OCCRA
Go to Post If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body then left handers are the only ones in "their right mind". - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2017, 05:35 PM
4513 alum
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
FRC #4513 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Championship Robot Mechanism Pictures 2017

4513's active, moving gear mechanism. Once we get the bot back ill take more in depth photos/video and explain how everything works better.

General Showing of our gear mechanism
Playlist of GoPro Footage inside the robot at PNW DCMP

Small highlight vid of our robot from DCMP from matches done day 1 (i was hoping to make a better, fuller one for CMP but we did not bring a TV so the idea was scrapped. I may make one after i get the CMP gopro footage and DCMP footage if it is wanted.)

FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM
AKA: Andrew Weissman
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Drewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewit View Post
This is awesome! I'll upload some photos in the coming days of robots that I was able to get pictures of as well. Does anyone know if a similar album exists for photos from Houston Champs? If so, could you please link to it in this thread? Thanks!
As promised, here are the photos I took at the 2017 St. Louis Championship (forewarning, I don't claim to be a professional photographer, or even a hobbyist. I just wanted better pictures than my iPhone could provide):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1k?usp=sharing

Admittedly there are a lot from 254 (we had to walk right by them to get to our pit ), including a movie of their gear pickup mechanism, which was spring-loaded to allow it to constantly remain flat to the floor without digging, even as their robot rocked back and forth. It's really cool!
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2017, 06:10 PM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
4513's active, moving gear mechanism. Once we get the bot back ill take more in depth photos/video and explain how everything works better.
We discussed (and bought parts for) basically exactly this, but ultimately deemed it unnecessary as the peg was fairly tolerant to misalignment. How useful did you find it, overall?

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2017, 06:29 PM
4513 alum
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
FRC #4513 (Circuit Breakers)

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblarg View Post
We discussed (and bought parts for) basically exactly this, but ultimately deemed it unnecessary as the peg was fairly tolerant to misalignment. How useful did you find it, overall?
We went with it after deciding mecanum would pose a bigger issue than their usefulness for us, and we are very much happy to of gone this route. Most alignments were done with the mech itself instead of the robot, and though it was controlled by a window motor it was quicker than moving the bot itself in most cases, especially when our driver/operator were working together.The beginning of this vid shows how quick it can be

FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Gunning for Blue in 2018
AKA: Porkchop Sandwiches
FRC #2170 (Titanium Tomahawks)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to revive this thread to get more people to post links to any good robot mechanism photos they have.

Please upload any photos you may have to Allen's links:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenGregoryIV View Post
Spectrum will putting together a gallery to help with this and thanks for the idea Akash we'll start tagging specific mechanisms and build up galleries for shooters, gear intakes, etc.

Anyone that wants to contribute IRI photos can upload them to this link. Spectrum will then tag items in the coming weeks with team numbers and mechanisms.

https://spectrum3847.smugmug.com/upload/V6w896/IRI2017

If you want to upload robot mechanism photos that aren't from IRI feel free to put them here.

https://spectrum3847.smugmug.com/upload/NXzsKj/robots
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Drive it like you stole it
AKA: Julia Cecchetti
FRC #0291 (CIA: Creativity in Action)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
Classified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to behold

I took tons of photos of a lot of the robots at Saint Louis. I'm happy to share!

Here is a drive with all of them. all of the pictures are named with their respective team number.

I went around and talked to as many teams as I could and asked questions and took pictures.

2017 NEOFRA MVRC Winner with 2399 and 2252
2017 Steel City Showdown Winner with 2614 and 3260
2017 WOW Championship Finalist with 4145, 3138, and 3511
2016 Rachacha Ruckus Finalist with 5406 and 639
2015 Rachacha Ruckus Finalist with 1126 and 5406
2015 NEOFRA MVRC Finalist with 48 and 379
2015 Buckeye Regional Finalist with 48 and 5413
Team291.com
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Gunning for Blue in 2018
AKA: Porkchop Sandwiches
FRC #2170 (Titanium Tomahawks)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified* View Post
I took tons of photos of a lot of the robots at Saint Louis. I'm happy to share!

Here is a drive with all of them. all of the pictures are named with their respective team number.

I went around and talked to as many teams as I could and asked questions and took pictures.
You are my absolute hero right now. These are excellent!!!
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 12:02 AM
FRC #5883
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
xszym is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is few photos from my phone. Good luck

https://goo.gl/photos/BEJHCAdxXXFCQ6yi9
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 12:47 PM
FRC #2767
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
Cory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond repute

Here is 2767s gear intake. It rode on the bottom of the chassis, not many people saw it out from underneath the robot.

We mounted the two talons on the intake. It also had two photo eyes to tell us where the gear was in it's travel to the rear of the intake. In order to limit the wiring of the photo eyes back to the roborio, we used our sentinel board to receive the signal wires, its available at andymark. You can see the red board on the talon in the picture.

http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-3495.htm

https://goo.gl/photos/Ri8ebpSNZbUfzzJcA
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Walters View Post
Here is 2767s gear intake. It rode on the bottom of the chassis, not many people saw it out from underneath the robot.

We mounted the two talons on the intake. It also had two photo eyes to tell us where the gear was in it's travel to the rear of the intake. In order to limit the wiring of the photo eyes back to the roborio, we used our sentinel board to receive the signal wires, its available at andymark. You can see the red board on the talon in the picture.

http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-3495.htm

https://goo.gl/photos/Ri8ebpSNZbUfzzJcA

Thanks for sharing and its definitely really cool, but to be honest I'm still pretty confused how it actually works. Do you have any documentation on the process for designing it? Maybe a video of a later rev prototype or maybe one of you cad students is like me and makes animations of layout sketches? I'd love to get a better sense of how the mechanism works and your process in designing it.

"Once you've decided that it isn't a code problem, isn't a mechanical problem, and isn't an electrical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong"
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2017, 08:46 AM
FRC #5811 (The BONDS)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
Peter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
Thanks for sharing and its definitely really cool, but to be honest I'm still pretty confused how it actually works. Do you have any documentation on the process for designing it? Maybe a video of a later rev prototype or maybe one of you cad students is like me and makes animations of layout sketches? I'd love to get a better sense of how the mechanism works and your process in designing it.
I've got a theory on how it works, it would be cool if someone from 2767 could check if I got it. Either way, like Marcus, I would be very interested in learning about the process that led from prototypes to this beauty.

From parts of their recap video you can see the first row of "ninja-stars" for balls, and then the next row, right-most in the picture posted by Cory, for gears. The funnel centers the gear and sends it into the surgical tubing roller, which pops the gear off the ground. The row of ninja-stars above the surgical tube continue to advance the gear along. The magic I believe occurs when the servos rotate the black bar up into the path of the gear. When the gear hits the black bar the system knows the exact position of the gear. The servo pivots the bar out of the way, and the far motor uses the integrated VP encoder to precisely slide the gear to the end of the system. Finally, the near motor rotates the metal bracket, where the servos are, and the gear into the upright scoring position. To score, the bracket tilts down and leaves the gear on the peg. At least that's my best guess.

This is such an awesome mechanism, and isn't the only incredible one on this robot. 2767 absolutely deserves all 6 Blue Banners.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2017, 01:34 PM
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force)

Rookie Year: 2010
Mark Wasserman is a splendid one to beholdMark Wasserman is a splendid one to beholdMark Wasserman is a splendid one to beholdMark Wasserman is a splendid one to beholdMark Wasserman is a splendid one to beholdMark Wasserman is a splendid one to beholdMark Wasserman is a splendid one to behold

The first row of ninja stars are used to sweep in fuel and send it into the stripper blade (not pictured). The gear passes under the stripper blade and hits a roller covered in surgical tubing which pops it off the ground. The second row of ninja stars pulls the gear onto the storage platform. A sensor tells the driver that the sequence has been completed and the gear is ready to be staged. There is a second sensor that stops the process when the gear is loaded completely on the storage shelf to be staged for delivery. When the driver wants to hang the gear, they stage the gear out of the back of the robot. This is done by a third set of ninja stars that push the gear out onto the delivery shelf. A clamp, run by two large servos, holds the gear onto the delivery shelf. The gear is then staged by rotating the shelf from a horizontal to a vertical position. The driver drives into the spring and the gear is released. One motor and a VP gearbox runs all the ninja stars, the other motor and VP gearbox tilts the delivery shelf, and two servos clamp the gear. IMO one cool thing is the way we read the first sensor. We hooked it up to the an empty limit switch position on one of the Talons. We then told the Talon to ignore the limit switch but report its status to the RoBoRio. Tada!.. no more running limit switches to the RoBoRio. 

As far as the “process” of the design, we decided early on that picking off the floor was going to be faster than a human can load. The area under the robot was where the gear mechanism would live. We also decided to capitalize on the whole swerve thing in order to run over the gear. The biggest challenge was getting the gear from horizontal the vertical which took a couple of prototype iterations.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute

Mark,
Thanks for the details. Very cool mech.
We considered doing the drive-over-the-gear-and-pick-it-up-and-shoot-it-to-the-back method but decided the flipping the gear vertical part was going to take up too much space. Nice solution to a challenging problem.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2017, 08:44 AM
AKA: Zaky
FRC #3140 (Flagship)

yello4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got some photos of 973 when we were in a match with them:
https://goo.gl/photos/DiBaGznhZ4uC2zN97
I was surprised at how much #25 chain they have. Also the small wheels on their gear mechanism are from an RC car!
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

marcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant future

Thanks for posting those cool pictures!!

973 has been using those wheels forever! I'd bet they have a bunch in stock and prototype so much that they work well with a variety of game pieces. Those wheels (or very similar) showed up on their 2011 claw, 2014 intake/outtake thing, 2015 intake (on both robot revisions), and obviously their 2017 gear intake. Maybe I missed some or there are a few that predate me, but those wheels are pretty common on 973 robots and work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yello4 View Post
Got some photos of 973 when we were in a match with them:
https://goo.gl/photos/DiBaGznhZ4uC2zN97
I was surprised at how much #25 chain they have. Also the small wheels on their gear mechanism are from an RC car!

"Once you've decided that it isn't a code problem, isn't a mechanical problem, and isn't an electrical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong"
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: