Go to Post I'll wait for someone else to do it, then disagree with whatever they say. :p - Jcarbon [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Yarden Saad
AKA: Yarden Saad
FRC #3339 (BumbleB)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2009
yarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond repute
Is FIRST Championship truly international?

I would like to discuss about the international part of the FIRST Championship.
To begin I will introduce myself:
My name is Yarden Saad and I am a mentor and alumni of team 3339 BumbleB from Israel. My team qualified many times to the championship since our rookie year.

In order to play at the championship an international team has to overcome some obstacles:
The team needs to buy plane tickets in short time. How much short?
Let's assume you are a team from Turkey that competed in the Istanbul Regional from March - 9 to 12 (Week 2 of competitions). You will qualify to Houston Championship starting at April 18. You will have about a month to buy plane tickets, get a VISA to the US & ship your robot to the championship.
But, if you are a team from Israel, you will qualify to the Championship only after the DCMP on March 29 (Week 4 of competitions) which is about 2 and a half week before the Championship.

It is possible, teams do that.
As FIRST is growing it will not work, in Israel many teams are buying plane tickets in advance in order to be able to attend the championship.
In most international areas there is importance to early competitons (~weeks 1-3). It is not always possible due to venues availablilty or the district model which takes time.

After this introduction we need to ask ourselves: Can FIRST make things easier to international teams?
The answer is Yes!

Currently, FIRST has 2 Championships, one of them (Detroit) is later than the other (Houston).
But, most (almost all) international teams goes to Houston, all of those teams are from countries with Regional/District Events, while the International teams that goes to Detroit are few and are geographicaly closer to the US.
Events that qualify to Houston: China, Israel, Australia, Turkey ~ 55 teams out of 400.
The part of international teams in the championship will continue to grow as more regions having competitions.

If so, Why almost all international teams (non North America) are attending Houston while Detroit is left almost not international (~5 teams out of 400 are not from US/Canada)?

What do you think about changing the Championship assigment map?
In my opinion it will force some teams from the US to travel a little bit more to the Championship, but it will balance between international and non international teams.

-Yarden

2018 - Hopper Sub-division Finalists
2016 - Curie Sub-division Winners, Regional Winners
2015 - Carson Sub-division Winners, Regional Winners
2012 - 3339 Captain and Dean's List Finalist
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 12:10 PM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is FIRST Championship truly international?

As a district team at North Championship who qualifies week 6, we can feel your pain. Though we don't pay in terms of visa and other issues, we simply can't pay for tickets week 6. It's too expensive. When we went in 2016, we booked our tickets week 3-4 (our odds were good) and on the off-chance we didn't qualify would have to eat that massive loss of plane tickets.

I can't imagine what the Week 7 teams (Michigan especially) have to go through every single season.

I won't pretend to have a solution, but it's an issue. I miss the teams from Israel and the rest of the world, I really do...

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumnus | 1228 (2017-Present) - I do stuff
KD2KRT

Last edited by tjf : 04-30-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: 2champs lamentation.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 12:39 PM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
no team (Volunteer, 1836 Alum, and extreme instigator)

jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute

I think nearly every team in FRC could use additional time between when they qualify and when the Championship begins. Obviously, this issue is much more extreme for some international teams.

My question* for everyone: why is there such a short turnaround for the FIRST Championship from Regionals and District Championships?

*This is an honest question. I'm guessing there are reasons for this but since I do not know them, I don't want to speculate.

And before it is pointed out to me, I know that May becomes hard with AP testing and June becomes hard with graduations and then it is the summer. Like Tim, not going to pretend I have a solution here.

―――
TEAM 1836: THE MILKENKNIGHTS (Class of 2018)
FB // Twitter // Insta // Snap // GitHub // TBA // Web

FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES Click here
Admin of: FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK ON FACEBOOK Click here//How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION Click here
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 12:43 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

So the current scheduling and Champs region division is likely driven primarily by Michigan, with help from the rest of the northeast US districts. Michigan sends ~100 teams to Champs and pretty much has to have a Week 7 DCMP. Several of the other districts near Michigan are close enough in size that going with Week 7 DCMPs makes sense for them just to make it easier to schedule events. So you have a massive number of teams in that area all running until Week 7. Which means Detroit has to come in Week 9, and has to be in Detroit-ish area, and just plain doesn't have room for anyone else without booting out a geographical region that is still pretty close to Detroit.

So everyone else gets to head to Houston, including the international teams. Possible solutions in the 2020+ time frame are to move both Champs to the same weekend and hope you have enough volunteers, move Houston to Week 10, or move both events back a week. Or to consolidate both events into a single Week 9 Champs.

Choices are going to be interesting for the 2020+ timeframe because Texas will have moved to districts, and a Week 6 TX-DCMP format is going to get really cramped really fast. At the same time, I can't see FIRST being super happy about pushing all the Champs back another week OR trying to hold 2 Champs in 2 different cities on the same weekend. Maybe we'll just find somewhere in the middle of the country and build our own little temporary city for a week, ala Burning Man.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 12:45 PM
JWBWIFW
AKA: Mike MacLean
FRC #2122 (Team Tators)

Rookie Year: 2008
mwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond repute

Not disagreeing with the OP, but I think it is worth noting that for many teams in the district system late qualification for CMP is a fact of life that regional qualifying teams do not (with the exception of week 5 & 6) generally face.
2015 Tesla SF IDA 2122 3360 2960 1311 IRI SF 2338 2122 107 234 UT F 2122 3230 3405 EEA WFFA AZW W 2122 3309 5059 ICA
2014 Galileo QF 1717 2122 3683 193 UT W 2122 2996 3191 ICA CCC W 1678 2122 9073 ICA
2013 CalGames W 2122 1678 4171
2012 Newton QF 2122 610 488 Spokane W 2122 1983 4082 EEA
2011 Newton SF 1730 2122 11 IRI F 3138 16 2122 1730 UT W 2122 399 3239 MQA Seattle F 2122 488 2850 MQA
2010 Galileo SF 78 51 2122 UT W 1696 2122 3405 IDA SacTown F 2122 2035 1834 IDA
2009 SacTown F 2144 692 115 2122 MQA
2008 Newton SacTown W 2122 1662 115 CA
2007 PNW Regional HRS
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 12:48 PM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
no team (Volunteer, 1836 Alum, and extreme instigator)

jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmac View Post
Not disagreeing with the OP, but I think it is worth noting that for many teams in the district system late qualification for CMP is a fact of life that regional qualifying teams do not (with the exception of week 5 & 6) generally face.
It may be a fact of life for district teams, and that sucks. I think the point, here, is that this is a problem all around (one district teams almost always face, and some non-district teams face depending on their regionals).

―――
TEAM 1836: THE MILKENKNIGHTS (Class of 2018)
FB // Twitter // Insta // Snap // GitHub // TBA // Web

FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES Click here
Admin of: FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK ON FACEBOOK Click here//How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION Click here
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel

Last edited by jaredhk : 04-30-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Removing some snark
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 12:51 PM
we'll fix it in the pit
FRC #2706 (Merge Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
GreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about this too but from a different perspective. We just came back from "North Champs" and while it was cool to see the relatively few international teams (by this I mean outside US and Canada) we also missed out on meeting and seeing the international teams you would have seen in Houston. I remember meeting the Australian, Israeli and Turkish teams in St. Louis in 2015. Now we'll never see them again.

"If I'm going to mentor someone, I'm going to be involved in their life as a positive force." -Mechvet
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 01:20 PM
i make science jokes periodically
AKA: Abigail Fox
FRC #1711 (Raptors)
Team Role: Programmer

abigailthefox has much to be proud ofabigailthefox has much to be proud ofabigailthefox has much to be proud ofabigailthefox has much to be proud ofabigailthefox has much to be proud ofabigailthefox has much to be proud ofabigailthefox has much to be proud ofabigailthefox has much to be proud of

Hey BumbleB! We missed you at north champs this year (if you want to come and win another division with us, we'd love it ).

Trying to afford to go to champs this year, and secure logistics, was an absolute nightmare for our team. We're in FiM and we were by no means a shoo-in after our week 1&3 events. We did not know for sure that we had qualified to attend champs until Saturday night of week 7. Consequently, we had to stay out in Romulus and make a 20-30 minute drive every morning into Detroit, followed by a 10-20 minute people mover ride to Cobo. Not to mention needing to raise $5,000 just to cover the entry feeŚin two weeks.

My heart goes out to any international team that has to deal with all of the above logistical nightmare in addition to needing to secure things like plane tickets ($$$) and visas. Personally, I think international teams should be able to choose which champs they want to attend. Other than Canada, most international teams have an equally long journey to either event. Allowing teams to choose their champs could alleviate the stress of a limited window to figure out logistics, and allow teams to choose a location that is more financially tenable for them to attend.

The only difficulty is that north champs tends to already be full with the nearby districts (there's a lot). To alleviate this, some teams on the border between the two (with comparable travel times to each) could be assigned to Houston champs. This would only be necessary if too many international teams chose north champs.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Business and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Richard McCann
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Rookie Year: 2012
Citrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond repute

One solution could be to divide the FRC world into 4 sections instead of 2. The Michigan/Ontario and Texas sections would continue to go their respective Champs. Then there would be an Eastern section and a Western/International section. These would alternate Champs as that the relative travel distance to Detroit and Houston on average is probably not very different. There would be more mixing of teams as well as more international integration.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 02:41 PM
AKA: Hunter Colwell
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)
Team Role: Alumni

Hunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond reputeHunter2471 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the points I had were already made by others, but I'll try to add my own thoughts. Our team has had the pleasure of going to Worlds every year since 2011. Once the PNW moved to districts, we found that booking in advance became far less risky. Currently, we book our hotel around the fall (October & November) and tell our team members to pay for their flight around that same time (we don't pay as a team for students or mentors flights). Of course, we never knew whether or not we were going for sure, so we would do things like book Southwest as they allow for an exchange for another flight within one year should we not qualify or make sure our hotel rooms could be canceled in advance.

At least for districts, one solution could be for their organizers to purchase hotel rooms. I know that PNW did something like this for this year, reserving rooms in the Marriott Marquis across the street from the venue. Our team didn't take them up on this offer because the hotel we found was significantly cheaper. This however, requires the district to have significant overhead, something which may vary from district to district and year to year. And regionals AFAIK don't have the same level of financial help that districts do.

I also like the idea of pushing back champs a week or two, however this could conflict with AP testing which is very important to some people.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 02:46 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Dad View Post
One solution could be to divide the FRC world into 4 sections instead of 2. The Michigan/Ontario and Texas sections would continue to go their respective Champs. Then there would be an Eastern section and a Western/International section. These would alternate Champs as that the relative travel distance to Detroit and Houston on average is probably not very different. There would be more mixing of teams as well as more international integration.
The Eastern champs would probably be the best place for teams from Europe and the Middle East. I agree that Western champs could best host teams from Asia and the South Pacific. Cool idea.

Remember why you're doing this.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

We just need more championships. That'll solve it.
Clarke's Laws
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 03:07 PM
no team

Howard C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant future

The time crunch is real. I have met students that after winning they cannot make it to the World Championship be it cost or time hurdles.

A time solution isn't easy since we are bounded on one side by December holidays and by AP exams and graduations at the other. These venues also need to be booked several years in advance for a World Championship. It is also hard to divide teams evenly between both since it is hard to predict which teams will qualify.

I think there is potential for some relief if some teams are able to pick between an earlier or later championship. FIRST took away the ability for teams to switch championships for logistic hurdles and that only a few teams did it. I would like to see that come back and see if we could find a way to make it work.

One of the things about the events outside of North America right now is all of the respective countries send their teams to Houston. Since most teams at those events are local to the country logic predicts that most of those teams that qualify will go to Houston. An example case is Poland's 5883, they won in China. A team from China would go to Houston, but since 5883 is from Poland, they go to Detriot. Since most teams at the regionals in China are local to China most of the teams moving on go to Houston. This is one of the factors that lead towards the lopsided non-North American team representation at the respective World Championships. If we flipped China or Australia this year to Detriot 13 teams would be moving. That or we create a new Regional(s) in Europe.

Would be interesting if there was a sponsor that would donate n number of plane tickets to the winning team(s) so they could attend. One way we could help the logistics and cost hurdle.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 03:20 PM
Friends of Waialua Robotics, Inc.
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard C View Post
The time crunch is real. I have met students that after winning they cannot make it to the World Championship be it cost or time hurdles.
This was unfortunate for a few teams I saw at VEX Worlds that didnt attend Detroit, even though they had qualified. This includes our alliance partner in Hawaii from Michigan.

2018 Canadian Rockies Regional Champions, #1 seed
2018 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award
2018 Festival de Robotique-Montreal Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Friends of Waialua Robotics, Inc.
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

In response to the OP,
the issue I see with the concept of calling the 2 Championships a World Championship for both the North and South event, is that it truly isnt inclusive of all of the countries that participate.
Its seems more appropriate to call South Champs the World Championship (almost all international teams attend) and the North Champs the Canada/USA (North America) Championship.

2018 Canadian Rockies Regional Champions, #1 seed
2018 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award
2018 Festival de Robotique-Montreal Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: