OCCRA
Go to Post you must understand when wearing that FIRST Volunteer shirt, you personally & directly represent FIRST, and you do the best job for FIRST as an organization, that you can in performing that job....Period. - cglrcng [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Announcements
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus
VEX Robotics Competition Announces New Game

VEX Robotics announces the new challenge for the 2008-2009 VEX Robotics Competition season: Elevation.

From the game description page:
Quote:
Elevation is played on a 12'x12' square field. Two alliances - one "red" and one "blue" - composed of two teams each, compete in each match which consists of a twenty-second autonomous period followed by two minutes of driver-controlled play.

The object of the game is to attain a higher score than your opponent alliance by placing cubes into goals, and by "owning" goals by having the highest cube in a given goal. Points can also be earned by "parking" on the platform or by "controlling" the bonus cube.

A bonus is awarded to the alliance that has the most total points at the end of the Autonomous Period.

More information about the game is available on the Elevation game page at VEXRobotics.com. There are already over 60 events in 6 countries ready to play Elevation this year -- check them out at RobotEvents.com.

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 08-19-2008 at 01:55 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
no team (British Columbia FRC teams)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VEX Robotics Competition Announces New Game

Looks like a fun game. It looks like the planned wi-fi upgrade wasn't ready to go in time for this season. While that is kind of unfortunate... I know a lot of people were looking forward to it... I'll give IFI credit for holding back and going with the tested and true rather than the flashy and new.

Jason
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
6th Gear Developer; Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
no team (6th Gear)

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtengineering View Post
Looks like a fun game. It looks like the planned wi-fi upgrade wasn't ready to go in time for this season. While that is kind of unfortunate... I know a lot of people were looking forward to it... I'll give IFI credit for holding back and going with the tested and true rather than the flashy and new.

Jason
Unless disaster strikes, ithe WIFI control system (in a tournament context) should make an appearance before the season is over, and there is a good likelihood that it will be available for many late season events; but you are right, they want it to be ready for prime time before it gets used widely.

Test, debug, retest, demo, then deploy....

Blake
Words/phrases I avoid: basis, mitigate, leveraging, transitioning, impact (instead of affect/effect), facilitate, programmatic, problematic, issue (instead of problem), latency (instead of delay), dependency (instead of prerequisite), connectivity, usage & utilize (instead of use), downed, functionality, functional, power on, descore, alumni (instead of alumnus/alumna), the enterprise, methodology, nomenclature, form factor (instead of size or shape), competency, modality, provided(with), provision(ing), irregardless/irrespective, signage, colorized, pulsating, ideate
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

What is the "VEX Power Expander" they mention?

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith

http://www.vexforum.com/showthread.php?t=4781
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:31 PM
NAwrot (a.k.a. jub jub)
AKA: Mike
FRC #0011 (MORT (Mount Olive Robotics Team))
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
Mike Nawrot is just really niceMike Nawrot is just really niceMike Nawrot is just really niceMike Nawrot is just really niceMike Nawrot is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mike Nawrot

Heh. Back in 2007, I was trying to organize a vex competition of sorts (with no success, but I got to have some fun designing a game). When I saw this year's competition, it instantly reminded me of that. There are significant difference between the two, but I still find it amusing.

Here's the game I came up with, if anybody is interested.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2011
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:44 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Smith View Post
thanks

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2008, 01:16 AM
FRC #1190

Mary has much to be proud ofMary has much to be proud ofMary has much to be proud ofMary has much to be proud ofMary has much to be proud ofMary has much to be proud ofMary has much to be proud ofMary has much to be proud ofMary has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: VEX Robotics Competition Announces New Game

The more I read through the game, the more I love it. Great range of challenges and something different than rounded objects like balls or pipes. It looks like some parts of it might be hard, but it looks like it should be lots of fun to watch and play also. It is still hard to believe we can register two or three teams for just $100 or $125, but it is a great policy. Should let us start two or three teams and get many more students involved. I can not wait to get started now, I think this game is a winner.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Hah, I have an idea for how to reliably acquire 6 cubes at once and still have room for almost any sort of customized drive train you want. I wonder if any of the teams will come up with the same idea. Go figure, it was inspired by a funny thought of a tesseract-style WallE.

Drive Coach, 1885 (2007-present)
Latest Project: Codex-based FRC Comms in Java

2017: Scoring Model | COPR Rank Simulator
1885: YouTube Channel | CAD Library | GitHub
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Build, Scout, Drive
AKA: Stephen
VRC #0478 (Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2006
astephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really nice

Can't wait for this game.
-Winners of the Drivers Challenge
Ontario Championship
-Finalists

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:09 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Ben Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond reputeBen Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm totally stoked.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:28 PM
FRC #0410

MarkJ is a splendid one to beholdMarkJ is a splendid one to beholdMarkJ is a splendid one to beholdMarkJ is a splendid one to beholdMarkJ is a splendid one to beholdMarkJ is a splendid one to beholdMarkJ is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: VEX Robotics Competition Announces New Game

I really like this game and love the different challenges. Our first team meeting is this week and I know that having the autonomous and driver only side shows in addition to the main event is really going to be popular with a few of the students we work with. Now to start signing up for events. I can't believe there are so many, it looks like they've got 60 or 70 events already around the country and we'll have a few out here to choose from.

We're very glad VEX kept a great program going for all the schools that need low cost high quality robot competitions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: