OCCRA
Go to Post Find what your team is good at, and use it in any way you can. - karomata [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.05 average. Display Modes
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:25 PM
AKA: Eric
FRC #0612 (Chantilly Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
seg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 301 points! and could have done more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvash View Post
And as to people having an issue with this match, nowhere in the rules does it say that you must play with a certain strategy, if anything all the teams did was just Assist each other and have fun.
Never said it was against the rules. I'm just thinking about external impressions. I compare FRC to a major sporting event. What if the primary sponsor of the NFL told all the players in the Superbowl they would get a financial incentive if both teams scored at least 10 touchdowns? Both teams agree and play no defense. No rules were broken but I guarantee you there will be very angry football fans, especially the ones who paid $1500/ticket to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconmaster
It wasn't the money, it was the challenge!
In this case, I challenge your team to see how high you can get your scores via penalties. Have your human player run out onto the field. Let a drive coach take up the controls. I wonder how many G40 violations the refs would call if the rule was violated for the entire match duration. I won't give you any money for this activity, but it would be fun to see what point value the FMS is designed to max out at, huh?

Team 204 Student 2001, 2002 (Voorhees, NJ)
Team 1493 College Mentor 2006 - 2008 (Troy, NY)
Team 2150 Intern/Professional Mentor 2007, 2009 (Palos Verdes)
Team 4123 Lead Engineering Mentor 2012 (Bellflower, CA)
Team 4276 Engineering Mentor 2012-Present (Huntington Beach, CA)
Team 612 Engineering Mentor (Chantilly, VA) Present
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:26 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

I see all these people complaining about the FIRST game having perverse penalties for playing defense...then we play without defense, and still people complain.

I give up.
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM
AKA: Ledge
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

falconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to falconmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodar View Post
Something doesn't match here.
In AZ a tax credit donation is 400 dollars and the person who donates it gets it back dollar for dollar. We get many tax credit donations annually. Money was the way to get us to pay attention to the challenge. Teams spend way more than 500 dollars on stuff for just one regional. Again you are looking for stuff to win an argument. We in AZ did want we felt was in our best interest and none of us have a problem with it. Is there any AZ person posting here with your POV? Apparently there is nothing we can explain to help you understand our reasoning. We saw another way to play the game and we took it. No regrets. Feel what you want, say what you want, we can't be swayed to your reasoning either....
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Robots For All
AKA: noops
FRC #1648

Rookie Year: 2009
Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForbes View Post
I see all these people complaining about the FIRST game having perverse penalties for playing defense...then we play without defense, and still people complain.

I give up.
Similarly, people complain about poorly constructed robots and the new G27 update, but praise alliances for giving up their timeout so the other alliance can repair their robots. Sometimes the FIRST community is very conflicting and confusing.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:31 PM

falconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I give up.
How come you can say stuff simpler than me. You should be a WFA winner. Its that art of communication thing.
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Internet User
no team
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2010
Nathan Rossi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I give up.
The same can be said for the G27 update, but that's for another topic.
VRC 2014-2016: Team #8800 Phoenix Lights
FRC 2013-2016: Team #1492 Team CAUTION
FLL 2012-13: Team #22 Block of Ages, AZ State Champions
FLL 2011-12: Team #5252 Contamination Crushers
FLL 2010-11: Rookie Team #6068 Block Heads, Mechanical Design Award
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:34 PM
AKA: David Forbes
FRC #4183 (Bit Buckets)

Rookie Year: 2011
nixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond reputenixiebunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seg9585 View Post
Never said it was against the rules. I'm just thinking about external impressions. I compare FRC to a major sporting event. What if the primary sponsor of the NFL told all the players in the Superbowl they would get a financial incentive if both teams scored at least 10 touchdowns?
The match in question was the last match of an event with 100 matches played. Your comparison to a sporting event would actually be the equivalent of the two teams making ONE PLAY without defense.
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:34 PM
anonymous internet person

s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And what was so wrong as to achieve the challenge set forth by FIRST that it had to be modified by a sponsor?
I need some clarification... what exactly was FIRST's challenge?

It seems to me that the collaboration between the alliances in the finals to set a high score was a very "GP" performance, even neglecting the achievement goal set forth by one of our regionals primary sponsors.
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:35 PM
FRC #1251 (Tech Tigers)

Rookie Year: 2007
dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixiebunny View Post
The match in question was the last match of an event with 100 matches played. Your comparison to a sporting event would actually be the equivalent of the two teams making ONE PLAY without defense.
Actually it would be a better comparison to the 2nd half of a Championship Game.

Mechanical Engineering - UCF(Class of 2016)
Mechanical Engineer - Sonny's Enterprises
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seg9585 View Post
Never said it was against the rules. I'm just thinking about external impressions. I compare FRC to a major sporting event. What if the primary sponsor of the NFL told all the players in the Superbowl they would get a financial incentive if both teams scored at least 10 touchdowns? Both teams agree and play no defense. No rules were broken but I guarantee you there will be very angry football fans, especially the ones who paid $1500/ticket to see it.

My response to your first part: We are not paid athletes and the audience was not upset, on the contrary they got more excited. Plus there was no admission fee. Your analogy is not accurate. The money was not there to get us to give up competing, just the method of competing under the GP umbrella. Steve Sanghi is on the board of directors of FIRST.

In this case, I challenge your team to see how high you can get your scores via penalties. Have your human player run out onto the field. Let a drive coach take up the controls. I wonder how many G40 violations the refs would call if the rule was violated for the entire match duration. I won't give you any money for this activity, but it would be fun to see what point value the FMS is designed to max out at, huh?
I don't understand the point of this avenue of discussion. I can't respond to this one.....If you can't see what we were trying to do then I can't help you.
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:37 PM
FRC #1251 (Tech Tigers)

dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post

It seems to me that the collaboration between the alliances in the finals to set a high score was a very "GP" performance, even neglecting the achievement goal set forth by one of our regionals primary sponsors.
FIRST didnt set up a good portion of the rulebook to govern defensive play just for alliances to completely disregard it by saying we wont touch you if you dont touch us. The game was made to have defense.

Would you consider this "GP" if this was performed during quals to get as many assist points as possible?

#87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:38 PM

s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would you consider this "GP" if this was performed during quals to get as many assist points as possible?
Yes.
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM
FRC #1251 (Tech Tigers)

Quote:
Yes.
All I can say to that is wow.

#89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:

He is also on the board of directors of FIRST.
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
All I can say to that is wow.
Me too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: