OCCRA
Go to Post You are not allowed to think outside of the box, but you are allowed to think diagonally in the box. - eugenebrooks [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Off-Season Events
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2018, 07:00 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute
So, don't do this ...

A scene from Finals 1 at GRGR yesterday afternoon.

I am very proud of the Average Joes and our girl powered drive team. They maintained high energy throughout the event.

However, I hope they will be paying closer attention to battery retention* next week at WMRI.

----
*Nope, no climbing points if your battery is hanging below the bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hangingbattery.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	23579  

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So, don't do this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
*Nope, no climbing points if your battery is hanging below the bricks.
Looks like a CLIMB to me, the battery isn't touching the ground, and bumpers are clearly above the bricks. Was it not called as such?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Misplaced Californian
FRC #1684 (The Chimeras)

Rookie Year: 2015
Niklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond repute

That should still award climb points. Your bumpers are above the line and unless I canít see it, the battery isnít in contact with the platform.

My views do not represent the views of my team
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2018, 07:26 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttyman54 View Post
Looks like a CLIMB to me, the battery isn't touching the ground, and bumpers are clearly above the bricks. Was it not called as such?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas701 View Post
That should still award climb points. Your bumpers are above the line and unless I canít see it, the battery isnít in contact with the platform.
I think you guys are right. TBA records only show scores, not RPs or match details. I recall a referee conference after the match, but don't know what it was about. Climb points would not have swung that match in any case; 3539 was killing it with their 2-cube auton all day. They grabbed the lead with it in both Finals matches and didn't make any mistakes that would have let our alliance catch up.

GRGR is getting more exciting and competitive every year. Thank you, organizers and volunteers who make it happen.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2018, 11:42 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible that the referees determined there was an S01 violation (loose battery) and the climb shouldn't have happened but they couldn't get to the disable fast enough. If the climb didn't count that's probably why. Otherwise, it should definitely count: Bumpers up, not contacting platform, fully supported by Scale.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2018, 11:47 PM
Registered Muser
no team (AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
It's possible that the referees determined there was an S01 violation (loose battery) and the climb shouldn't have happened but they couldn't get to the disable fast enough.
Is that a valid call though?
"Oh we should have disabled them and didn't, so this thing they did magically doesn't count?"

Also, is there any chance the battery was contacting/supported by the other robot's bumper? That'd negate a climb.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 12:14 AM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

After Einsteins 2017, we watch our battery HEAVILY. First and last thing checked on our pit checklist, a long with very heavy velcro holding the battery down, and velcro over our anderson connector to prevent it getting unplugged in the case of it falling out.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 12:17 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothron Theiss View Post
Is that a valid call though?
"Oh we should have disabled them and didn't, so this thing they did magically doesn't count?"

Also, is there any chance the battery was contacting/supported by the other robot's bumper? That'd negate a climb.
Might depend somewhat on the event rules. In general, probably not. I can't say I recall anything specific about that sort of situation offhand. (Though tiredness is setting in, courtesy of one of the local offseasons...)

And on the second point, no it wouldn't. It's not in direct contact with the Platform, and the other robot isn't in contact with the floor which would be the other argument possible.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2018, 09:13 AM
Drive/Programming/Webmaster
AKA: Nathan Strodtbeck
FRC #5980 (East Grand Rapids Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
NathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of light

Nonetheless, It was great seeing the Joes there this weekend! Always a pleasure to compete with and against you guys. Hopefully you'll see us at WMRI this weekend.

DRIVE TEAM Operator 2016: Worlds St. Louis | Driver 2017: Worlds St. Louis | Driver 2018: Worlds Detroit
"Its not about the robot""Build A Robot, Build a Team, Build a Future""Robots is hard"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2018, 09:38 AM
FRC #0558 (Elm City Robo Squad)

Rookie Year: 2005
Eric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond reputeEric Scheuing has a reputation beyond repute

In 2017 we had a velcro strap holding our battery in place. It ran through a couple eyehooks and worked great all season... up until it didnt. At DCMP in our second to last match, the velcro wore through and ripped, causing our battery to come flying out of the bot when we stopped short. Our camera was placed just above the battery, so the last thing our driver saw before we were disabled was the battery go flying. That's the last time I don't reinforce a battery strap...

Watch as the blue robot in front stops short.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: