OCCRA
Go to Post Being professional means doing things right. Being gracious means doing the right thing. They complement each other perfectly. But I think we should remember to use GP as a guide for our own behavior, not as a yardstick to measure others' shortcomings. - Alan Anderson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 10:52 AM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JeVois Smart Machine Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Thanks Marshall

Has anyone found the series of fewest steps to get a custom .py script running? This approach seems the most user friendly, and with the integration of GRIP, dead simple. The documentation says it's good to go by (more or less) the following:
  1. Create a .py file with same name as contained class
  2. Put it in the modules directory in a folder named the same
  3. Edit the resolution config file with a unique resolution, framerate & point to the .py file
  4. New resolution should be listed when you fire the camera up again

Actual tutorial HERE.

The one thing I haven't tried (that I should) is update the JeVois image.

If no one has managed a custom python module would you please share the process in which you managed to get up and running with an alternate language?
You may want to take a look at the White Paper I just posted. It sounds like it might be just what you are looking for.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2017, 11:12 PM
AKA: Eric
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
Bonestoo is on a distinguished road

This is coming from a mechanical student so don't judge me for my ignorance too harshly.
I just bought one of these cameras to play with over winter break and I'm excited to bumble my way through setting it up and getting it to work but I have a question. I see a few times that it's brought up to use GRIP to find settings to then send to the JeVois, but isn't what makes the JeVois special and not like every other USB camera that it doesn't need GRIP to be used? That it basically has it's own version of GRIP built in that you can edit with the GUI editor that they provide?
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestoo View Post
This is coming from a mechanical student so don't judge me for my ignorance too harshly.
I just bought one of these cameras to play with over winter break and I'm excited to bumble my way through setting it up and getting it to work but I have a question. I see a few times that it's brought up to use GRIP to find settings to then send to the JeVois, but isn't what makes the JeVois special and not like every other USB camera that it doesn't need GRIP to be used? That it basically has it's own version of GRIP built in that you can edit with the GUI editor that they provide?
When I used GRIP, I used the "Generate Code" feature that I pasted into a JeVois program. I have a guide here: https://github.com/asid61/JeVois-For-FRC

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2017, 11:55 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The ideal would be to see someone hack support for the JeVois into output for the GRIP pipeline.
Clarke's Laws
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 12:21 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
The ideal would be to see someone hack support for the JeVois into output for the GRIP pipeline.
Hack? GRIP is open source bro, just add it And submit a PR to make it easy?

#51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 08:54 AM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Hack? GRIP is open source bro, just add it And submit a PR to make it easy?
I'm volunteering you for that dangerous mission. I'll even double your pay as a 900 pseudo-mentor though it might mean we have to let Kevin go... I'll have to check the mentor budget.
Clarke's Laws
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 11:47 AM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Eric,
Let me see if I can give you the Readers Digest explanation. I am not, nor ever have been, a GRIP user, so if I misspeak, I hope others will correct me.

GRIP is a graphical tool to create a vision processing workflow without the need to actually write the code.
Grip uses OpenCV to do the actual vision processing, but this is transparent to the user.
GRIP can generate the code so it can be exported and used elsewhere, and this is how it can be used with JeVois.
JeVois supports OpenCV, but not GRIP. So, you use GRIP to generate the OpenCV code then copy that into JeVois.

Anand has written an excellent guide on this process, it is linked below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
When I used GRIP, I used the "Generate Code" feature that I pasted into a JeVois program. I have a guide here: https://github.com/asid61/JeVois-For-FRC
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 03:50 PM
AKA: Eric
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)
Team Role: Mechanical

Bonestoo is on a distinguished road

Ah ok, that all makes alot more sense than it did last night, you guys are great. Looking through asid61's guide, it looks super helpful and exactly what I was looking for. I think I've found my reading for tonight...
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

I started playing with the JeVois last night. I wanted an easy way to send serial commands to the JeVois while it was connected to the roboRIO.

I basically wanted to have screen installed so I could communicate with it, turns out it's not that hard.

I wrote up some quick instructions here.

It does require that you connect your RoboRIO to the internet to get the package installed. It's possible to download the package to your PC and install it directly from a flash drive but I didn't do that so I don't have the instructions for it.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 07:13 PM
FRC #6502 (DARC Side)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2017
nullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant future

Just started playing around with our JeVois today. Brand new, used with high quality cable. Jiggle the cable at all and it restarts Tried with USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports on Windows 10 and OSX. Going to return and order another. Does not inspire confidence

"Remember to hacksaw off the rest of the quick grips to give yourself more room" - /u/Tapego
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullmainmethod View Post
Just started playing around with our JeVois today. Brand new, used with high quality cable. Jiggle the cable at all and it restarts Tried with USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports on Windows 10 and OSX. Going to return and order another. Does not inspire confidence
Two questions, did you switch cables? We're you using the Y cable to give it enough power.

I've had success using only one port as long as it's a USB 3.0 port.

Likely just a bad unit.

Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 07:56 PM
FRC #6502 (DARC Side)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2017
nullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenGregoryIV View Post
Two questions, did you switch cables? We're you using the Y cable to give it enough power.

I've had success using only one port as long as it's a USB 3.0 port.

Likely just a bad unit.
Yeah, tried 3 different Mini-B cables. All were from Amazon, with good reviews. Just going to order another, not a big deal. Amazon is really good with the returns

"Remember to hacksaw off the rest of the quick grips to give yourself more room" - /u/Tapego
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Ideal JeVois Setup
- Able to stream target data on bootup

- Able to stream raw image back to computer for GRIP while connected to roborio
- Able to switch to this mode easily

- Able to stream overlayed target image back to computer to show that we are getting targets properly
- Can turn this on and off from dashboard or pull up the stream in a web browser

- Able to send to JeVois Serial terminal remotely while JeVois is attached to RoboRIO
- (Screen does this, not sure if sending target data will interfere)
- Lets us tune camera settings on the field during camera calibration easily

- Able to remotely read/write file system of the JeVois while connected to roboRIO.
- Lets us upload new script and setting files while itís still connected to the robot.
- Usbsd doesnít seem to work for this on the RoboRIO

- Sample Code
- Java/C++/Python/Labview
- classes/packages, etc for ease of use
- Able to read in the target data easily, switch the vision output, etc
- Multiple samples similar to Asid61 for different vision targets.

Which of these are easy? Which of these are impossible? Which of these aren't needed? What else should we be trying to get documented for this to be as easy as possible for teams to use?

#59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2017, 01:12 AM
AKA: Ron R
FRC #1218

rrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud ofrrossbach has much to be proud of

Quote:
Which of these are easy? Which of these are impossible? Which of these aren't needed? What else should we be trying to get documented for this to be as easy as possible for teams to use?
Here are some quick initial notes on each based on my experiences so far - have been working with a few nearby teams on jevois use and roborio integration.

I'm also working on jevois code generation in GRIP; it isn't hard to manually integrate GRIP code into a jevois module, but as marshall noted a few posts up, having GRIP just output a jevois module will make it easier to use.

Quote:
- Able to stream target data on bootup
Easy; either set the default module in videomappings.cfg (as described in the Jevois documentation) or set the the module you want to run in your your robot code initialization:
Code:
UsbCamera jevoisCam = CameraServer.getInstance().startAutomaticCapture();
jevoisCam.setVideoMode(PixelFormat.kYUYV,320,254,60);
Quote:
- Able to stream raw image back to computer for GRIP while connected to roborio
- Able to switch to this mode easily
Easy; provided the mode you're running on the Jevois streams the raw image out over USB, the roboRIO CameraServer exposes it to you on http://<roboRIO-IP>:1181/?action=stream. Just add that as an IP Camera source to GRIP.
(NOTE substitute your actual roborio IP address for <roboRIO-IP>, and port 1181 assumes you just have the jevois connected....when streaming multiple cameras back from the roboRIO simultaneously the port number will increment....1181 for the 1st camera, 1182 for the 2nd, etc)
If you need to switch modes on the jevois you can have your roboRIO code do that in response to SmartDashboard interactions (or other input).

Quote:
- Able to stream overlayed target image back to computer to show that we are getting targets properly
- Can turn this on and off from dashboard or pull up the stream in a web browser
The built-in ObjectTracker module does this; even assuming we'll want to write a jevois module for next season's FRC targets to track those specifically, it's easy to stream the overlayed target image back. You could also turn this off via roborio code in response to SmartDashboard inputs; and as with GRIP above just open the CameraServer URL in a web browser and you'll see whatever the jevois is streaming

Quote:
- Able to send to JeVois Serial terminal remotely while JeVois is attached to RoboRIO
- (Screen does this, not sure if sending target data will interfere
- Lets us tune camera settings on the field during camera calibration easily
Sending target data doesn't interfere with sending serial commands to the jevois. Aside from installing Screen on the roborio to do it, you can also do it in your robot code. Our experimental code shows how to do that; just use the SerialPort API in WPILib

Quote:
- Able to remotely read/write file system of the JeVois while connected to roboRIO.
- Lets us upload new script and setting files while it’s still connected to the robot.
- Usbsd doesn’t seem to work for this on the RoboRIO
Haven't experimented with that as of yet, but will take a closer look.

As a side note, to deal with calibration this post over in the jevois white paper thread may help. It describes a method we found that in the past has let us accurately detect targets in a normally exposed image, without the need to change exposure/color settings for different lighting conditions.

Quote:
- Sample Code
- Java/C++/Python/Labview
- classes/packages, etc for ease of use
- Able to read in the target data easily, switch the vision output, etc
- Multiple samples similar to Asid61 for different vision targets.
There are a few rough samples (including ours) linked over the in the white paper thread. Hopefully will get some time over the holidays to clean up and add documentation/guide, in addition to implementing the GRIP code generation.

Hope that helps! Great to have a bunch of us all working on this together

- Ron

FIRST Mid-Atlantic Volunteer (CSA, FTA)
Controls Mentor, FRC Teams #1218 & #433 (2017 - )
Controls Mentor, FRC Team #2607 (2009 - )

Last edited by rrossbach : 12-19-2017 at 01:16 AM.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2017, 04:37 AM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Has anyone figured out the best way to talk to the JeVois when it identifies as /dev/ttyACM0?

So far I've had the best luck using jSerialComm

I was just using their default code and haven't moved much further but it is able to read a bytebuffer from the /dev/ttyACM0 port.

Code:
comPort = com.fazecast.jSerialComm.SerialPort.getCommPort("/dev/ttyACM0");
comPort.openPort();
comPort.setComPortTimeouts(SerialPort.TIMEOUT_READ_SEMI_BLOCKING, 100, 0);
OutputStream out = comPort.getOutputStream();
InputStream in = comPort.getInputStream();
PrintWriter p = new PrintWriter(out);
try
{
	for (int j = 0; j < 1000; ++j)
		System.out.print((char)in.read());
	in.close();
} catch (Exception e) { e.printStackTrace(); }
comPort.closePort();

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: