OCCRA
Go to Post If you can spare 2 minutes (And I know you can, because the seasonís over and youíre STILL on Chief Delphi) - LVMastery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:50 PM

Rusted_Grail is an unknown quantity at this point
King of the Hill

If you are on top of the middle platform, hanging over but not touching the grating, and another robot runs into you and gets under that over hang, are you still king of the hill or have you taken the properties of that robot? What if the robot starts to lift you up and you are now leaning on it? What if you are completely on the robot except for some minor parts on the middle?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 10:32 PM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds
This is what I understand:

If any part of your robot, big or small is not touching the top - you do not receive the 25 points.

If you are hanging over the edge of the platform (breaking that plane) - you <edit> do receive the 25 points.

This is wrong: If you are touching a robot that is on the grating, you receive the 25 points. </edit>

Please correct me if I am wrong.

- Katie
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009

Last edited by Katie Reynolds : 01-06-2003 at 12:31 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 10:38 PM
I bent my wookie...
AKA: Bryan Duggan
#0027 (Team Rush)
Team Role: College Student

Bduggan04 will become famous soon enoughBduggan04 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Katie Reynolds
This is what I understand:

If any part of your robot, big or small is not touching the top - you do not receive the 25 points.

If you are hanging over the edge of the platform (breaking that plane) - you do not receive the 25 points.

If you are touching a robot that is on the grating, you "become part of" that robot. Since they are touching the grating, you do not receive the 25 points.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

- Katie
I think you might be, but maybe you can show which rule supports that. Here is the rule as in the manual:

SC11 Each robot touching only the top of the center platform at the end of the match is worth
25 points. You are not fully on top of the platform if any part of a robot is touching any
part of:
∑ The ramp;
∑ The field;
∑ The top or outside of the platform/ramp structure sidewalls;
∑ Both of the inside platform/ramp structure sidewalls at the same time.

I'm not sure where the the part about touching other robots, or breaking the plane is in the rules.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 10:42 PM
AKA: Garver
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1998
Mark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Mark Garver
Incorrect...

You are incorrect on two of your understandings...

1. If you are hanging over the edge of the platform (breaking that plane) - you do not receive the 25 points.

You can be over hanging, so long as you are not touching anything!!!

2. If you are touching a robot that is on the grating, you "become part of" that robot. Since they are touching the grating, you do not receive the 25 points.

This is not true. If you are solely supported by the platform or a robot that is solely supported by the platform you get the points. If they are touching you from off the platform, so long as you are not touching any part of the playing field besides the HDPE you get the points.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 11:10 PM
#0538 (Dragon Slayers)

Hendrix is an unknown quantity at this point
The way i understood the robot touching was this. If you are sitting on TOP of another robot that is on the top, you will get the 25 points, but if they are touching the ramp, so are you.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Hoonigan
AKA: Alexander S. McGee
no team (no team)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Alexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexander McGee Send a message via Yahoo to Alexander McGee
Re: Incorrect...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
You are incorrect on two of your understandings...

1. If you are hanging over the edge of the platform (breaking that plane) - you do not receive the 25 points.

You can be over hanging, so long as you are not touching anything!!!

2. If you are touching a robot that is on the grating, you "become part of" that robot. Since they are touching the grating, you do not receive the 25 points.

This is not true. If you are solely supported by the platform or a robot that is solely supported by the platform you get the points. If they are touching you from off the platform, so long as you are not touching any part of the playing field besides the HDPE you get the points.
yes, you are correct.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2003, 11:27 PM
Nelson G

Here is a crazy idea!!!!!!!

My idea is crazy and may well be illegal, but with the robot on top of a robot they never specified how much of the robot had to be on top to take on the characteristics of the bottom.

Even though SC11 states that you can't be touching any parts except the top, when I heard them explain the bot on top rule they said that a robot on top of the other robot takes on the characteristics of the bottom bot( 25 points for on, 0 for off). They did not say how much of the bot had to be on top.

Here comes my crazy idea. create a mini tethered bot (I would definitely have to find the ruling on this too) to climb on top of an opponents bot. This would give it the bottoms characteristics to me, 25 pts, or cause the bottom bot to move of the ramp and negate his own points.

If you have thought on this, especially as to the rules addressing either the bots on top and also the mini-bot because I see a lot of potential for its use.

Another question real quick. Does the top robot have to climb on top of the bottom robot. Does anyone know the rules addressing this.

Nelson Green
Team 1108
Panther Robotics
Paola Kansas
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2003, 02:40 PM
#0933 (Adler Attack)

n[ate]vw is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to n[ate]vw
The tethered robot sounds like a good idea, however, I doubt you could get points with it. It might detract from the other robot, at least. I haven't seen these rules written, only talked about at the get-together thing.
See the thread about one robot on top of each other for what was said at the conference our team members attended. It seems like the robot needs to be completely on top, or at least not touching anything but the robot it is on top of to gain points.

And, no, the robot does not have to lift itself, it could be lifted by another.

Rule SC-12 says "any part that is still connected to the robot, no matter how loosely is considered a part of the robot". This rule might be only "in the event that" a bot breaks apart, but I think a tethered bot would still be allowable. Rule DQ9 also leads me to think that as long as a part is attached, it is considered part of the robot.

So tethers are cool; touching something besides the top of the ramp or robot, probably not.

Last edited by n[ate]vw : 01-07-2003 at 02:48 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: