Go to Post Reading the directions is as important as reading the manual. - the man [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#181   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC 95 2018 Build Thread

A shot of the climber as currently implemented. We're likely going to change the hook to engage while the elevator is moving up.

The hook is custom made, our usual #10awg aluminum with standoff construction. The latches are steel, a MK2 iteration after we bent aluminum ones. They are retracted with orange silicone rubber bands that have been a staple on our robots since 2014. The rope is a spectra rope with coaxial laced elastics to keep slack under control. The winch has two 775 pros, geared 70:1 each with a 1/2in hex spindle. The fairlead at the top of the rail is an OTS McMaster part.

The hook is attached with matched-pole magnet pairs that have been colored with gaffers tape and then covered in HDPE tape. I hope to have a good close-up of that setup soon.

We have a few more massages to make. Changing the hook orientation, cutting the mounting bar to the right length, making a new magnet plate, and implementing closed-loop position control on the winch.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #182   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 10:24 AM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
A shot of the climber as currently implemented. We're likely going to change the hook to engage while the elevator is moving up.

The hook is custom made, our usual #10awg aluminum with standoff construction. The latches are steel, a MK2 iteration after we bent aluminum ones. They are retracted with orange silicone rubber bands that have been a staple on our robots since 2014. The rope is a spectra rope with coaxial laced elastics to keep slack under control. The winch has two 775 pros, geared 70:1 each with a 1/2in hex spindle. The fairlead at the top of the rail is an OTS McMaster part.

The hook is attached with matched-pole magnet pairs that have been colored with gaffers tape and then covered in HDPE tape. I hope to have a good close-up of that setup soon.

We have a few more massages to make. Changing the hook orientation, cutting the mounting bar to the right length, making a new magnet plate, and implementing closed-loop position control on the winch.
What is that you have on the top of the elevator for the rope to slide through? Is that a pulley or almost just like a eyebolt?

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #183   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type View Post
What is that you have on the top of the elevator for the rope to slide through? Is that a pulley or almost just like a eyebolt?
It's generically know as a 'plain fairlead' or 'swiveling tie-down' and is from McMaster.

Essentially, yes, it's just an eye-bolt. The big differences are that it is welded closed, all of the interior surfaces are polished smooth, and it swivels nicely.

I got the idea for a fairlead from my off-roading experience, where spectra rope and plain fairleads are used all the time:

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #184   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Hardcore Dork

Here is the rough CAD model of most of our collector changes for DCMP.

The wrist is significantly shorter, getting the cubes closer to the tower and allowing us to use bigger Chain Maw bars and get more margin on 45į cubes, our biggest weakness in collecting currently. This also puts the force from ramming a cube into a wall through our chassis, not the collector, which should improve robustness.

We pulled the closing cylinder back further to keep it out of harms way both from rammed cubes and from coming down on top of cubes.

All of these improvements center around a better packaging of our wrist cylinders. We've mounted them side-by-side with nose and tail nuts through two plates (very short) instead of going end-to-end co-axially as we have with every other design this year (much longer). This one packaging tweak has let us remove many of the known weaknesses in our collector, and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner!

Our electronics guard had to change shape somewhat to fit with this new collector geometry.

Last edited by JamesCH95 : 04-04-2018 at 06:36 PM.
  #185   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Hardcore Dork

NEDCMP proved that our upgrades all worked effectively. Our drivers liked the improved pickup, we never had significant damage to anything on our collector or carriage, and we successfully climbed in several matches.

Despite the improvements we had quite a wild ride of luck at NEDCMP. A few brutal matches, our first radio power failure in two seasons, and an xbox controller breakaway coming loose prevented us from reaching what I think our full potential was.

Still though, we had a blast playing with some great NE teams. It's always good to see old friends at NEDCMP, and we were fortunate enough to make some new ones.

4557 and 4564 - your drive teams were awesome to work with behind the glass, the epitome of great alliance partners and GP conduct. It was our pleasure to work with you.

While we have qualified for the Detroit Championship, we will be declining the invitation due to lack of mentor availability and general team exhaustion. A special thanks to 6933 and 195 for offering to help get us there regardless! We appreciate the offers. A note to other teams who are wavering back and forth on going to worlds - ask for help! There are a lot of teams who are willing to help get you there!

We have three goals for this offseason:
  • Participate in one or more offseason events to train new drivers
  • Implement a pathfinder-esque auto control
  • Strip down our practice robot and attach some sort of vision-based turret control (something we'ver never quite executed in the past)

We are looking forward to providing another build thread for next year, and maybe one for ongoing off-season work if people are interested. We really appreciated all of the positive and constructive feedback that we got on our thread this year, especially those who stopped by our pits at each competition. We got a lot of good feedback related to posting our failures this year. This something that we believe strongly in doing. So many teams only see highlight reels and 'best of' clips of other teams, resulting a skewed comparison of ones own robot and team to everyone else's. We will continue to post about our failures and mistakes in the hope that others can learn from them and/or take solace in the fact that they're not the only ones who are struggling at times. To that end, here is a video of auto testing gone somewhat awry. I wish we had a clip of our robot going full-on Dukes of Hazard into the platform, catching air, and then face-planting into our practice field switch. I about pissed myself laughing when that happened.

Good luck to everyone going to Worlds!

#186   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 08:58 AM
All Orange, All The Time.
FRC #4564 (Orange Chaos)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2013
Drew4564 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
4557 and 4564 - your drive teams were awesome to work with behind the glass, the epitome of great alliance partners and GP conduct. It was our pleasure to work with you.

While we have qualified for the Detroit Championship, we will be declining the invitation due to lack of mentor availability and general team exhaustion. A special thanks to 6933 and 195 for offering to help get us there regardless! We appreciate the offers. A note to other teams who are wavering back and forth on going to worlds - ask for help! There are a lot of teams who are willing to help get you there!

Good luck to everyone going to Worlds!
James, you and all of Team 95 were an absolute blast to work with, and although our playoff run was short, those were easily my favorite matches of the event. Kepler is a fantastic scale-scoring machine with an even better drive team at the controls, and itís always a show when you guys hit the field!

Iím admittedly bummed that you guys wonít be going to Detroit, as I and the rest of 4564 wanted to root you on as you whizzed around the field and represented New England well. Your reasons for not going are the same as ours, though, so itís understandable.

Hopefully weíll end up at the same off-season events this year, because two matches together just wasnít enough. Best of luck in everything The Grasshoppers do this off-season!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
2013: Rookie All Star Award and Curie Division 8th Seed Alliance Captain
2014: Gracious Professionalism Award and Innovation in Control Award
2015: Pine Tree #1 Seed and Champion, 2x Innovation in Control Award, #Buttongate Victim
2016: WPI #1 Seed, NEDCMP #1 Seed and Finalists, Excellence in Engineering Award, Creativty Award
  #187   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 09:26 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Is that kitty structural, or for superior performance?

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['16-'16]: Floating Mentor FRC 228
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)
  #188   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Programming and Controls Mentor
FRC #5687 (The Outliers)

Rookie Year: 2015
BenBernard will become famous soon enoughBenBernard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm bummed we won't be seeing you in Detroit, but I totally understand your constraints. There will be some Grasshopper shirts representing you there anyhow!

Quote:
We have three goals for this offseason:
  • Participate in one or more offseason events to train new drivers
  • Implement a pathfinder-esque auto control
  • Strip down our practice robot and attach some sort of vision-based turret control (something we'ver never quite executed in the past)
  • Please consider Summer Heat in South Portland, ME!
  • We played around a lot with pathfinder and with 254's trajectory library this year...we'd be happy to share what we've learned.
  • For vision control, I recommend looking into the JeVois. While the Limelight is a more complete and self-contained solution, it's also MUCH more expensive.

Last edited by BenBernard : 04-16-2018 at 10:10 AM.
  #189   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
Is that kitty structural, or for superior performance?
Mostly it's just something I insert into the CAD, typically in the worst possible place, when James isn't looking. For teh lulz.

There were a few kitties on the robot this year, but all of them got taken off as parts were replaced and upgraded. I attribute our poor luck to the lack of kitties, although others attribute our poor luck earlier in the season to the abundance of kitties.

Maybe we should try puppies, next season.
  #190   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew4564 View Post
James, you and all of Team 95 were an absolute blast to work with, and although our playoff run was short, those were easily my favorite matches of the event. Kepler is a fantastic scale-scoring machine with an even better drive team at the controls, and itís always a show when you guys hit the field!

Iím admittedly bummed that you guys wonít be going to Detroit, as I and the rest of 4564 wanted to root you on as you whizzed around the field and represented New England well. Your reasons for not going are the same as ours, though, so itís understandable.

Hopefully weíll end up at the same off-season events this year, because two matches together just wasnít enough. Best of luck in everything The Grasshoppers do this off-season!
Thank you very much! I hope you guys kept a few of the Grasshopper hats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBernard View Post
I'm bummed we won't be seeing you in Detroit, but I totally understand your constraints. There will be some Grasshopper shirts representing you there anyhow!

• Please consider Summer Heat in South Portland, ME!
  • We played around a lot with pathfinder and with 254's trajectory library this year...we'd be happy to share what we've learned.
  • For vision control, I recommend looking into the JeVois. While the Limelight is a more complete and self-contained solution, it's also MUCH more expensive.
Thanks! We'll be looking into these and will likely ping you with questions over the off-season.

#191   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Hardcore Dork

To ping a built-in audience about an off-season event that we're planning: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...d.php?t=165278

#192   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2018, 10:47 PM
AKA: Ian Hartwig
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
spacepenguine is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We changed from a flange hardstop on our collector to a cable hardstop, which allows a little more float and a little bigger collection target.

It's been a while, but this picture by saikiranra landed in another thread about mechanism pictures at champs. Those cables to set (and adjust) the intake height were directly inspired by this thread and extended by the students to be made adjustable. Thanks for the great discussion!

Last edited by spacepenguine : 05-15-2018 at 10:50 PM.
  #193   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2018, 07:51 AM
Hardcore Dork

Very nice! Thanks for the kind words. It never ceases to amaze us as to what little details get picked up by other teams.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: