracking parameters takes a combination of:
1 JeVois (obviously)
1 Windows PC (Preferably NOT Win 10)
1 RPi (If we can transcode our GUI tuner to run in Windows, this might be dropped)
1 Arduino Pro Micro (Acts as a Bidirectional USB to TTL converter and stand in for a RoboRio)
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

From our team discussions, our plan was to try to use one this year as well.

Our hookup design (purely theoretical at this point) was to directly use the RS232 port on the roboRIO (possibly with level shifter) to get target info from the JeVois, and properly configure it at init. We'd use the JeVois to act as a USB webcam (probably with debug annotations), and stream that from the roboRIO with the mjpeg streamer.

Any forseen issues with this setup?
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2017, 05:23 PM
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
From our team discussions, our plan was to try to use one this year as well.

Our hookup design (purely theoretical at this point) was to directly use the RS232 port on the roboRIO (possibly with level shifter) to get target info from the JeVois, and properly configure it at init. We'd use the JeVois to act as a USB webcam (probably with debug annotations), and stream that from the roboRIO with the mjpeg streamer.

Any forseen issues with this setup?
You can avoid needing to use the level shifter for the RS232 connection if you connect it to the TTL pins (Tx, Rx, 3.3v, and DGND) in the MXP port.
Depending on what you do with the camera to fine tune it for tracking, you might consider not streaming video through the RoboRio and just send your targeting data to the RoboRio via USB.
Just my $.02.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2017, 05:58 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo911 View Post
You can avoid needing to use the level shifter for the RS232 connection if you connect it to the TTL pins (Tx, Rx, 3.3v, and DGND) in the MXP port.
Depending on what you do with the camera to fine tune it for tracking, you might consider not streaming video through the RoboRio and just send your targeting data to the RoboRio via USB.
Just my $.02.
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

I'm still not certain about streaming. I personally would like to have the option (would make debugging easier), but that doesn't mean we have to leave that enabled on the field.

From reading the docs, I'm wondering if it's possible to adjust the exposure settings rapidly with serial commands? This way, we could potentially get dual usage out of the camera - one to stream to the drivers to help with navigation (use normal exposure), and the second to do vision processing. Basically, when the operator hits the "vision align request" button, the roboRIO quickly reconfigures the camera for dark exposure, activates the vision processing algorithm, and starts listening for target info. Stuff to experiment with....
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2017, 07:25 PM
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post

From reading the docs, I'm wondering if it's possible to adjust the exposure settings rapidly with serial commands? This way, we could potentially get dual usage out of the camera - one to stream to the drivers to help with navigation (use normal exposure), and the second to do vision processing. Basically, when the operator hits the "vision align request" button, the roboRIO quickly reconfigures the camera for dark exposure, activates the vision processing algorithm, and starts listening for target info. Stuff to experiment with....
Yes, it is quite simple. The following would set manual exposure mode to a value of 50.
Code:
setcam autoexp 1
setcam absexp 50
To set it back to Auto Exposure:
Code:
setcam autoexp 0
These commands can be found by simply typing "help" into a serial command line. (Via Putty or "Adruino Terminal monitor" for example)
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo911 View Post
Without a doubt, 2073 WILL be sporting this camera on our 2018 robot, as long as the game lends it's self to vision and/or vision tracking! (Actually 2 JeVois)

At this point in time, we intend to release our code some time near the end of December, 2017. In addition, we will put together a "Using JeVois in an FRC environment" whitepaper, unless someone else beats us to the punch.

One thing I find kinda funny is that with our current code and configuration, programming and tuning the tracking parameters takes a combination of:
1 JeVois (obviously)
1 Windows PC (Preferably NOT Win 10)
1 RPi (If we can transcode our GUI tuner to run in Windows, this might be dropped)
1 Arduino Pro Micro (Acts as a Bidirectional USB to TTL converter and stand in for a RoboRio)
Please, beat me to the punch. It doesn't seem like I'll be able to add RoborRIO integration for a while. I was planning on getting a start to everything tonight.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Uber Alien
AKA: Mike 1
FRC #4004 (M.A.R.S. Rovers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
pribusin has a spectacular aura aboutpribusin has a spectacular aura aboutpribusin has a spectacular aura about

following...
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Nuts N' Bolts

Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping the thread alive...
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2017, 03:23 PM
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Keeping the thread alive...
Thanks Skye.
I'm waiting on some feedback to a preliminary release of my whitepaper. Once I get that back, I will finalize and post it. I'm hoping that will be some time in early December.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Stephen Pang
FRC #3146 (Granby GRUNTS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
SPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond repute

How are things going with this? I'm really interested in the potential of JeVois, so if there's any progress, keep us posted!
NE FIRST Volunteer | 2016 - ????
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Adding these here for reference:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/10...-kit-unboxing/

https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/11...customization/
Clarke's Laws
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Nuts N' Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Thanks Marshall

Has anyone found the series of fewest steps to get a custom .py script running? This approach seems the most user friendly, and with the integration of GRIP, dead simple. The documentation says it's good to go by (more or less) the following:
  1. Create a .py file with same name as contained class
  2. Put it in the modules directory in a folder named the same
  3. Edit the resolution config file with a unique resolution, framerate & point to the .py file
  4. New resolution should be listed when you fire the camera up again

Actual tutorial HERE.

The one thing I haven't tried (that I should) is update the JeVois image.

If no one has managed a custom python module would you please share the process in which you managed to get up and running with an alternate language?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: