OCCRA
Go to Post I mean who does want to write their code like this... [CODE] CANHAZ.VICTOR; GIMME.VICTOR; VROOMVROOM.VICTOR(1); KTHNXBAI; [CODE] - JohnFogarty [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 02:24 PM
not on CD enough...
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
OneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of light
Best robots at Nationals

I'm sitting at home somewhat bummed about the fact that I was a booth member, meaning I only saw about 2/3 of the teams in Galileo. Franky, I was hoping to see more robots compete, but as I couldn't why not ask the people on CD about your favorites in your respective divisions?

In Galileo...

980 astounded me. In my opinion they had the best robot in our division. In autonomous they would grab the 2x, fold it back, and then trip whatever 10 pt ball they wanted to fall. Their arm was an marvel of engineering, its swivel captabilities were unbelievable.

469 could win any match by themselves. Most of you probably watched the finals, and saw how they could dominate by themselves. The matches between 93 and 496, as well as 177 and 496 were intense. Plenty of pushing matches, flipped robots, and tangling. for the record, 177 and 93 both also had superior bots.

358, in my opinion, was the best capper. They could effortlessly cap and uncap any goal, it was amusing in the final match when they and 469 ran around the field capping and uncapping eachother's goals. 358 also had one of the strongest and fastest drivetrains, I never saw anyone push them.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Go Bears!
FRC #1110 (Binary Bulldogs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joshua May
Re: Best robots at Nationals

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAngryDaisy
I'm sitting at home somewhat bummed about the fact that I was a booth member, meaning I only saw about 2/3 of the teams in Galileo. Franky, I was hoping to see more robots compete, but as I couldn't why not ask the people on CD about your favorites in your respective divisions?

In Galileo...

980 astounded me. In my opinion they had the best robot in our division. In autonomous they would grab the 2x, fold it back, and then trip whatever 10 pt ball they wanted to fall. Their arm was an marvel of engineering, its swivel captabilities were unbelievable.

469 could win any match by themselves. Most of you probably watched the finals, and saw how they could dominate by themselves. The matches between 93 and 496, as well as 177 and 496 were intense. Plenty of pushing matches, flipped robots, and tangling. for the record, 177 and 93 both also had superior bots.

358, in my opinion, was the best capper. They could effortlessly cap and uncap any goal, it was amusing in the final match when they and 469 ran around the field capping and uncapping eachother's goals. 358 also had one of the strongest and fastest drivetrains, I never saw anyone push them.
I have to agree with that about 980, I wasn't at nationals, but 980 did compete at the SoCal Regional I attended, and I was even lucky enough to be allied with them during one match. They do have quite the robot, and their autonomous is amazingly effective.

2005 Las Vegas Regional Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Las Vegas Regional #8 Seeded Alliance with 988 and 1505
2006 Southern California Regional #15 seed
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Galactic Doughnut!!
#0418 (Purple Haze)
Team Role: Programmer

Scooter will become famous soon enoughScooter will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Scooter

I was really impressed with team 67 (I think thats the number)...they had a nice, low profile chassis with an awesome arm. Great bot!

-Bill
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 03:24 PM
On to my 17th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSJosh
I have to agree with that about 980, I wasn't at nationals, but 980 did compete at the SoCal Regional I attended, and I was even lucky enough to be allied with them during one match. They do have quite the robot, and their autonomous is amazingly effective.
They built a second identical robot and spent all the time between ship and Phoenix programming, and all the time between Phoenix and LA practice driving. Very smart. Way to go 980!
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 03:56 PM
#0027 (RUSH)
Team Role: Student

ah27 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAngryDaisy
Yeah, i liked them too, which made it even more thrilling to beat them in the first round of quater finals, (nice job alliance 7).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:30 PM
AKA: Dan Quiggle
FRC #0179 (Children of the Swamp)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Swampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall ever being shocked by a robot. But 190 definitely me. We were waiting for our match to start and I saw a match start with them without prior knoledge of what they did. As I saw them go on the ramp from the front in Auto, I thought to my self, "whoops". But then it got past the stationary goal "after bumping into the pvc and correcting itself" and turned, then I saw the hook pop out (mouth started opening). Then it pivoted facing perpedicular to the bar centered on the platform and latched the hook and hoisted itself up (mouth fully open). Then it opened it's wings and covered the bar completely on both sides as to forbid another hanger. All this in less then 15 seconds. I was SHOCKED! And later to hear it had four different systems guiding it on it's way. These guys have my personal WOW award. And what was even more shocking was that we got allied with them in the finals. I still can't figure out how we didn't go all the way. But there were some incredible teams and bots everywhere you looked.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Holder of the Missile Keys
FRC #0097 (RoboRuminants)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
LauraN is a splendid one to beholdLauraN is a splendid one to beholdLauraN is a splendid one to beholdLauraN is a splendid one to beholdLauraN is a splendid one to beholdLauraN is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to LauraN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdude
190 definitely me. We were waiting for our match to start and I saw a match start with them without prior knoledge of what they did. As I saw them go on the ramp from the front in Auto, I thought to my self, "whoops". But then it got past the stationary goal "after bumping into the pvc and correcting itself" and turned, then I saw the hook pop out (mouth started opening). Then it pivoted facing perpedicular to the bar centered on the platform and latched the hook and hoisted itself up (mouth fully open). Then it opened it's wings and covered the bar completely on both sides as to forbid another hanger. All this in less then 15 seconds. I was SHOCKED!
Wow! So question: was this their only auto mode?

Not that they need another, it's obviously impressive, and I guess their strategy was to get to the bar first to prevent anyone from hanging. But then their drivers never did anything? Just curious.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:55 PM

Swampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond repute

No the WOW doesn't stop there! They could operate the bar cover flaps. These things could rotate around the axis of the bar, keeping the cover perpendicular to an opponents hook. And they could raise and lower either side. Then they had a long arm ball gripper that they used to block the opponents stationary goal from being capped. Also if needed they could remove the opponents capped ball and bring it over to their goal and cap it. ALL WHILE HANGING!! It was amazing....

While we were at the airport we met one of there mentors. He told me they had planned for it to grab the 2x ball in the middle platform on the way up and cap the opponents goal so they couldn't get any points during autonomous. I hope they continue to work on it after Nats and make that work also. That robot should go into a hall of fame or something.

Last edited by Swampdude : 04-18-2004 at 06:59 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Programming and Electrical Mentor
AKA: Allen Gregory
FRC #2587 (Afrobots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
CyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really niceCyberWolf_22 is just really nice

In Galileo 980 was definitely one of the best robots also does any one know the match numbers and division that team 190 was in I would love to see it do all those things.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:58 PM
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

i loved 71's machine. i know it seems like an obvious choice but there was one thing that got me more than anything. the sides it used to push balls in were flat on both sides of their robot up to about 18". This meant that they couldn't possibly (as far as i know) go into the goal corral. very effective designing by the team from hammond. congratulations guys.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 07:03 PM
'Luzer'
AKA: Zan
no team
Team Role: Alumni

ahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to ahecht Send a message via AIM to ahecht Send a message via Yahoo to ahecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraN
Wow! So question: was this their only auto mode?

Not that they need another, it's obviously impressive, and I guess their strategy was to get to the bar first to prevent anyone from hanging. But then their drivers never did anything? Just curious.
That was pretty much our only auto mode, although we had a few variations such as going to the bar but not hanging (which we didn't in the first match of our practice rounds, since taking the robot down from the bar took too long). If everything went correctly, our driver's only job was to operate our Shields of Doom, raising or lowering them to allow our alliance partners on the bar. We originally had the ability to lower ourselves off the bar and play a ground game, but we found that we never used this, and removed the unlatching servos in Atlanta to save weight.

This was very similar to our ram, anchor, winch, and wait strategy in 2002, where our drivers only drove as fast as they could to grab two mobile goals in the first few seconds of the match, and then it was up to the operator to anchor to the carpet with file combs (back when this was legal), winch in the two goals we had snagged, and drive the minibot back to the home zone.

Scorekeeper: '05 Championship DaVinci Field/'10 WPI Regional
Co-Founder: WPI-EBOT Educational Robotics Program
Alumnus: WPI/Mass Academy Team #190
Alumnus (and founder): Oakwood Robotics Team #992

"Life is an odd numbered problem the answer isn't in the back of the book." Anonymous WPI Student

Last edited by ahecht : 04-19-2004 at 11:53 AM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 07:09 PM
AKA: Evan
FLL #1218 (CHAbots)
Team Role: Driver

edomus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edomus

469 was my personal favorite, they were able to get well over 100 points every match by themselves.

2004 Gallileo champions and #1 seed
  • Delphi "Driving tommarows technology" -philly 2004
  • 8th seed philly 2004
  • 58/58 at annapolis 2004 (like the improvement?)
  • Philadelphia Alliance Regional Winner!-2003
  • 7th seed Philly 2003
  • Rookie all star philly 2003
  • semi finalist Pitt 2003
  • picked 3rd in pitt 2003
  • Seeded 17(curie) at nats 2003
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Controls Mentor
AKA: Ken Leigh
#0811 (Cardinals)

misterfoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
I was really impressed with team 67 (I think thats the number)...they had a nice, low profile chassis with an awesome arm. Great bot!

-Bill
We played against 67 in the NEWTON finals and came in 2nd to them. Their machine was just rock solid..quick..great hanger, solid autonomous mode.

Ken Leigh
Team 811 Contols Mentor
BGHS Nashua, NH
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWolf_22
In Galileo 980 was definitely one of the best robots also does any one know the match numbers and division that team 190 was in I would love to see it do all those things.
I only know of this one:
http://www.soap.circuitrunners.com/2.../cur_qf2m1.wmv
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 09:11 PM
IGAB, ADHD, and Dislexic
AKA: Ty
FRC #0179 (SwampThing)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2001
Tytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond reputeTytus Gerrish has a reputation beyond repute

190 Was incredible, i was standing waitring for a match and i saw it climb up thinking it missed and then it moves arround the goal and hangs in auto , then it deployed shields to cover the bars and then it had a 2x arm to block caps ot move them I was Astonished. i never noticed it until then, There pit was right next to ours too
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: