OCCRA
Go to Post Dave, you're going to have quite the motor pool on Mars. :D - skimoose [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Tech Challenge
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM
FRC #1502

n3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud ofn3rdchik has much to be proud of
[FTC]: Speak to me of FTC Leagues

If you are in a league, what do you like? Don't like? How many competitions are there? How many volunteers do you need?

Michigan FTC Teams are exploding and it looks like it will be a huge challenge just to get into 2 Qualifiers. Also, this means the slots available to State's is going to be very limited (like 3 per competition). As a 2nd year team, we aren't as competitive as we'd like to be - and my kids just want to compete with their robots. We definitely have the team/sq mi density - but the knowhow? maybe?
Lead Mentor for FTC #11617 - Chelsea Glitch, FTC #11618 - Chelsea Gremlins, FTC #11729 - Chelsea Crash
And Mama to a FRC'er, FTC'er and mini-Mentor-and-FLLjr'er
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2017, 10:12 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Rainydaymaker is on a distinguished road
Re: [FTC]: Speak to me of FTC Leagues

Leagues in PNW provide 2 league matches that lead into a league final combining multiple leagues. Performance is cumulative including league finals to qualify for state championships. Judging only occurs at league finals and beyond. You have to do well early and improve with each match.
FRC Mentor 1983
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Game Announcer, MC, Referee
AKA: Josh Klar
FRC #3138
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2013
iv597 is just really niceiv597 is just really niceiv597 is just really niceiv597 is just really nice
Re: [FTC]: Speak to me of FTC Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdchik View Post
If you are in a league, what do you like? Don't like? How many competitions are there? How many volunteers do you need?

Michigan FTC Teams are exploding and it looks like it will be a huge challenge just to get into 2 Qualifiers. Also, this means the slots available to State's is going to be very limited (like 3 per competition). As a 2nd year team, we aren't as competitive as we'd like to be - and my kids just want to compete with their robots. We definitely have the team/sq mi density - but the knowhow? maybe?
I've moved to the PNW over the summer, but for Velocity Vortex I lived in IL (specifically Chicago), which went (mostly) full-blown leagues for that season, so I can share a Head Ref/Ref/Game Announcer/Emcee perspective. The general format, at least in Chicago, was a total of 9 league meets (3 for each of 3 divisions, North/Central/South), which then led to the League Championship (all 3 divisions come together for something resembling the QTs of days past), which would qualify teams for States.

Volunteer load is pretty light at the meets - you need a minimum of maybe 10-12ish to make them happen - at the least, a Head Ref and 2 Referees, a Lead Robot Inspector, an FTA, probably a CSA, a Scorekeeper, and the folks managing the logistics behind the scenes (Volunteer + Event Coordinators). Realistically you'll want several other roles filled - a few Inspectors, a DJ, queuing folks, etc. but you'll (technically) survive if you can't fill them - you'll just have some volunteers doubling up. Two roles you pretty specifically *don't* need filled include MC+GA. The EC can handle the 10 minute opening ceremony, and GAs are just... not necessary at this level (there's often not much of a show here). In Chicago's league structure we were running 15 match meets (only qualifying matches - elims don't show up until league champs).

For league championships, expect the same volunteer roster as a QT and you'll be fine.

From a volunteer perspective, it's great - I technically work more Saturdays, but those Saturdays aren't total washes - I'm on my feet for ~6 hours rather than the ~10-12 of a QT. As an FRC alum and former FTC mentor, I think leagues are a great system overall, but the lack of judging at the meet level seems a little odd - you get just one shot at the Inspire/Think/etc. now, and it's at League Champs. Aside from the lack of judging iteration, there's a lot more opportunity for robot iteration, which I think is great.

This was a fairly rushed reply and I've probably left out some interesting stuff - feel free to ask further questions!

FRC: Game Announcer, Referee, Alum + Former Mentor (3138)
FTC: (Head) Referee, Game Announcer, Emcee, Former Mentor (7078)

Last edited by iv597 : 07-11-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: