OCCRA
Go to Post Earlier this week it took me a little bit too long to realize that the reason my pen wasn't writing correctly was that it was actually a screwdriver. I'm going to have to ask for a few nights of honest sleep before signing off on a report. - EricVanWyk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2018, 11:38 AM
FRC #0857 (Superior Roboworks) FTC 10723 & 13284 (SnowBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Christopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC 95 2018 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
This gives us ~30lbs to play with for ramps, which I think will be plenty.
Not sure what your design is, but I'd be happy if we kept our ramps within 38 lbs.

2018: Industrial Design, Excellence in Engineering, Team Spirit, Darwin Division
2017: Gracious Professionalism, Creativity
2016: Creativity, Team Spirit
2015: Industrial Design, Excellence in Engineering, District Finalist, Archimedes Division (#6 alliance captain)
2014: Judges Award, District Engineering Inspiration, District Finalist, Galileo Division

#107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher149 View Post
Not sure what your design is, but I'd be happy if we kept our ramps within 38 lbs.
38lbs?!

We're building with sheet metal, thin polycarbonate, and one active mechanism to release them.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Founder of COR Robotics
AKA: Ryan Swanson
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
Ginger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
38lbs?!

We're building with sheet metal, thin polycarbonate, and one active mechanism to release them.
The difference between passive and active ramps...
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 07:36 AM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute
Ramps!

Amid the storm on Week 4 Teasers, here's something not too teaser-y.

We've settled on ramp geometry. We used the AM14U Long configuration as a benchmark and have two ramps of comparable geometry but different construction to choose from. The tubular design, on the right, is a bit lighter but includes 21 built parts per assembly. The sheet metal version, on the left, is a little heavier, but is only 5 built parts. I'm not including OTS components like hinges, air springs, and standoffs in those counts, they are the same in each case and require little or no effort to acquire. Not pictured: polycarbonate deck panels, gripping material for wheel traction, and release mechanism.

The specs:

~21 approach angle
152 break-over angle
10.9in deck height
18.75in deck length, 20.75in from our leading frame perimeter
32in wide approach, with clearance for adjacent bumpers

Ostensibly any 6WD comparable to the AM14U can drive up 'heavy' end first and tip into a 'climbed' position.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 09:23 AM
FRC #4242

apm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant future
Re: Ramps!

Quote:
Amid the storm on Week 4 Teasers, here's something not too teaser-y.

The specs:

~21 approach angle
152 break-over angle
10.9in deck height
18.75in deck length, 20.75in from our leading frame perimeter
32in wide approach, with clearance for adjacent bumpers

Ostensibly any 6WD comparable to the AM14U can drive up 'heavy' end first and tip into a 'climbed' position.
I like the design, but does that geometry work? The AM14U in the long configuration is around 38.5" with bumpers. I suppose the deck would be around 5" from the outrigger wall (your bumpers + the 2" rung wall offset). It might just work.
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm4242 View Post
I like the design, but does that geometry work? The AM14U in the long configuration is around 38.5" with bumpers. I suppose the deck would be around 5" from the outrigger wall (your bumpers + the 2" rung wall offset). It might just work.
The front of the AM14U frame is ~16.1in from the center axle. The deck extends ~20.75in from the front of our frame. So, assuming both robots' bumpers hit the same thing, we'll have ~4.6in of extra deck space.

Edit: your comment reminded us of the 2in offset from the tower, a very important detail that we overlooked the first time through! Thanks! We'll be relocating everything rearwards by ~2in to compensate.

Last edited by JamesCH95 : 02-05-2018 at 09:42 AM.
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Former Design and CAD Captain 1086
AKA: Alexander Kaplan
FRC #0401 (Copperhead Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Electronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond repute

How does your CG look before and after adding the ramps? That was one of my biggest hang ups with doing ramps since raised bumpers with a high cg is a pretty scary combination.

1086-2010-2013 student, 2013-2016 mentor
401-2017 mentor, 2018- remote advice giver

Participating in Virginia Tech's AM Grand Challenge as part of team Kragle (we have been selected to be 1 of 10 teams to compete in the final round).
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronica1 View Post
How does your CG look before and after adding the ramps? That was one of my biggest hang ups with doing ramps since raised bumpers with a high cg is a pretty scary combination.
I'm not sure.

We intend to check through testing. We're looking at 2x assemblies at ~10lbs each with their own CGs about 27in off the ground.

Without the ramps or bumpers our drive base with elevator and cube at max height we have to drive full-stick forward to full-stick reverse in low gear to tip it over. Certainly with ramps that will get worse, but hopefully not so bad that we have to be overly careful. Our controls solution is to look at the Athena's accelerometer to chop down throttle if we're tipping if we need to.

#114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Loving the robot this year. What drove you to do this wider style of ramp over simple side-flip-out ones?

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Loving the robot this year. What drove you to do this wider style of ramp over simple side-flip-out ones?
Thanks!

A few things drove us that way:

-If the ramps are aimed at your superstructure (i.e. side-on) guess what an overly enthusiastic robot is going to crash into? We didn't want to roll those dice!
-Drivers approaching side-on have to deal with the scale's plates
-Drivers approaching side-on have to rely heavily on depth perception to align onto the ramp
-Drivers approaching end-on (i.e. our design) have a good visual indication of how they are aligned without depth perception
-End-on folding geometry lets us make the ramp target as wide as we have height, which is to say much wider than side-on ramps (for the same number of DoFs)
-End-on folding geometry lets us unfold everything with low-force gas springs and gravity more easily than other folding concepts we looked at

#116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks!

A few things drove us that way:

-If the ramps are aimed at your superstructure (i.e. side-on) guess what an overly enthusiastic robot is going to crash into? We didn't want to roll those dice!
-Drivers approaching side-on have to deal with the scale's plates
-Drivers approaching side-on have to rely heavily on depth perception to align onto the ramp
-Drivers approaching end-on (i.e. our design) have a good visual indication of how they are aligned without depth perception
-End-on folding geometry lets us make the ramp target as wide as we have height, which is to say much wider than side-on ramps (for the same number of DoFs)
-End-on folding geometry lets us unfold everything with low-force gas springs and gravity more easily than other folding concepts we looked at
Those are awesome reasons, thanks! This is making me re-evaluate our entire robot thought process...

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 02:26 PM
AKA: Rick O'Donnell
FRC #2876 (Devilbotz)

Rookie Year: 2011
rwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud of

Quote:
I feel like this is the only reason you need! :-)
Quote:
It also means the ramp target is shorter than it could be - they won't be able to drive very long into it, and it may mean teams will slide backward at the end.
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Those are awesome reasons, thanks! This is making me re-evaluate our entire robot thought process...
Happy to 'help'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwodonnell View Post
I feel like this is the only reason you need! :-)

It also means the ramp target is shorter than it could be - they won't be able to drive very long into it, and it may mean teams will slide backward at the end.
This is true. However, it was within our requirements, which I alluded to earlier: work for an AM14U 6WD Long when driven on 'heavy' end first. We don't expect it to work for every robot, we're hoping that it works for a enough of the 'right' robots. Executing ramps that were nearly universal were deemed a little to complicated for us to successfully execute.

#119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Steve Bennett
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)

Rookie Year: 2004
Bennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant futureBennett548 has a brilliant future

Quote:
10.9in deck height
Are you worried about teams with sagging or low bumpers?
  #120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett548 View Post
Are you worried about teams with sagging or low bumpers?
Absolutely. Teams will poor bumpers won't be able to be considered climbed. However, we don't anticipate many teams with bumpers under 1in (because of the cable covers at 3/4in) and the AM14U chassis mounts them 2in up, giving us 0.8in of margin.

We are hoping (perhaps against hope) that other teams were/are thinking about how they might get onto ramp or lift bots and facilitate good lifting by having their bumpers towards the high end of the spec.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: