OCCRA
Go to Post I might be singing a different tune if I get a water jet for Christmas. :) - FrankJ [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC 95 2018 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
Looks good. I assumes this means no drop center? Have you guys played around with that at all? From experience 3467 ran into issues with this after our chassis was machined.
Thanks! You are correct, no drop. We used a flat 6wd last year and absolutely loved it, even geared for 17ft/s single-speed with 6 CIMs. We used Colson wheels, which have a nice rounded edges. I imagine using a flat 6WD with a wheel that has a sharp corner or flange, like a plaction or hi-grip, the edge might dig in and make turning awful.

Credit where it is due: 125 used a flat 6WD in 2014, which gave us confidence to try it, and the FRC Design Calculator Rev 0 was used to calculate turning FoS ahead of testing to make sure that we were not asking for the impossible.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 09:16 AM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
Thanks! You are correct, no drop. We used a flat 6wd last year and absolutely loved it, even geared for 17ft/s single-speed with 6 CIMs. We used Colson wheels, which have a nice rounded edges. I imagine using a flat 6WD with a wheel that has a sharp corner or flange, like a plaction or hi-grip, the edge might dig in and make turning awful.

Credit where it is due: 125 used a flat 6WD in 2014, which gave us confidence to try it, and the FRC Design Calculator Rev 0 was used to calculate turning FoS ahead of testing to make sure that we were not asking for the impossible.
Nice that it worked for you guys. We drew inspiration from the same place that year (125 in 2014), but ended up shaving down our outer Colsons 1/16th.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nice that it worked for you guys. We drew inspiration from the same place that year (125 in 2014), but ended up shaving down our outer Colsons 1/16th.
At least that was an easy fix!

It's also worth noting that we were well under-weight: 95lbs before bumpers and battery. <120lbs with.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))

Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:
This is the biggest advantage to using Colsons IMO. "Drop tuning" as we like to call it. Amount of needed drop can vary wildly based on wheelbase foot print & CG, so having the ability to do that quickly after the robot is all together is a huge benefit.

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
2015 South Florida Regional Chairman's Award, NU District Winners, NEDCMP Industrial Design Award, Hopper Division Finalists, Hopper/Newton Gracious Professionalism Award

Last edited by Brandon Holley : 01-11-2018 at 09:25 AM.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Hardcore Dork

We're expecting chassis parts to be complete by this Tuesday, much earlier than anticipated.

Prototyping of power cube intakes has yielded interesting results, and we're going to pursue a design that we haven't seen in any of the Ri3D robots. But more on that later.

Our general power cube related CAD is progressing, taking heavy influence from 254 in 2011, our own 2015 robot Lovelace, and 1519 in 2016.

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 10:53 AM
AKA: Ben Bennett
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
BenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond reputeBenB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: By The Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
...this is the simple math that goes into computing a value quantity from a weighted decision matrix.
The SUMPRODUCT function is an even simpler way of doing this math.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Hardcore Dork

Latest CAD screen shot. The tower is coming together, as is a 4-bar linkage to move our cube collector. Still outstanding is the cube collector geometry, which has been subject to pervasive prototyping; the spool assembly for the lift; and our solution to climbing, which has finally left the concept phase.

#23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
FRC #5682

team5682zs is an unknown quantity at this point

How tall is your robot? It was brought to my attention by 3005 to watch for Center of Gravity on the Cable Protectors and the Ramp, and while the height limit is 55 inches, a SCALE with OWNERSHIP is only 48 inches of clearance.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 02:20 PM
FRC #5682

team5682zs is an unknown quantity at this point

Great looking build. I noticed the Pneumatics on the underside of your robot. We were thinking the same. If those were for CLIMBING from direct contact with the PLATFORM, Q134 of the Q&A was explicit in the clarification for CLIMBING.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by team5682zs View Post
How tall is your robot? It was brought to my attention by 3005 to watch for Center of Gravity on the Cable Protectors and the Ramp, and while the height limit is 55 inches, a SCALE with OWNERSHIP is only 48 inches of clearance.
Fully closed-down it is 54in. Right now everything is modeled to provide maximum height when extended, but we intend to shorten down the elevator once all components are modeled and we can be sure of our maximum attainable height. We intend to be able to deliver cubes onto a SCALE without OWNERSHIP, perhaps even on top of a first row of cubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team5682zs View Post
Great looking build. I noticed the Pneumatics on the underside of your robot. We were thinking the same. If those were for CLIMBING from direct contact with the PLATFORM, Q134 of the Q&A was explicit in the clarification for CLIMBING.
Those images are from our pre-season drive base and those air cylinders are used as brakes. They do not lift the robot enough to violate any rules.

#26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Sam
FRC #4087 (Falcon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
clydefrog88 is a glorious beacon of lightclydefrog88 is a glorious beacon of lightclydefrog88 is a glorious beacon of lightclydefrog88 is a glorious beacon of lightclydefrog88 is a glorious beacon of light

This is always one of, if not my favorite, threads of the year. It’s very cool to see some of our design choices echoed. Do you guys intend on climbing? We are attempting to implement a similar POWER CUBE elevator system but have encountered packaging woes with what we’ve referred to as a “buddy climber”. I’m fairly certain we can climb on our own but we’d absolutely love to bring another machine with us.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog88 View Post
This is always one of, if not my favorite, threads of the year. It’s very cool to see some of our design choices echoed. Do you guys intend on climbing? We are attempting to implement a similar POWER CUBE elevator system but have encountered packaging woes with what we’ve referred to as a “buddy climber”. I’m fairly certain we can climb on our own but we’d absolutely love to bring another machine with us.
Thanks! It's always nice to hear that our work is appreciated.

We have a climbing plan that we just conceived of yesterday. It's higher-risk than we normally tackle, so we're going to get the core capabilities of our robot designed first, namely ground-loading CUBES and scoring in all SCALE positions, while leaving the space we think we need open for the climb mechanisms. Then we're planning on designing the climb stuff soon-ish.

We anticipate that a good cube-handler will be competitive at a Week 1 event (our first) and that we'll have time to finalize our climbing mechanisms before our second event in Week 3. Hopefully we get into our Week 5 wait-list event and have time fine-tune everything in competition.

#28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2018, 05:32 AM
Hardcore Dork

Chassis parts arrived last night!

Progressive Manufacturing does some stellar work!

CAD for the balance of the cube handling and scoring components is complete, at least for the first iteration!

#29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2018, 06:04 AM
Predictor and Neatifier
AKA: Cam Ogden
FRC #3324 (The MetroBots)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
Cog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant future

What diameter are those intake wheels? They look quite large!

Unless you're Team Hammond in 2002
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2018, 06:52 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog View Post
What diameter are those intake wheels? They look quite large!
We're starting from ~5in and will wrap a little more material around it. The friction material is TBD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: