OCCRA
Go to Post MAVERICKS, do ride horses...all while building robots. They also build horses. - Corey Balint [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2018, 11:33 PM
FRC #1595 (The Dragons)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
Kyle Luiten will become famous soon enoughKyle Luiten will become famous soon enough
Cordless DeWalt Vacuum (DCV581H) Repair

Does your team, you, or someone you know own a cordless DeWalt vacuum?
If so, you can help us out!

For teams looking to purchase a battery powered vacuum, we highly recommend this model. It is by far the most popular tool borrowed from our pit (just don't use it above 120V...)

A few years ago at an off-season event in China, our vacuum was accidentally connected to the 220V mains power... it proceeded to cry in pain, emit a cloud of smoke, and cease corded functionality. Luckily it still works with just a battery, but the time has come to fix it properly.

How you can help us:

All you need to do is open up your vacuum (see instructions below) and identify the component circled below in red. Yours will look slightly different since half of ours was obliterated - it should have text printed on one side.

Instructions:

1. Unplug your vacuum from mains power and/or remove the battery

2. Make sure your vacuum really truly isn't connected to mains power or a battery

3. Remove the vacuum hose and waste bin; set these aside

4. Remove the 6 screws circled in green below (don't loose these)

5. Pull the black panel away from the yellow outer shell (make sure the hose isn't connected)

6. Locate the round blue component, labeled RV201, near the edge of the control board (circled in red)

7. Reply to this post with an image and/or description of the text on the blue component.

8. Reverse these steps to reassemble your vacuum
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Eats Tableau for Breakfast
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cordless DeWalt Vacuum (DCV581H) Repair

Ive seen fried cameras, fried rio's, and even a fried heat gun, but i dont think ive seen someone ask to fix a fried vacuum.

Quick google search finds me the model number of the Vacuum to beDCV580 (i cant read) and i found a PDF breakdown of the said vacuum and a list of parts that can be ordered directly from DeWalt, which includes the PCB. Might be your best bet.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018

Last edited by MikLast : 07-06-2018 at 12:12 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2018, 12:56 AM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

That really looks like a MOV to me. Though if it was it would probably be in parallel with the AC input and since it's just a filter and transient clamp it would probably continue to work without it meaning there's a dead component further down the line. Are you able to trace the circuit out at all and test the fuse to make sure it's not blown?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
i found a PDF breakdown of the said vacuum and a list of parts that can be ordered directly from DeWalt, which includes the PCB. Might be your best bet.
I also notice the Guaranteed Repair Cost of $69.99, which is less than the cost of the board ($86.46). I didn't see any fine print that would prevent you from getting even this issue fixed that way, if you've got a DeWalt center near you.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

113 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is to use the repair service that Billfred suggested. You may also want to consider just buying a new one for about $105 ~ $115 and using this one only with the battery.

If you are feeling adventurous, you can try repairing it yourself.

As Marcus pointed out, the blue component is most likely an MOV used to clamp the input voltage. There is a switching power supply that charges the battery and/or runs the vacuum. It is possible that some components in the power supply are damaged. It would be difficult for someone to help you repair that by corresponding with you over the internet. Look on the outside of your vacuum. If it says it is rated at up to a maximum of 220 ~ 240 Vac, it is likely that the power supply was damaged.

If your are willing to spend a few dollars and take a chance, you could try replacing the MOV and the input fuse. The fuse is the cylindrical component with the white ceramic body and metal end caps just to the left and behind the MOV in the second photo. If you trace the circuit, you should find that the fuse is between the AC input and the MOV. In an over-voltage condition, the MOV is meant to clamp the voltage applied to the circuit. This would cause large currents to flow, blowing the fuse open and disconnecting the circuit from the input. I would expect that both the MOV and the fuse are open circuit when checked with a DVM set to Ohms. If the MOV appears shorted, remove it and check across where the MOV was connected. If it is still shorted, the power supply circuitry is severely damaged and it will be difficult for you to repair.

The fuse should have a current rating printed or embossed on it, say 3 A or something like that. It is most likely a slow-blow type. Replacements can be found at DigiKey, Mouser and Newark. If the other side of the MOV has some markings on it, they may be used to find a replacement. Otherwise, go to this link and select one with the larges "Package/Case" and highest "Current-Surge" and "Energy" that will physically fit on the circuit board.

Last edited by philso : 07-06-2018 at 12:35 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2018, 11:09 PM
FRC #1595 (The Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2007
Kyle Luiten will become famous soon enoughKyle Luiten will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
i dont think ive seen someone ask to fix a fried vacuum.
Come on Mikal, you know us - we always strive to be different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
I also notice the Guaranteed Repair Cost of $69.99, which is less than the cost of the board ($86.46). I didn't see any fine print that would prevent you from getting even this issue fixed that way, if you've got a DeWalt center near you.
Wow! I didn't even notice the 'guaranteed repair' option when I looked at the parts list earlier. Definitely going to remember that for future needs. My local repair center quoted only $58 for a brand new control board, but that's still much higher than we were hoping to pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
Are you able to trace the circuit out at all and test the fuse to make sure it's not blown?
Yes, I am able to. And would you look at that, it is blown. I never thought to check the fuse, I just assumed the charred, half-existent MOV was the only thing that blew out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
If your are willing to spend a few dollars and take a chance, you could try replacing the MOV and the input fuse. The fuse is the cylindrical component with the white ceramic body and metal end caps just to the left and behind the MOV in the second photo. If you trace the circuit, you should find that the fuse is between the AC input and the MOV. In an over-voltage condition, the MOV is meant to clamp the voltage applied to the circuit. This would cause large currents to flow, blowing the fuse open and disconnecting the circuit from the input. I would expect that both the MOV and the fuse are open circuit when checked with a DVM set to Ohms. If the MOV appears shorted, remove it and check across where the MOV was connected. If it is still shorted, the power supply circuitry is severely damaged and it will be difficult for you to repair.

The fuse should have a current rating printed or embossed on it, say 3 A or something like that. It is most likely a slow-blow type. Replacements can be found at DigiKey, Mouser and Newark. If the other side of the MOV has some markings on it, they may be used to find a replacement. Otherwise, go to this link and select one with the larges "Package/Case" and highest "Current-Surge" and "Energy" that will physically fit on the circuit board.
I removed both the fuse and the MOV, and it looks like the rest of the power supply is still okay.
The fuse seems to be a CONQUER PTU 004, which aligns well with this fuse from Digi-Key. Judging by the remaining few letters on the side of the MOV and its size, it looks like this MOV is a suitable replacement. I ordered some of each, so we'll see what happens once they're replaced.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Luiten View Post
... Wow! I didn't even notice the 'guaranteed repair' option when I looked at the parts list earlier. Definitely going to remember that for future needs. My local repair center quoted only $58 for a brand new control board, but that's still much higher than we were hoping to pay

Yes, I am able to. And would you look at that, it is blown. I never thought to check the fuse, I just assumed the charred, half-existent MOV was the only thing that blew out.

I removed both the fuse and the MOV, and it looks like the rest of the power supply is still okay.
The fuse seems to be a CONQUER PTU 004, which aligns well with this fuse from Digi-Key. Judging by the remaining few letters on the side of the MOV and its size, it looks like this MOV is a suitable replacement. I ordered some of each, so we'll see what happens once they're replaced.
If you look around online, you may be able to find the board being sold at a discount. I have found appliance and tool parts online at worthwhile discounts with a bit of searching.

The MOV and fuse look about right. Make sure the solder joints are good and wiggle the components a bit to make sure they don't come loose.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: