Go to Post Remember, the song is FIRST and the competition. We are the group. We dance to FIRST, we move because of it. - Joe Matt [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2004, 03:28 PM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
pic: 885 Right-center wheel and drive assembly

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Fold em oval!
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Max Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Max Lobovsky
Re: pic: 885 Right-center wheel and drive assembly

Are those wood blocks in front skids? What size, thickness, and material is that tubing?

2005 NYC Regional - 2nd seed, Xerox Creativity Award, Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Chesapeake Regional - Engineering Inspiration Award
2004 Chesapeake Regional - Rookie Inspiration award
2004 NJ Regional - Team Spirit Award
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 885 Right-center wheel and drive assembly

The skids are acutally made out of a plastic called 'stallpoly' at the shop 885 worked at. It is the same material used to make a lot of the stall deviders in bathrooms. The shop instructor has a good source of it, and uses it in all his classes as a cheaper and easier alternitive to wood or aluminum.

It's a bit softer then delrin, but still very strong. It also is pretty slick, as long as you take off the textured surface, so it slid on the carpet nicely. For lack of a better way of attaching them, I just threaded some 1/4 20 bolts through the frame and into a hole I drilled through the skids. It threaded right in and held them nicely, so I never bothered to change that arragnment. One skid came loose, and was lost on the field. We made up a replacement out of Delrin, and it seemed to preform just as well. I made 4 of those by eye in under an hour on a band saw and drill press. They were free to boot, which is the only real reason we used them instead of Delrin.

The rollers are thin wall aluminum tubing. I can't remeber for sure what the thickness was, but 1/32 seems to be sound right. I'll try to find out for sure. The exact length of the rollers varied a bit from revision to revision. I think the final length of just tubing was about 26 to 27 inchs. Including the gears and shafts, they were just a bit shy of a full 30 inches. The tubing was surpringly strong. I had anticipated having a lot of dented and busted up rollers by the end of nationals. But only one roller ever got a sizable dent in it, and we never bothered to replace it. I belive the tube came from McMaster.

-Andy A.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: