Go to Post Grease, blood and cookies... it must be build season. - danshaffer [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Mars here I come
AKA: Geoff
FRC #0060 (Bionic Bulldogs)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2008
El Geffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What makes a "Powerhouse"?

Quote:
It's the attitude and drive of a team that make them a powerhouse.
I guess that's what I'm asking; how do you change the attitude of a team, who's members lack commitment and dedication?

2011 - AZ Regional Finalists with 2449 and 1165
2011 - Vegas Champions with 2984 and 987
2011 - Championships ?
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:30 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Geffe View Post
I guess that's what I'm asking; how do you change the attitude of a team, who's members lack commitment and dedication?
The dedicated members need to spread that dedication around.

You can always try this: You have 30 students to start a season.

Start with an offseason project. I don't think you guys have a T-shirt shooter yet, so that might be a good start. It'll get some interest, and teach newer members the basics of building a robot. It'll also weed out the team members that don't want to do that sort of thing--they can try other aspects (fundraising, for example). My personal guess is that you'll probably end up with about 15 "robot" students and 5 "non-robot" students who still have some idea of what's going on.

Then transition to the main robot with whoever's still around.

Oh, and the food at meetings should work, too.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree. My team hasn't had over 7 active members in the last three years. We start the off-season will almost thirty, but somehow they loose interest and we end up with a tiny but efficient team.

Any specific suggestions for keeping them hooked till build-season?
After the start of the new school year, we always attend at least two FRC offseason events, run two or three VRC teams and four or five Savage Soccer teams, in addition to any business/community outreach efforts.

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Mars here I come
AKA: Geoff
FRC #0060 (Bionic Bulldogs)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2008
El Geffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmm. Both the off-season FRC events and the off-season project sound like excellent ideas.
Do inner-team robotic competitions work out well? The FRC team is split into 2-4 smaller teams. Each team then has to build a robot to compete in a mock challenge against the others.

2011 - AZ Regional Finalists with 2449 and 1165
2011 - Vegas Champions with 2984 and 987
2011 - Championships ?
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Hey, what's in the bag?
FRC #0832
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Any specific suggestions for keeping them hooked till build-season?
Give them something interesting and useful to do.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #0228 (GUS Robotics); FRC #2170 (Titanium Tomahawks)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Shaker didn't do offseason events this fall and we didn't have nearly the level of engaged students everyone was used to.

Get them to competition early and they'll be hooked.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Lead Technical Mentor
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #2659 (RoboWarriors)

Rookie Year: 2009
rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

Powerhouses, in general, are teams that have students that are committed to spending countless hours on something until it is where they want it. These students never give up on themselves and they are always trying to learn something new. Also, students, like myself, that are so passionate and show leadership have a great influence around them. They bring up everyone to a level that surpasses what any lone individual could attain themselves.

In no way is my team a powerhouse but we're striving to compete among the top competitors and in my opinion that's a start.

"Life's about making mistakes but it's also about trying to be great."
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Maybe we won't suck in 2018
FRC #2170 (Titanium Tomahawks)

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmolloy View Post
In no way is my team a powerhouse but we're striving to compete among the top competitors and in my opinion that's a start.
It definitely is. There's a reason for the quote in my signature from JVN from a private conversation. Never stop striving to increase your inputs (resources) and your outputs (your product). Anything less really is a cop-out.

As long as your work ethic towards betterment is there, I believe any team can become a powerhouse.

Teams who I have watched within the last 3 years do these things: 973, 1323, 816, 2791, 1771 just to name a few have been constantly improving themselves.

It is also why I love Adam Heard's slogan "Outwork Us"

Its very inspiring when you see a team never quit and keep increasing their inputs and outputs.
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)

Last edited by Akash Rastogi : 02-11-2011 at 05:21 PM.
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Lead Technical Mentor
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #2659 (RoboWarriors)

Rookie Year: 2009
rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

To add to that Stogi, I have heard a similar quote from my coaches and life coaches in football and it should add to the same premise here. Here's my spin on it.

Ordinary people rarely make a difference when it comes down to something. It's the people who strive to do something unordinary and never settle with the fact that something is perfect until it is.

"Life's about making mistakes but it's also about trying to be great."
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Maybe we won't suck in 2018
FRC #2170 (Titanium Tomahawks)

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Shaker didn't do offseason events this fall and we didn't have nearly the level of engaged students everyone was used to.

Get them to competition early and they'll be hooked.
It can really be any type of competition.

Team 11 did this over the summer. http://www.pumpkinsling.com/ And it has had a very obvious impact on their 2011 craftsmanship, design abilities, and teamwork from what I have seen so far from the design team.
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: