OCCRA
Go to Post Invest our time in enhancing the process of conceiving, designing, testing and deploying the game - billylo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
David the Bomb
AKA: David Freitag
#0330 (Beach Bot)
Team Role: Driver

David the bomb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to David the bomb Send a message via MSN to David the bomb Send a message via Yahoo to David the bomb
Re: Best robots at Nationals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team311
330 had a nice robot it got on the bottom platform in autonomus. They kept us from hanging while they were on the bar. it seems they can move on the bar. even though i still havent figured out how they do that.
I really liked team 60's robot. It look really nice and it could cap amazingly well. Towards the end of the robot season they were able to hang alot better.
Oh, and about how our robot moves along the bar. We used a chaneled wheele that we custom machined. We had a special gear box that was run by a van dor motor.
^not sure how to spell that.

^My car
999: 1. Xerox Creativity Award, Silicon Valley Regional
2000: 1. Finalist, Silicon Valley Regional
2001: 1. Winnner, Southern California Regional 2. Xerox Creativity Award, Silicon Valley Regional
2002: 1. Winner, Southern California Regional 2. Johnson and Johnson Sportsmanship Award, Southern California Regional 3. Kleiner Perkins Caulfield and Buyers Entrepreneurship Award, Silicon Valley Regional
2003: 1. Finalist, Arizona Regional 2. General Motors Industrial Design Award, Arizona Regional 3. Regional Chairman's Award, Southern California Regional
2004: 1. Winner, Arizona Regional 2. Regional Chairman's Award, Arizona Regional 3. Finalist, Southern California Regional 4. Judges Award, Atlanta National
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Let's take it back...
AKA: That's a J. Dilla reference, BTW.
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Over in Archimedes, 33 rocked my socks off. With so many balls to the HP, who needs capping?

And I can't forget 1396, the one-day wonder.

And 494 and company--their alliance was off the heezy for sheezy.

And that one practice match with all of those robots...wait a second...those were humans! (There weren't any robots for the match, so the volunteers started feeding them balls. I joined in...and was promptly bonked on the head by a few balls.)

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

106 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 14 seasons, over 70,000 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Echo 7
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
LoganB is on a distinguished road

My list of awesome bots this year are

71 and 494 <-- Love the alliance partners hehe
33,45,60,111,237,310,900(fellow NC team and awesome D bot),945

Many others but I forgot there numbers tons of great bots this year.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Who is John Galt?
FRC #0039 (The 39th Aerosquadron)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1998
Ken Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to beholdKen Loyd is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
The Gila Monster Team (I can't remember the number) had an impressive robot in Gallileo. It would hang and then use a motor and wheels to move aroud on the bar, blocking others from hanging. While they might not have been the best they do deserve at least a comment.
Zzyzx,

The Gila monsters are Team 64 from Mesa, Arizona. In our second match we had a spectular fall from the bar to the platforms below. The fall limited some of the other functions of the robot. Thank you for your kind words.
Team #39
Highland High School
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 07:42 PM
do you..
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say who had the best robot this year.. I'm not that good. However, I stand by my favorites:

33 -- Tough break for you guys in the Archimedes elims. I just watched all your archived matches, and you guys still amaze me. You consistently knocked off the 10 point ball in autonomous and delivered a massive amount of balls to your human player. I saw you guys get around major defense, picking up many balls and delivering them just the same. The defense perhaps stalled your plans by 5-10 seconds. Your hanger also wasn't that bad at all. For something put together at the last minute, it did function better than some of the other mechanisms I've seen this year. On a down note, your method of getting on the ramp made it easier to prevent you from hanging. All around, you guys are still my favorite .

45 -- Tough break for you guys as well. You do balls just as well as 33, but in a smaller amount of space. Once you slurp the big ball, your control of it is deadly. I dunno, you guys were just really amazing.

469 -- Your drivers were top notch. They squeezed every bit of ability out of your robot. Amazing.

71 -- I'll admit right out, you guys weren't a favorite of mine. At all. I thought a 45 + 71 alliance would've done well at MWR and that a 33 + 71 would've happened at the Championship Event, because 45 would've been taken in the first round by the number one seed, but I'm finally beginning to understand that not all things happen the way you think. Your driveteam knows what they are doing.

Among the best, in my mind: 33, 45, 571, 60, 254. I'll leave the other teams for other posters to make known. A personal top 5 is good enough for me.

PS: Can we see a 60 + 45 vs. 33 + 71 at this year's IRI? It could be in the qualification or elimination rounds, I don't care. I just want to finally know what would have happened.

Division By Zero (229) Alumni, 2003-2007
RAGE (173) Alumni, 1999-2003
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:15 PM

shawny963 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shawny963

Thats right, team 930, getting a hang in on 190, under their flaps in match 114. Too bad the camera man doesnt focus on it at all. I would have like to have delphi try to hang on us, along with a lot of other curie teams but we didnt make it to the finals this time. Oh well, there is always iri.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:50 PM
AKA: Shane
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
BionicAlumni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BionicAlumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel J.
PS: Can we see a 60 + 45 vs. 33 + 71 at this year's IRI? It could be in the qualification or elimination rounds, I don't care. I just want to finally know what would have happened.
Is 60 making the IRI trip?
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:52 PM

Avarik is an unknown quantity at this point

I too must say that team 190 had one amazing robot! I was in awe when i walked up to go to a match, and saw them going to hang. Of course I thought "what else is new" until I looked at the timer on the side which read 113, where I began drooling...
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:57 PM
dpl
AKA: M/C Cord
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicAlumni
Is 60 making the IRI trip?
Eh... I don't know. Right now it's not looking like it'll happen, but I really would love for us to make a trip out there.

I'd also like to commend 980 and 330 for their awesome designs! They are just absolutely amazing! It's great being able to work with them!

Close your eyes, look up at the sky, and keep dancing barefoot against the wind...
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:08 PM
FRC #0004 (Team 4 ELEMENT)

Ali Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to behold

60/254- I loved the bot. It was perfectly put together. I loved the tranny even though we have the same exact one. One of you should have won.

190- Beutiful auton. Probably the best i have ever seen. Good defense.

330-Very good hanger. The best bar defender I've seen. Loved getting to finals with you guys in L.A

980-Very nice auton. best capper I've seen. Good opponent in L.A in the finals.

Some of you may have seen 69 in some competetion. Nice capper and hanger.

Student: Team 22
Mentor: Team 4

#41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Amateur Geek
AKA: Danny G
#0435 (Robodogs)
Team Role: Animator

Terminator6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Terminator6

i think that some of the best bots werent the memorable ones personally...237 pops into mind with that sliding device (which came this | | close to knocking us off in the semifinals) was uber-awesome....some of the other teams tried that but none had such an effective device, which blocked bots that even tried to hang on them (eg 494 which i do not dispute good call by them refs)...

maybe im biased but i loved the fun robots...not the high scorers....voltage (which did good dont get me wrong) was fun to watch with that swingy thing they had to uncap opponents goals....he he he it was enjoyable to know that somebody had rememberd the defensive robots.....

the usuals all still apply tho....glad we didnt have to play 33 cuz wow they were awesome and i was surprised at their loss.....plus 330 was fun to watch...45 was such an awesome robot and was fun to play with and against....im just a fun loving guy i guess cuz it wasnt the effective ones that did it for me but the ones that put on a good show
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 11:12 PM
The Resident Gamer -
AKA: Pat or Harry... if you ask its a long story...
FRC #0078 (AIR Strike)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2004
Heretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond reputeHeretic121 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Heretic121

from arch only (because i didnt get to see many others xcept on einstien)

33, 45, 60, 71, 237 (if they make the shimming faster they would be unstopable), a few others... mind hurts right now, not a good time to think lol .... i hate first day back at school
2007 - 2009 - Team 121 Mentor / Strategery Master
2010 - 2013 - Team 78 Mentor / Strategy / Scouting Lead
2014 - Team 78 coach
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")

Rookie Year: 1996
Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORT~11
Nothing at all against 47, cause i loved their robot, but i thought there were much better hangers. For example team number 190...hanging in auto, i believe they hung every match, and they could do other things while hanging, i feel they were the best hanger. Like I said nothing against CD, just i feel 190 was definetly better. I'd also like to give a shoutout to 1218, cause those guys stepped it up. In chesapeake they could hardly get up a step and at nationals finishing FIRST (lol) in their division and making it to the NATIONAL FINALS is an amazing feat...GOOD JOB GUYS!!!
Team 190 hung in almost every match, but they fell over in a match against us, match 39. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I think they may have gone off the edge of the platform. They hung in every other match that I saw them play, and it was quite impressive to get that level of consistancy.

The views I express here are mine, and mine alone, not those of my team, FIRST, or my previous teams.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Robot-A-Holic
FRC #0980 (The ThunderBots)
Team Role: Coach

DougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAngryDaisy
I'm sitting at home somewhat bummed about the fact that I was a booth member, meaning I only saw about 2/3 of the teams in Galileo. Franky, I was hoping to see more robots compete, but as I couldn't why not ask the people on CD about your favorites in your respective divisions?

In Galileo...

980 astounded me. In my opinion they had the best robot in our division. In autonomous they would grab the 2x, fold it back, and then trip whatever 10 pt ball they wanted to fall. Their arm was an marvel of engineering, its swivel captabilities were unbelievable.
Thanks for the kind words about our team. In autonomous in S. California, we grabbed the yellow ball and used it to hit the 10 pt ball. Our percentage for getting the yellow ball was 7/8 but 1/3 for hitting the 10 pt ball.

At the championship, we added a small lexan arm to knock off the 10 pt. At some point in the competition, we discovered that we had been adjusting the variable for our left side autonomous when trying to correct our right side. We finally got that bug out, but unfortunately still didn't have it fined tuned quite enough. We released the balls for both teams in our first Galileo quarter finals, filling Team 177's basket for them. We then lost that match 150 to 140 (with both stationary goals capped). In our next match, we got it right, but, althought we did cap the goal, 177 played the best defensive game that we had run into and prevented us from hanging.

Still last year, we weren't even picked for the elimination rounds, so being second seed in Galileo was a big step up for us. Thank you to all our partners for the great matches. We had the 3 highest scores in Galileo: 190 pts with Team 141, 195 pts with Team 93 and 210 pts with Team 782 and a total qualifying score of 950 (second only to Team 45's total qualifying score of 955).

It was very hard for us to pick partners from so many great teams. Hope to pair with you all again in the future.
Championship Event: Galileo 2nd seed,
IRI: Competition Winner, Cal Games: Competition Winner
2005: Arizona: 1st seed
Silicon Valley: Regional Champion (Thanks Teams 254 and 22)
S. California: Regional Runners Up (Thanks Teams 22 and 968)

Last edited by DougHogg : 04-21-2004 at 12:26 AM.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 12:38 AM
I've done it younger & better.
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the HERD)

Rookie Year: 1996
ColleenShaver is a splendid one to beholdColleenShaver is a splendid one to beholdColleenShaver is a splendid one to beholdColleenShaver is a splendid one to beholdColleenShaver is a splendid one to beholdColleenShaver is a splendid one to beholdColleenShaver is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the kind words! I think we hung all but two times at the Champs. And actually, our robot is only 24" wide, so it is designed to fit between the goal and edge of the platform and lots of wheels in case it does hang over the edge. We actually tipped because we hit the goal and the robot continued it's autonomous operations and took a turn for the worst down the stairs. We were looking forward to attempting to block 233 (a great hanger!) but didn't get the chance. Consistency didn't come easy, but at least it did eventually!

As for great bots, I've have to say..

126- Man, they were outscoring people with small balls even with one robot dedicated to defend them! Also, they were one of few teams who had a skilled HP to match the ball-handling abilities of their robot. It was a deadly combination.

980- Awesome in AZ, awesome at the Championship. 190 is hoping we can partner with you if you come to Battlecry!

330- I love the challenge of someone with a similar strategy. Great robot!

And many more, but those are definitely 3 of my favorites from this year.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: