Go to Post Didn't know the details about the battery. In the past it was just a black (grey) box with two terminals...use...recharge...use..recharge. - cbolin [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What are your sins?
Mentors built our robot 64 20.45%
Mentors designed our robot 78 24.92%
Mentors worked on the robot without the students 82 26.20%
Mentors built the robot but students built the bumpers 53 16.93%
Students, what are those? 65 20.77%
Mentors drove the robot 62 19.81%
Mentors build the competition robot and students build the practice robot 47 15.02%
Mentors build the students and students don’t build anything 69 22.04%
We bagged our robot late 48 15.34%
We bagged a robot but we’ll re-bag a different one 49 15.65%
We will unbag for more than 6 hours 50 15.97%
We double bagged 54 17.25%
We weighed our robot in the bag 69 22.04%
We measured something in the bag 102 32.59%
We bagged a student so they can continue working inside the bag 127 40.58%
We built our robot after stop build so we could see all the reveal videos 58 18.53%
We bagged two robots 49 15.65%
I build a practice robot" 121 38.66%
We sandbagged an out of district event 51 16.29%
We sandbagged a regional event 56 17.89%
We leave our practice bot in the parking lot 63 20.13%
We brought in more then 30# of withholding 67 21.41%
We stuffed our bumpers 57 18.21%
We built a robot to play a game other than power up 80 25.56%
We asked the QA a question 126 40.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 12:50 PM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ANONYMOUS: Poll for confessing your team's sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronica1 View Post
Mark me down for the sin of "zip tying my pneumatic tanks to the robot."
That's not a sin, thats just practical sense.

Look guys, its done now.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Former Design and CAD Captain 1086
AKA: Alexander Kaplan
FRC #0401 (Copperhead Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Electronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboChair View Post
That's not a sin, thats just practical sense.

Look guys, its done now.
It is in CHS apparently, at least if you want to pass inspection. As expected the Q and A wasn't exactly helpful in clearing any of it up either.

1086-2010-2013 student, 2013-2016 mentor
401-2017 mentor, 2018- remote advice giver

Participating in Virginia Tech's AM Grand Challenge as part of team Kragle (we have been selected to be 1 of 10 teams to compete in the final round).
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Your missing "What bag?"
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Drive Coach
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2017
Anuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond reputeAnuraag Routray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
This reminds me of a now defunct team, KYS robotics. They got some grant money in their rookie year to build a robot for the 2015 game. They weren't very interested in the game (Who can blame them?) so they built a pretty sweet nerf gun turret instead. Realizing they still needed to go to competition they attached some hooks to the turret and competed with probably one of the worst 2015 robots ever. Still, they probably had more fun than most teams in 2015.

BTW, KYS wasn't their school's acronym or anything. It stands for exactly what you think it does.
Ok, this is definitively the best thing I've read on CD.

FRC Team 624 CRyptonite 2017-
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 01:07 PM
🤔 Really makes you think...
AKA: Preston
FRC #0401 (Copperhead Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

pchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronica1 View Post
It is in CHS apparently, at least if you want to pass inspection. As expected the Q and A wasn't exactly helpful in clearing any of it up either.
Hey now, "cable ties still allow the tank to shift, particularly along the tank's axis, and that creates an unsafe condition if there is a risk of the tank escaping." Come on Alex, isn't that obvious?
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Chairman's and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Kourosh Kadivar
FRC #1241 (Theory6), FRC #1285 (The Big Bang)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
lurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant futurelurker has a brilliant future

Quote:
This reminds me of a now defunct team, KYS robotics. They got some grant money in their rookie year to build a robot for the 2015 game. They weren't very interested in the game (Who can blame them?) so they built a pretty sweet nerf gun turret instead. Realizing they still needed to go to competition they attached some hooks to the turret and competed with probably one of the worst 2015 robots ever. Still, they probably had more fun than most teams in 2015.

BTW, KYS wasn't their school's acronym or anything. It stands for exactly what you think it does.
I wish I had known this while they were still around, I miss them already

Team 1241: Follow our Instagram page here!
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Eats Tableau for Breakfast
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Sauce View Post
“Jar Jar Janks” or “4-bar linkage”
Me too thanks.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 01:37 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuraag Routray View Post
Ok, this is definitively the best thing I've read on CD.
It gets even better, when asked why they named themselves KYS they'd say "When you see us on your alliance you'll wanna KYS"

In 2017 throughout both competitions they were consistently scoring gears on their opponent's airship instead of their own. This was actually pretty impressive considering that they were almost unable to see the pegs due to the sight lines.

Personally I wished the judges had given them the GP award for this achievement. FIRST is all about helping your competitors, I can't think of anything more GP than scoring gears for them.

I'll miss them. They served as a good reminder to never take things too seriously.

Last edited by mman1506 : 02-27-2018 at 01:39 PM.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Globe Motor Fan Club
FRC #6364 (TenTon), #610 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2006
Duncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Duncan Macdonald

Needs:
Defered "designing" a subsystem until after we found a reveal video we liked.
After 3+ events worth of witholding allowances, we're bringing a new robot to championship.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Macdonald View Post
Needs:
Defered "designing" a subsystem until after we found a reveal video we liked.
After 3+ events worth of witholding allowances, we're bringing a new robot to championship.
We found the 558 team member using a fake account!
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 02:09 PM
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

I see from other CD posts that our double bagging plans are failing. We hoped to by placing our build mentor into the second bag that we'd be safe if the robot bag fell off. But somehow he's escaped. We should know better as he always has a knife.

Also, the air tank zip ties are in the bag (and already broken) despite it being on the list of "surely, we'll fix this before bag day".

And kudos to the poll trolls.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 02:23 PM
AKA: Charles
FRC #1726 (Nifty Engineering Robotics Design Squad)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2015
NerdyCharmax has a spectacular aura aboutNerdyCharmax has a spectacular aura aboutNerdyCharmax has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: ANONYMOUS: Poll for confessing your team's sins

I silently whisper to myself “now this is podracing” before every match...
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 02:36 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyCharmax View Post
I silently whisper to myself “now this is podracing” before every match...
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 02:49 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It gets even better, when asked why they named themselves KYS they'd say "When you see us on your alliance you'll wanna KYS"

In 2017 throughout both competitions they were consistently scoring gears on their opponent's airship instead of their own. This was actually pretty impressive considering that they were almost unable to see the pegs due to the sight lines.

Personally I wished the judges had given them the GP award for this achievement. FIRST is all about helping your competitors, I can't think of anything more GP than scoring gears for them.

I'll miss them. They served as a good reminder to never take things too seriously.
This last fall, my team placed well enough in the BEST city competition to progress to the "regional" (which means something different in BEST). We agreed to go and then found ourselves with no time or interest in improving the robot before the event. When the day came we couldn't even stay through the afternoon, so after one round we went to the referees and requested that we have all our scores for the day vacated. They were used to, they said, having teams argue that their scores were too low, not too high. In the end they agreed, and we spent a pleasant morning making our robot do everything wrong, like put the mannequin into the fire instead of rescuing it. Since BEST scores are per robot and there are no alliances, everyone benefited from our losses, and we had a very entertaining day.

Remember why you're doing this.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 03:03 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: Yo! Champ in the making!
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so conflicted - I want to put a student in the bag to work on the robot but then I have to let students work on the robot....the struggle is real

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: