OCCRA
Go to Post I think that is important to note that winning teams have won without bending the rules. GP allows you to go ask, investigate and take pictures. Learn from others when you have the chance. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM
in hibernation
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs), FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: <G14> - ya win some, ya lose some

Well, there goes my strategy of blowing out the opponent and then committing flagrant safety and sportsmanship violations to keep the margin close
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXShadowXX View Post
2 purely defensive alliances, one team scores 2 points by a human player mistake and they get a <G14>. [SARCASM]WOW thats fair[/SARCASM]
Is it important whether or not it's "fair"? That hypothetical team obviously isn't going to be affected by a missing super cell.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Coach - Team 1718
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Craig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to this rule a team could go 0-12 (or whatever, depending on the number of matches) and play every match with the exception of their first one down 1 or more empty cells because they happen to paired with at least one team from an alliance who doubled up their opponets in the previous match. I'm not suggesting this will happen (I'm sure the odds are against it) but it is theoretically possible.

More likely, scenario - Team A's alliance gets tripled up by Team B's alliance. Next time through Team A is on an alliance with team B and get's penalized 2 empty cells because of it.

Interesting.

#19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
TSIMFD
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetraman View Post
I think this reminds us that to excel in this year's game, you have to think about more then just being able to score and avoid being scored on...this year, if you want a high rank, you have to allow yourself to be scored on while making sure that you make more points yourself.
You also have to build a robot that doesn't depend on using super cells because more than likely you will lose a few because of alliance pairings.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
You also have to build a robot that doesn't depend on using super cells because more than likely you will lose a few because of alliance pairings.
And this is a bad thing because ?

Learn to be adapatable. If you are missing a empty/supercell then adapt your strategy and move on. It's like playing chess without your queen (queens gambit?), most people are loath to do so because it takes them out of their comfort zone ... just like a lot of things in this years game (and in life)
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:23 PM
FIRST Senior Mentor - Washington
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

I recently posted a question on Q and A concerning how G14 will be used in eliminations. I am sure others have noticed this too but by rule, if an alliance doubled the score of the other alliance during eliminations...it would result in a loss of 3 supercells in the next match...one for each team...

A 3x result in the first match would mean a loss of 6 supercells.......

I asked for a clarificatoin on how this rule would be used in elimination rounds.

In my opinion.... the rule should not be used in elimination rounds...
If there is some other reason for the rule other than trying to make the matches closer so less experienced teams can still be in close matches... I would like to hear it... I can see this for the qual matches...

Eliminations should be just that... the better alliance wins...
What could actually result is a really good alliance beating a team badly in the first match... being handicapped in the 2nd match and losing and then when the third match is played blowing out the other team again but NOW they have to worry about the next elimination round... they will again start that match handicapped...

I just fail to see the reasoning behind the use of this rule during eliminations if we are trying to get the best alliance....
the carryover issue is interesting...

It is sort of like World Cup Soccer and the yellow card rule that states if you have two yellow cards you have to sit out the next match... even if its the final...

The only difference is that there is no real penalty or transgression going on when you get nailed by G14 You are just trying to do your best to play the game as designed...

Yellow Cards in World Cup are for pretty bad penalties that are real physical violations on the field... different I think

In my opinion at least...
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:29 PM
FRC #0675 (Tech High Robotics Syndicate)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
Hellfeier675 is an unknown quantity at this point

things are a little harder now...
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:30 PM
TSIMFD
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
And this is a bad thing because ?

Learn to be adapatable. If you are missing a empty/supercell then adapt your strategy and move on. It's like playing chess without your queen (queens gambit?), most people are loath to do so because it takes them out of their comfort zone ... just like a lot of things in this years game (and in life)
Because it makes the game one dimensional and otherwise boring.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
It's like playing chess without your queen (queens gambit?), most people are loath to do so because it takes them out of their comfort zone ... just like a lot of things in this years game (and in life)
Heck yea, the Queen makes for great bait! This is by far my favorite opening as White ... too bad I get annihilated by an opponent who enjoys playing it as much as I do .

After seeing the two NFL Championship games last night, I have a slightly new opinion about G14. Teams who utilize supercells alot are more like the Ravens/Steelers game -- defensive strategy is key, and they'll just hold on until the end. Robots and feelings will get hurt along the way, and overall it's a very drawn-out game.

Yet teams who utilize their robots to score more with moonrocks and only a couple of supercells are more like the Cardinals/Eagles game -- more potential for awe-inspiring game-winning plays that get the crowd going.

Drive Coach, 1885 (2007-present)
Latest Project: Codex-based FRC Comms in Java

2017: Scoring Model | COPR Rank Simulator
1885: YouTube Channel | CAD Library | GitHub
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Mentor - Retired
AKA: Pap
no team
Team Role: Alumni

rick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond reputerick.oliver has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I've got this sneaking suspicion that Chris Fultz and Andy Baker designed this rule purely so they could dispose of it at IRI. Same with <G22> last year.
I think you are on to something
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:32 PM
AKA: Dave
None #2405 (Divided by Zero)

Rookie Year: 2008
pontiacdude210 is an unknown quantity at this point

In our team, this rule has been the subject of useless debate for a LONG period of time, and it boils down to having a little mercy on other players. Also, if your robot is good enough to smoke your opponent, you must have enough strategy to play without supercells.

www.cardomain.com/ride/3194966
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Bored? Never...
AKA: Jezumo a.k.a James
FRC #1386 (Trobots)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2007
jrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jrdude Send a message via MSN to jrdude Send a message via Yahoo to jrdude
Talking Re: <G14> - ya win some, ya lose some

when i saw this rule i thought "well that is not fair" and then i rethought that and said "well if your team is good and scores 10 and the other team scored 0 then you have to take something away..."

Quote:
"Math is too hard!"~Barbie Doll (1992)
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdude View Post
when i saw this rule i thought "well that is not fair" and then i rethought that and said "well if your team is good and scores 10 and the other team scored 0 then you have to take something away..."
ummm- why?

Raider Robotix- www.raiderrobotix.org
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Head of R&D and Head of Scouting
FRC #1886
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2007
Urban Hawk is infamous around these partsUrban Hawk is infamous around these partsUrban Hawk is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Re: <G14> - ya win some, ya lose some

Quote:
The assessment of the conditions under which Rule <G14> may be invoked will be determined before any penalties are assessed. This is to prevent any ALLIANCE from intentionally getting a PENALTY to impose the Rule <G14> conditions on their opponent.

Rule <G14> is assessed for every MATCH, regardless of the score.

If an ALLIANCE ends a MATCH with zero (0) points, and their opponent has any non-zero score, then the opponent has out-scored by an infinite factor. This is logically more than triple (3x) the lower score. Thus, the most strict effects off Rule <G14> will apply. Therefore, it is always to your advantage to make sure that both ALLIANCES always score at least once.

i dont think that their reasioning is very good given the fact that if you can do 0 x 3 is always 0 then you should also therefore be also able to also divide the sum you get from that by 3 to get the origonal number which with 0 is impossible. Therefore it is impossible to have a number any times higher then 0 because the outcome can't be done.

besides the whole problem that 0 x infinity is equal to 0 and therefore any number greater then 0 can't be a multiplication of 0 because the number needed to get 0 as a multiplication of the score would be undefined and therefore couldn't be done.

correct me if you think i'm wrong
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
FIRST Senior Mentor - Washington
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

I think realistically that there will never be any alliances that score zero. With the relative proximity of the human players to their targets at the beginning of autonomous AND the low acceleration from the slick wheels and surface... there should be at least 2 balls in every cart during autonomous...This is a low score of 12 points...

So realistically we are looking at something around a minimum of 6 additional balls being scored at some time and NO scoring by the poor scoring alliance before we see this G14 penalty.

It will be interesting to see what the low score will be.
Now of course, if a team does not show up... then they won't score the 2 balls so we could get a lower minimum.

I get a sneaky suspicion that members of the GDC have already played this out somewhere... looking at the relative rate of success of thrown balls and the possible scores on the field both during autonomous and teleop...and they have learned a great deal more about this than we have at this point...

Now let's all just suck it up and play the game...its just another challenge to overcome and we like challenges don't we?

If this were easy.... everyone would do it...

R
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: