OCCRA
Go to Post Why is it considered shameful to do the smart thing? As the saying goes, "I don't make the rules, I just live by them." - Chris Hibner [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Strategy & Gaming
AKA: Chris Peterson
None #1073 (Team F.O.R.C.E.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Petey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed
The only chance you really have to change their behavior is to institute such behaviors in your team and make such actions mandatory (we practice cheering EVERY MEETING. We start off the meeting with a cheer and we end the meeting with a cheer). Embed it into their conscious and perhaps they will take it more seriously and will be more alive.
Quoted for truth.

I was head cheerer for Team 1073 (for those of you who went to BAE--I brought the drums. I'm terribly sorry.)

Basically, you need one loud person, who would be considered obnoxious if they weren't well liked, who is not afraid to risk making a fool of themselves by starting ridiculous cheers at every second during the matches. Start cheering alliances with other teams. Start a wave.

Don't worry. Once you've primed them, it's all about the head cheerer (not said to be a masturbatory or immodest, but that's what I've noticed from my team, TJ squared, and others) and their willingness and ability to drag the rest of the team, kicking and screaming if necessary, into a spirited state.

--Petey

Bio:
Team 1073 alumnus, now Admissions Officer at MIT.

Thanks to all those who have helped me through FIRST over the years.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 11:53 PM
AKA: Rushan
FRC #1346 (Trobotics)
Team Role: Communications

Rookie Year: 2005
Firestorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Firestorm

Assign someone particularily loud and spirited to be the "cheerleader." They should lead the team in their cheers and chants. Even something simple like yelling out your team number or colour repetedly can be helpful. The "cheerleader" does not have to be female, ours is male. It's not like they're going to be in a mini-skirt and pom-poms, although we're thinking of getting pom-poms for our team for the GTA regional

Pacific Northwest 2006 - Johnson and Johnson Sportsmanship Award
Pacific Northwest 2005 - Xerox Creativity Award
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Everyone is a NERD
AKA: Tabbit
FRC #1266 (Devil Duckies)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
NiGhtMarE_AnGeL is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NiGhtMarE_AnGeL Send a message via MSN to NiGhtMarE_AnGeL

hahaha
well...i was one of the main "cheerleaders" for the devil duckies last year. there were 3 of us who were "designated" and we created some simple cheers that we adapeted from softball chants and real cheerleader chants lol.

i think that if you dont have your team in the crowd cheering either 1)they're dead asleep 2) have lost their vioce from cheering or 3) just dont really care.

i think almost everyone on our team cheered, no matter what their posistion on the team.
I know one thing we did last year was make signs for our rookie teams who went with us on trips, we all mobbed together and cheered on each others teams.
We also brought a whiteboard to write our alliances team numbers on and hold up for more chants haha

but i LOVE cheering and being on pr...
and i was cheerleader so i wore a skirt..and had pom poms...BUT being a devil duckie..it was a red plaid skirt, fishnets(tights and armwarmers), boots our team shirt, red and black pom poms and the ocasional red hairspray and red and black makup! hah

if you have the older students in it..they will follow! (like, "if you build it they will come" haha)
Button Withdrawals -when one becomes so submersed in the art of making regional buttons, they get depressed when the button maker is taken away to end the day

2005: Las Vegas-Engineering Inspiration Award
2005: Championships

2006: Los Angeles-Engineering Inspiration Award
2006: Los Angeles-Woodie Flowers Award-Mr.Acker
2006: Championships

2007: San Diego-Chairman's Award
2007: Championships-Team Spirit

2008: San Diego & Las vegas
2008: Championships-Team Spirit

2009: San Diego Regional & Las Vegas
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 07:03 PM
no team
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2003
hansTP2S has a spectacular aura abouthansTP2S has a spectacular aura abouthansTP2S has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiGhtMarE_AnGeL
hahaha
well...i was one of the main "cheerleaders" for the devil duckies last year.
So let me get this straight: Your username is Nightmare angel, and you're a cheerleader? Somehow, this isn't suprising.

Last edited by hansTP2S : 03-07-2006 at 10:40 AM.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=hansTP2S][quote=NiGhtMarE_AnGeL]hahaha
Quote:

So let me get this staright: You'r username is Nightmare angel, and you're a cheerleader? Somehow, this isn't suprising.
How the heck did you get your rep back up? You were doing so well and now look. You have to make up lost time.
You're not even in the bottom 10 anymore.

(oops! I stand corrected. You're ninth lowest. Get busy!You have a reputation to live down to)

Last edited by Koko Ed : 03-06-2006 at 07:15 PM.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 07:18 PM
I am The Goober!!!
AKA: Steve
FRC #1501 (Team Thrust)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Goober!!! is a jewel in the roughGoober!!! is a jewel in the roughGoober!!! is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Goober!!! Send a message via Yahoo to Goober!!!
Talking Re: Team Spirit

This might be a crazy way of getting your team more spirity is CAFFEINE!!! get some high caffeinated energy drinks and BOOM on a caffeine high (I know its crazy but it works!!!)

I am the Goober!!!

Check out the "Goofy Goober Rock" song!!!
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
In Search of "Bang Head Here" Sign
AKA: Ira Goldberg
FRC #3632 (D-Tecs); FRC #1712 (Dawgma)

IraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to IraJason Send a message via MSN to IraJason

[quote=hansTP2S][quote=NiGhtMarE_AnGeL]hahaha
Quote:

So let me get this staright: You'r username is Nightmare angel, and you're a cheerleader? Somehow, this isn't suprising.
For those who are offended by the above post, I suggest that you don't take it seriously. Despite what this user thinks, most people in FIRST don't think this way if you don't know already, with many believing that gracious professionalism is one of FIRST's most important aspects. Don't get down by this comment, what you are doing in terms of spirit is the right thing, and pretty much everyone here will agree with me on that.

Anyway, back on topic... Even if your team isn't competing, going out and just cheering is great! Me and another member of my team were the only ones from our team at the NJ regional, and we just decided to go up as close as we could to the field and cheer along with everyone else. There's nothing wrong with joining another team in a bunch of random cheers...

2007 Galileo #6 seed, 5th Alliance Captain, Semi-finalist
2007 Philly Regional #4 Seed, Philly Regional GM Industrial Design Award Winner
2006 Philly Regional Highest Rookie Seed,Philly Regional Rookie All Star

Last edited by IraJason : 03-06-2006 at 07:27 PM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Its NOT a Camera
AKA: College Advisor
FRC #0293 (SPIKE)

Rookie Year: 2001
Spikey is just really niceSpikey is just really niceSpikey is just really niceSpikey is just really nice

I have always had the complaint that my team has lacked spirit, and the lack of cheering at regionals drove me crazy. However that has changed over the past year.

I think what helped our team was new members, our team was always very small, 15 dedicated people which left little room for a cheering section. Now we have over 30 people plus parents so that has helped. Also the robot has improved and we have a better marketing strategy which has helped inspire spirit. The SPIKE cheer really began at last years Philly Regional, and has carried on this year, its a rallying call and highly addictive.

Nothing like screaming SPIKE! SPIKE! SPIKE! as we score balls
Uncrowned Champions of the 2005 Philadelphia Regional
SPIKE X NJ Xerox Creativity Award. Chesapeake Regional CHAMPIONS, and Motorola Quality Award
2006 Semi-Finalist at NJ Regional & Semi-Finalist at Chesapeake Regional, winners of the 2006 Xerox Creativity Award, and Judges Award
"Looks like SPIKE is doing its Batman thing again, that team looked like it was going to score, but SPIKE was not going to allow that to happen" -Play by play call at the Chesapeake Regional
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 08:53 PM
MORT//Team11
AKA: PJ
FRC #0011 (MORT)
Team Role: Webmaster

CatchRothy22 is infamous around these partsCatchRothy22 is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to CatchRothy22

M-O-R-T MORT MORT MORT!

2006 Palmetto Regional Champions
2006 Palmetto Imagery Award
2005 New Jersey Regional Chairman Award Winners
2004 Palmetto Regional Champions

Last edited by Katie Reynolds : 04-01-2006 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Let's not joke about abuse
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Serial Volunteer
FRC #0191

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchRothy22
M-O-R-T MORT MORT MORT!
Ooo! Do you guys have a baseball bat labeled motivation support?
I've always wanted one of those!

Last edited by Katie Reynolds : 04-01-2006 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Edited CatchRothy22's quote
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2006, 12:42 AM
3 Fs..... Fun Friends FIRST!!
AKA: Imad
FRC #0612
Team Role: College Student

RoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant future

we are pretty small team; consist only 20-25 students. Most of the time half of our team is invovled with scouting adn half in pit, so when it comes to mathces, we all are hyper enough to cheer for our team. Downside is that we don't get to reserve chairs in stands so most of the time we are in the back, but still we cheer for out team. Its just somethign our team is born with, no one has to push anything or as someone said before 'beat with a baseball bat'.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2006, 10:47 AM
no team

hansTP2S has a spectacular aura abouthansTP2S has a spectacular aura abouthansTP2S has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansTP2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiGhtMarE_AnGeL
hahaha
How the heck did you get your rep back up? You were doing so well and now look. You have to make up lost time.
You're not even in the bottom 10 anymore.

(oops! I stand corrected. You're ninth lowest. Get busy!You have a reputation to live down to)
Yeah, I really should work on getting that down.
As for how I got it up, I made fun of somebody's spelling in one of those "You know you've been working to hard..." threads by quoting him and saying "you forget how to spell." Some folks had a heart guffaw at this and decided to give me positive rep. I really don't know why. Apparently Amanda Morrison and Karthik can swing me out of a negative 350 or whatever deficit. Also, I saw a picture of some robot that didn't look like it had a way to get balls, so I asked them about it. Someone gave me positive rep for that.

Last edited by hansTP2S : 03-07-2006 at 11:41 AM.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Serial Volunteer
FRC #0191

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansTP2S
Yeah, I really should work on getting that down.
As for how I got it up, I made fun of somebody's spelling in one of those "You know you've been working to hard..." threads by quoting him and saying "you forget how to spell." Some folks had a heart guffaw at this and decided to give me positive rep. I really don't know why. Apparently Amanda Morrison and Karthik can swing me out of a negative 350 or whatever deficit. Also, I saw a picture of some robot that didn't look like it had a way to get balls, so I asked them about it. Someone gave me positive rep for that.
So there's hope for you after all.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2006, 09:01 PM
no team

Quote:
So there's hope for you after all.
Unfortunately, yes.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Always a MidKnight Inventor.
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

my team has been having the same problem.

infact, i was telling everyone to have spirit, and i was told to shut up.

i asked them, aren't you proud?

"yeah, but i'm not gonna cheer"

me- THEN YOU'RE NOT PROUD ENOUGH!!! I WANNA HEAR YOU SCREAM!

(NJ regionals had a lot of spirit, and our team, 1923, was VERY small. about 10 kids.)

also, a nice tip:

if a team near you is cheering for a team you don't necessarily love, don't be un-GP and say "(team they are cheering for) SUCKS!!!!"

this happened to me during the semi-final matches.

i was cheering for a certain team, and the team in front of us was like THEY SUCK!!! AND SO DO YOU!!!!

honestly, how rude. be a little more GP next time, eh?

what time is it?

IT'S KNIGHT TIME!!!!!

by the way, i like the baseball bat for motivation support method.

i may just get one for the team. =]

Last edited by Libbeh1923 : 03-07-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: