OCCRA
Go to Post Looks great! Love that Indiana engineering!! - Mr.D [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute
Grasshopper End Mill Giveaway

Free end mills! Sort of, you still have to pay for shipping...

My employer, and a sponsor of the Grasshoppers, goes through end-mills like they're nothing. We 'dust' graphite alignment pads on our product (inkjet print heads) to ▒7Ám, and when the mills start to deflect an extra 2-3Ám we have to ditch them. This results in throwing away hundreds of end mills every year that are in near-perfect condition, but are 'worn out' for print-head purposes. Having examined them under a microscope myself it's nearly impossible to tell that they've been used at all.

So, that's where the giveaway comes in. I have rescued a lot of these from the trash, and would like to send them out to teams who want some nice, free, end mills. I've used them to mill titanium and SS with great success. They can be used to mill aluminum, and if you keep the chips clear and the aluminum cool they cut hilariously fast with a wonderful surface finish. Plastics are a little more challenging because of the tight helix angle, but can be milled nicely.

1/4in OD, 3/4in flute length, 5-flute (variable pitch, I think), 2.5in long, 1/4in shank, TiAlN coated.

Product Page.

I am happy to ship these to any one, or any team, interested in getting them to use with their own machines. Let's limit it to 5x per user for now, but I might change that depending on interest. Send me a PM and I'll send you my PayPal address asking for $7.25 (USPS flat-rate padded envelope) and for you to put the shipping address in the paypal text field. Send $7.25 as a gift or $7.76 if not a gift. This will help me send the giveaway to those who've paid!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.

Last edited by JamesCH95 : 06-15-2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Changed contact procedure.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 04:21 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grasshopper End Mill Giveaway

PM sent!

There's lots of nice stuff like this that gets tossed in industry every day, but is still perfectly good for a robotics team to use. Good to see it going somewhere useful!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a lot of responses so far, awesome!

I'll ship verything USPS flat rate padded envelope, $7.25, and will take PayPal for shipping costs.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.

Last edited by JamesCH95 : 06-15-2018 at 05:25 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 07:23 PM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post

I've got a lot of responses so far, awesome!

I'll ship verything USPS flat rate padded envelope, $7.25, and will take PayPal for shipping costs.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Hardcore Dork

I ordered 45x padded USPS envelopes so I won't clean out the post office.

PayPal screamed at me to reset my password due to 'unusual account activity.'

I'm glad to get such a strong response!

I have a little more than 500 of the JHH2500Vs (the one pictured) and about 30 requests so far. I'll let it run for a few more days and see if I can give away more than 5x per request. Shipping won't change (yay flat rate).

I also have 16x of these Micro 100 mills for those metric-minded people, and 6x Raptor R61606Cs (dimensions determined by PN). If you'd like any of these let me know, I'll add one of them to a set of the JHH2500Vs, first-come first-served.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2018, 12:08 PM
AKA: George Chisholm
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
George C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to behold

Will you ship to Canada?

George Chisholm
2003-2015 Founding Mentor FRC 1334 The Red Devils
2011 Woodie Flowers Finalist, Waterloo Regional
2015-Founding Mentor FRC 1360 Orbit Robotics - Oakville's Community Team
www.1360.ca
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post
Will you ship to Canada?
Yes. Canada is $25 instead of $7.25 from what I can find.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2018, 05:28 PM
FRC #0114 (Los Altos High School)

Rookie Year: 2002
James114 is just really niceJames114 is just really niceJames114 is just really niceJames114 is just really niceJames114 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to James114

PM sent

Thanks for your supporting the FRC community.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Hardcore Dork

You're all welcome! I've been seeing a lot of this lately:

And, very surprisingly, a lot of this:

I haven't 'run the numbers' on user responses, but I've gotten a bunch of requests from lurkers, which I think is great.

My fitbit and cell phone have been vibrating off my wrist/out of my pocket.

I am really pumped to have a response this strong, and in the off-season no less! 34 paid through paypal and I just responded to maybe a dozen or more new requests.

Did a final count last night: 510x JHH2500Vs, or about $16,580 (new cost) in two shoe boxes on my dresser.

Last edited by JamesCH95 : 06-17-2018 at 04:36 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboChair View Post

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Brian Rozmierski
FRC #5881 (TVHS Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2016
bdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
And, very surprisingly, a lot of this:

I haven't 'run the numbers' on user responses, but I've gotten a bunch of requests from lurkers, which I think is great.
Thank you again for doing this. You might want to take a quick spin through some of those users w/ 0 posts and make sure they have a team number and an address that's at least close just in case this made it's way to Google/Reddit as a "get fr.ee endmills here" type of thing.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Hardcore Dork

I'm going to stop taking new requests at the end of today so that we can get things shipped by the end of the week. We're at 59 requests confirmed through PayPal right now!

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Hardcore Dork

I'm not going to be accepting any more requests, but those who have submitted requests can still submit PayPal payments through Thursday. I am thinking that we'll ship Friday or Saturday.

So far we have 72 paid through PayPal!

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Hardcore Dork

So, the USPS label making web interface was undergoing maintenance at the end of last week, I was out of town all weekend, and excuses over... I'm getting the first ~20 labels made tonight and they should ship tomorrow. Those in the first group (simply based on date paid) should have their mills in the mail tomorrow!

We've wound up with around 80 requests, I should be able to send everyone 6-7 of the 1/4in 5-flute mills. Those who requested raptors should be getting at least 1. The one or two people who requested metric mills will be getting a lot!

I'd love it if people could post up pictures of what they've made with these mills, share tips and trips for getting them to run well, and/or (if you're feeling really generous) stick a Grasshopper logo on your 2019 robot if you use the mills to make a part!

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Hardcore Dork

Second batch of 20 are labeled and packed, going to ship out tomorrow.

PayPal email addresses should be getting the USPS shipment notification.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: