OCCRA
Go to Post I heard that the only gift UFH wants on its birthday is an inbox full of nominations. :D - Brandon Martus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
O-H
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute
Frank Merrick Email - "A Note to Ohio and West Virginia Teams"

West Virginia, Ohio, and Western PA (WOW) teams - Travis Hoffman on lil ol' Team 48 here. As an individual team mentor of a WOW FRC team, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this. Who loves it? Who hates it? Who do you think *truly* benefits if such a move went through? Does WOW even matter? Would we Ohio and WV teams be content renaming ourselves to simply WO(e)?

Looks like there will be an opportunity for Western PA teams to let MAR (or whatever they're calling themselves now) people know exactly what you think if you're attending the Greater Pittsburgh Regional, as well. I encourage you all to attend and be *brutally* honest at that meeting.
Wonder if they'll let Ohio and West Virginia teams crash the party?

Hello Teams!

Frank Merrick, Director of FIRST Robotics Competition here.

I wanted to make you aware that we just sent the note below to FRC teams in Pennsylvania that are not currently part of the FIRST Mid-Atlantic (FMA) District.

As you can see, we are considering integrating Western Pennsylvania teams into the FMA District. This could affect you, as the Greater Pittsburgh Regional would no longer be available for you to attend. If this integration occurs, and you normally attend the Greater Pittsburgh Regional, we will need to find accommodations for you at other Regional events.

As the note says, the decision has not yet been made, but we will keep you informed.

Thanks, and I hope you have a great season!

Frank

Hi Western Pennsylvania Teams.

Frank Merrick from FIRST Robotics Competition here.

This competition season almost half of the total FRC teams in the world are playing in states/regions operating in the District model. Many teams tell us they love it.

Mid-Atlantic Robotics (MAR), now known as FIRST Mid-Atlantic (FMA), has been playing using the District model since 2012. FMA currently includes the states of New Jersey and Delaware and the eastern half of Pennsylvania. FIRST and FIRST Mid-Atlantic have recently discussed a potential realignment in which Western PA teams would become part of the FIRST Mid-Atlantic District. FIRST and FMA believe that combining all PA teams into one area will enable additional funding opportunities, including potential state funding to grow FIRST in the entire state. Currently, the split in Pennsylvania limits potential financial opportunities from the state.

FIRST HQ and FIRST Mid-Atlantic want to get your feedback and address any questions and concerns your team may have. We are planning on holding an informational meeting at the Pittsburgh Regional with representatives of FIRST & FIRST Mid-Atlantic available to answer questions.

We know there are many questions, so we will try to answer a few up front.

There is no guarantee that western PA will become part of FIRST Mid-Atlantic, nor is there a timetable for the realignment. FIRST HQ, FIRST Mid-Atlantic, & Western PA are simply studying the effects of the move and gathering public opinion on the change.

If this transition occurs, while FIRST Mid-Atlantic volunteers may travel to western PA to help with District events, the long-term goal is to develop a local volunteer base to cover the events.

Also, if this transition occurs, there would likely be two new district events in western PA in addition to the existing FIRST Mid-Atlantic events. The new potential FIRST Mid-Atlantic events will count towards district points for teams in the region and will give an opportunity for teams to ‘travel’ both to and from western PA.

We hope you join us in conversation as together we talk about expanding FIRST in your region!

Frank

Travis Hoffman, Enginerd, FRC Team 48 Delphi E.L.I.T.E.
Encouraging Learning in Technology and Engineering - www.delphielite.com
2017 Miami Valley Regional Champions w/ 2451 & 4085
2017 Smoky Mountains Regional Champions w/ 744 & 3140
NEOFRA - Northeast Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance - www.neofra.com
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frank Merrick Email - "A Note to Ohio and West Virginia Teams"

Hang in there California and Minnesota.
Clarke's Laws
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Hang in there California and Minnesota.
I'd be happy to add the CA Teams to CHS if they don't mind traveling!

What does the team population in Central PA look like these days? Is there a population?

Also, would you take 1629 into the newly expanded MAR district? While I love competing with them every year I feel bad for how much they have to travel in our district. Food for thought, they're closer to Cleveland than Richmond...

Last edited by notmattlythgoe : 02-23-2018 at 12:13 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:11 PM
R I P Georgia Dome
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)

Rookie Year: 2006
JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute

If we can get SC to join PCH or NC I'd be very happy for them.

I still want the tri-state fiesta, but maybe that's just me.
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

As an outside perspective, if I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like an awesome chance for WePA teams to get into districts and would probably greatly benefit the region.

That said, with limited options for the other WOW teams, I think FIRST should be working to move you all to the district model so inter-district play can occur and not disrupt the competitions people have been attending for years.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:18 PM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
no team (FullMetal Falcons)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmattlythgoe View Post

What does the team population in Central PA look like these days? Is there a population?

Also, would you take 1629 into the newly expanded MAR district? While I love competing with them every year I feel bad for how much they have to travel in our district. Food for thought, they're closer to Cleveland than Richmond...
Take a look at the map below, taken from this website. Looks like central PA has something like 5 teams maximum. Makes things difficult, I'd think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snip.PNG
Views:	638
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	23073  

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmattlythgoe View Post
It's probably cheaper to travel across the country for districts than to play in regionals held within the same city, so it would make sense.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:20 PM
It's pronounced Basl with a soft s
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)
Team Role: College Student

Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of team density, joining East PA and West PA doesn't really make sense. But maybe the financial incentives (that Frank mentioned) make a bigger difference.

The simpler analysis is that it would be good for West PA. Districts are great! MAR CMP is barely farther than one of the regionals we decided to attend.

If it happens, it would suck for the rest of WOW.
Team 3504 | 2018-Present | Grad Student
“Be excellent in everything you do and the results will just happen.”
-Paul Copioli
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:24 PM
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 2008
EricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker 42 View Post
Take a look at the map below, taken from this website. Looks like central PA has something like 5 teams maximum. Makes things difficult, I'd think.

I just drew a line to make it clearer which teams are from FMA. Seems like 5 non Pittsburgh teams and ~15 Pittsburgh teams.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:25 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
O-H
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
As an outside perspective, if I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like an awesome chance for WePA teams to get into districts and would probably greatly benefit the region.

That said, with limited options for the other WOW teams, I think FIRST should be working to move you all to the district model so inter-district play can occur and not disrupt the competitions people have been attending for years.
Some would say that Western PA TEAMS (perhaps not Western PA FIRST-related OFFICIALS, who might have other intentions....) were already working (admittedly slowly, but still working) toward a WOW district that would let them compete in the region among friendly teams they've been associating with for years.

Is MAR the best district scenario for Western PA teams? Ye get cheaper events sooner and might be able to qualify locally, but you willing to pay for fees and travel costs to the east coast to attend the MAR Championship to punch your ticket to the Detroit Championsplit?

If you expect to hedge your bets with the still very local Buckeye and Miami Valley regionals, I don't think ye all will be getting in. If you go MAR, you might as well build a Trumpian wall at the Ohio-PA line. Ohio and WV teams newly shut out of Greater Pittsburgh will pack those events to the rafters before you get a chance to register. In fact, any district teams that are used to traipsing over to these regionals (being centrally located, we've had all comers as a prime poaching area, attracting district teams from IN, MI, NE, and MAR) will probably find themselves shut out completely.

Districts are great...except for when they aren't. Make sure YOUR best interests are being served, and not those of MAR officials looking to raise more money that may benefit people/regions who aren't you, more than you. ASK QUESTIONS. GET ANSWERS. Don't go along for the ride and accept what they have to say at face value.

If a unified Pennsylvania was truly in Western PA's best interests - if MAR truly had your best interests first and foremost in their minds - then how come Western PA wasn't assimilated into MAR when it was first formed? I'd love to know the TRUE, behind the scenes history there.

Travis Hoffman, Enginerd, FRC Team 48 Delphi E.L.I.T.E.
Encouraging Learning in Technology and Engineering - www.delphielite.com
2017 Miami Valley Regional Champions w/ 2451 & 4085
2017 Smoky Mountains Regional Champions w/ 744 & 3140
NEOFRA - Northeast Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance - www.neofra.com

Last edited by Travis Hoffman : 02-23-2018 at 12:33 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:28 PM
rookies rock part 2
AKA: Brian Smist
FRC #6870 (BEAM Robotics)

briansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond repute

Decidedly good for obtaining state-wide funding.

Questionable for western PA team experience.

Decidedly bad for teams that regularly attend the Pittsburgh Regional (Northeast Ohio, Western New York, West Virginia).

Food for thought: Only 23/51 teams registered for 2018 Pittsburgh Regional are from Pennsylvania.

Development Engineer at PostProcess Technologies
University at Buffalo Mechanical Engineering Class of 2016
2018-20XX | Mentor | 6870 | Beam Robotics
2014-20XX | Mentor | 4930 | Electric Mayhem
2013-2013 | Mentor | 0229 | Division by Zero
2009-2012 | Student | 1507 | Warlocks
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:31 PM
AKA: Antonio Papa
FRC #5895

Rookie Year: 2011
AGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond reputeAGPapa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
Also, if this transition occurs, there would likely be two new district events in western PA in addition to the existing FIRST Mid-Atlantic events
Seems likely that all of the West PA teams will go to these two new district events and the rest of MAR will stay at the existing events, with zero crossover.

MAR is nicely compact right now, I'd guess that ~95% of teams can attend two district events without needing a hotel. It'll be interesting adding the rest of Pennsylvania to the mix.

Districts are definitely the right move and will be good for western Pennsylvania. I think it might be better if there was a westPA-Ohio-West Virginia district, but we'll see what happens.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:53 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker 42 View Post
Reminds me of what Michigan looked like before it went district. I can't find a map of MI teams from 2009 - maybe someone else can help me out here. Teams in the northern lower peninsula and the UP had to travel a significant distance to get to one event, let alone the two they were required to attend. For the western UP teams, even with more events in the UP now, it would still make a lot of sense if they were incorporated into a Wisconsin district due to geography, but I imagine that won't happen due to funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPapa View Post
Seems likely that all of the West PA teams will go to these two new district events and the rest of MAR will stay at the existing events, with zero crossover.
I wouldn't count on that...it's nice to not see the same teams at every event every year. I don't think there will be a significant amount of crossover, but I could see 3-4 teams making the trip to the opposite side of PA each event.
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): Ramp Riot '18, Brunswick Eruption '18, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16 '18, MAR Hatboro-Horsham B '18, Brunswick Eruption '16 '17, Ramp Riot '15 '16 '17, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17 '18, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM
FRC #0025
Team Role: Coach

nuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond repute

I believe districts would work if we just made the
Points universal across all competitions. It would open up travel and force districts to put on a good show vs owning a Monopoly.
00,03,06,07,08,10,12 NJ / MAR winner
11 VCU winner
06,10 Las Vegas winner
12,17,18 MAR Mt Olive
17,18 MAR Montgomery
18 hatboro
red is for team 348
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetsyl View Post
I believe districts would work if we just made the
Points universal across all competitions. It would open up travel and force districts to put on a good show vs owning a Monopoly.
soooo.... regionals? Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference here? I was under the impression that one benefit of districts is reduced travel distance.

My posts constitute my opinions, and mine alone, and are not representative of the views held by my team.
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, fmr. Programming Lead, 2017&2018 Dean's List Finalist
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: