Go to Post Common sense goes a long way. - Akash Rastogi [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Getting ready for the break
FRC #0832
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Use Of Punctuation In A Post And What Is Annoying or Confusing

I don't know, I really like to use, these,
comma, things and avoid any other
punctuation or any other sort of
paragraphing or white space and any
other kind of well established constructs
to help improve the readability of large
blocks of text or to maybe separate the
logical thoughts into a sequence or
something I mean whats the fun if you
can read something easily and under
stand it without having to think bcz
kids 2day hav it 2 ez & they nevr hav 2
think of stuff and stuff.

Jane, can you re-post yours on January 10 please?

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rotolo View Post
I will second Don's request. Jane, please renew this topic after kickoff.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Chezy Chezy Champs Champs
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2008
NickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is somewhat unrelated, but this is also an annoyance to me:

Often, I see posts referring to specific people on teams who are probably not know to most people. This is confusing. Please specify who you are referring to in a method that is clear to all. For example, instead of saying: "John Smith suggested that we lighten the part," instead say: "Our Mentor, John Smith, suggested that we lighten the part."

Also, please take inner-team communication elsewhere (Private Messages, Team Forum, Instant Messaging, Email, etc.). This is a public forum, after all.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I will second Don's request. Jane, please renew this topic after kickoff.

Brevity is the soul of wit.
I don't know if that would be considered a bump. I don't have the whole bump thing figured out. Also, I'd have to get around the whole I-started-this-thread-so-you-need-to-read-it thing but I'll think about it. Probably the first 'HELP!!!!!!' thread will push me out of the discomfort zone.

Thank you for making the suggestion, Don and Richard.
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 11-05-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

I can use a semicolon; with a little practice anyone can do it.

Using paragraphs also makes posts much easier to read.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:34 PM
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2009
Ryan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant futureRyan Simpson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler View Post
Extra credit will go to anyone who correctly uses a semi-colon in a post.
Grammar and spelling are important; they should not be overlooked.

(Do I get extra credit? )

Everything that was said here is true. When you use bad grammar, you look like you are uneducated and unintelligent. That should be enough motivation to double-check what you are typing before you actually post it.

Another thing that's really obnoxious is the overuse of the caps lock button. Simply stating an opinion is more than enough to get the point across. I have found that the more you talk, the less likely it is that people will listen to you.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rotolo View Post
I don't know, I really like to use, these,
comma, things and avoid any other
punctuation or any other sort of
paragraphing or white space and any
other kind of well established constructs
to help improve the readability of large
blocks of text or to maybe separate the
logical thoughts into a sequence or
something I mean whats the fun if you
can read something easily and under
stand it without having to think bcz
kids 2day hav it 2 ez & they nevr hav 2
think of stuff and stuff.

I actually had to skip over this entire post. I just couldn't read it (my inner editor began flailing and twitching as soon as they realized that that entire thing was one sentence). Seeing things like this makes me wonder if the poster cares about their reputation at all - constantly doing something like that really makes you seem like an immature, irresponsible person.

Hmm...I was going to rant about how little people care about their appearance/reputation these days, and how little common sense is used, but I'll save that for another time, or another forum.

(and I'd like my extra credit too...I did this one without even realizing it. Semi-colons are my BFFs)
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): MidKnight Mayhem '18, Ramp Riot '18, Brunswick Eruption '18, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16 '18, MAR Hatboro-Horsham B '18, Brunswick Eruption '16 '17, Ramp Riot '15 '16 '17, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:18 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
my inner editor began flailing and twitching as soon as they realized that that entire thing was one sentence
Emphasis added. The Earth must be irony all the way to the core.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
my inner editor began flailing and twitching as soon as they realized that that entire thing was one sentence
You mean like:

Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Out of curiosity, do they still do sentence diagramming in schools?

#25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Chezy Chezy Champs Champs
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

NickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
I've never had it taught to me.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 12:36 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ouch. I had that several times a year pretty much from grade school to senior year of high school. If anybody wants to learn, PM me.

Jane, if you're uncomfortable bumping the thread around early January, I might remember to do it. I was also considering publishing the contents of a document I've titled "The Seven Deadly Sins of Chief Delphi", which is on the topic of common flame-war starters and the avoidance thereof, before too terribly long.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 12:55 AM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I learned it in middle school. It's annoying and useless if you have a basic understanding of how a sentence is written. Which you have to in order to use them.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I used to like sentence diagramming.

You know, now someone could come up with an interdisciplinary exercise. Teach your computer to diagram sentences. Use a limited vocabulary, something closer to Green Eggs and Ham than Shakespeare. Word recognition, graphics and grammar all at the same time. Wouldn't that be fun?
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

To add to Jane and Andy posts above. Please remember that the only communication you have with all of the members here is through your writing. Those who read what you post may not meet you face to face, this year or next. Make a good impression by reading your post before submitting. If you are posting in a volatile thread, take some time to think out your response. I sometimes take a few hours or even a day so that I can simmer down on an emotional issue before I post.

A personal request for me is to complete your online profile. In that way, I will know your name when responding. I still find it hard to begin a post with "Dear Robogeekfromsomewherebeyondthegalaxy". Dear Jason or Amanda is so much nicer. On engineering replies, it is helpful for mentors to know that they are composing a response for a student, an alumni or a mentor.
www.wildstang.org
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Jane, if you're uncomfortable bumping the thread around early January, I might remember to do it. I was also considering publishing the contents of a document I've titled "The Seven Deadly Sins of Chief Delphi", which is on the topic of common flame-war starters and the avoidance thereof, before too terribly long.
Thank you, Eric.

"The Seven Deadly Sins of Chief Delphi" sounds like it would be an interesting read.

Kara, if you want to add your thoughts about appearance and reputation - add them. Something to keep in mind is that the membership in ChiefDelphi is comprised of all ages. When we occasionally read threads about the frustrations regarding the immature and uncaring attitudes and behaviors of team members - we can think of that on a larger scale and apply it to ChiefDelphi. When members first join, it may be a whole new world to them. They bring their experiences with them and apply those experiences to their posts here. The people who don't care about how they communicate, type, or conduct themselves, usually don't stick around. The people who begin to care or learn to care, usually improve over time. That's pretty cool.

It wasn't too long ago that I was thinking, "hm, what does this button do?" and pressed a smiley or a quote button or a submit button too soon. I was a whole lot like WALL•E and managed to create a mess a few times. It was then that I learned how generous and helpful everyone was. I would send a pm to them to ask for help and they would tell me what to do. It's an amazing feeling to have so much help readily available in such a friendly way. I still ask for help and folks still help me. The difference is that now many of them have become my friends and that's pretty cool.

Edit: Al, I was typing while you posted. It can be awkward not to know a person's first name but you always seem to handle that with ease and grace. I often think of you as a guide when responding to a no-name poster. I think, 'What would Al say?', and then I'm good to go.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 11-06-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: WALL•E (it's just a dot but still... ) :)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: