Go to Post When FIRST teams are as numerous and as well supported as basketball teams, we will know that our culture is preparing young people to compete in the 21 st century and we are spending our 2 million minutes wisely. - N7UJJ [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 11:23 AM
no team

murdomeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Tank Drive materials?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here but I have been doing VEX for well over 9 years and going.

I am currently working on a project with FRC components that requires a tank drive due to the terrain.

At the moment, the best 'tank tread kits' available anywhere that are to out scale are the ones from VEX. However, the plastic would not last long in the terrain we are driving this on. (dirt, some rocks, tree roots, etc)

I have read this tutorial that seems fairly robust if we use metal, however, it will take too much human labor to put this together with the length of chain we have: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...acks-for-very/

We have found other alternatives with rubber belts, but they are very expensive: https://www.superdroidrobots.com/sho...nd-wheels/161/

And these other rubber belts, we are unsure if the belts will slip off the sprocket due to smooth inside design: https://www.superdroidrobots.com/sho...nd-treads/162/

Does anyone here have any suggestions for us?

Thank you very much!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 11:28 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tank Drive materials?

AndyMark Rhino Tracks. If you're using FRC components, they're where I'd start.

If you're building something smaller--VRC-scale--then there's a strong chance you'll need to build your own.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 11:31 AM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
AndyMark Rhino Tracks. If you're using FRC components, they're where I'd start.

If you're building something smaller--VRC-scale--then there's a strong chance you'll need to build your own.
Yeah we saw that as well. However, the price is abit too much.
Do you know if they just sell the tracks separately? Can't seem to find it on the site

Thanks!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 11:35 AM
FRC #6420 (Fire Island Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MuskieProgramme will become famous soon enough

http://www.andymark.com/Rhino-Track-Drive-p/am-3288.htm

...It's linked in the "Included Hardware" section
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 11:39 AM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieProgramme View Post

...It's linked in the "Included Hardware" section
Thanks, I guess i'm blind today

However, $200 per tread is still a bit over budget.

Thanks for the fast response guys!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 11:47 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen teams use something similar to the Instructable, but use metal and fill with tread. However, as noted, it's pretty labor-intensive.

Most of the custom FRC treads will use something similar to the Rhino, but maybe not with all the hardware. Conveyor belt material from McMaster+rollers (crowned or flanged so the tread won't come off)+joining material for the tread and possibly something to make sure you don't slip the tread. Add power.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to behold

Maybe someone from WARLords or 6072 can comment about the tank treads they used in 2016? Both teams had a pretty cool system (each pretty different) and they stood up well to the test of competition. That said, if you are looking for something on a different scale, Andymark does sell the Rhino treads alone here:

And the pulleys here:

http://www.andymark.com/Rhino-Track-...p/am-3298a.htm

With access to those and copy pasting numbers from and Andymark plate cad files it shouldn't be too hard to throw together your own system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 06:04 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
Maybe someone from WARLords or 6072 can comment about the tank treads they used in 2016? Both teams had a pretty cool system (each pretty different) and they stood up well to the test of competition. That said, if you are looking for something on a different scale, Andymark does sell the Rhino treads alone here:

And the pulleys here:

http://www.andymark.com/Rhino-Track-...p/am-3298a.htm

With access to those and copy pasting numbers from and Andymark plate cad files it shouldn't be too hard to throw together your own system.
Yeah the hubs are easy enough to 3D print, and even then $8 isnt too much.
Trying to recreate the rubber tread though would be quite unfeasible

Thanks for your suggestion though!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to behold

6072's system from 2016 used a ton (think 60 or 70) individual tracks that were attached together. I don't remember the specs exactly, but it doesn't seem too difficult to design a 3d printable system of interlocking tank treads that lock around one of the pulleys above. Maybe a bolt for the pieces to pivot around/connect to. Not sure the exact application of this, but it doesn't seem to be for a FRC robot. That means a 3d printed system could be implemented with smart design and good understanding of the obstacles or whatever your treads are trying to drive around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdomeek View Post
Yeah the hubs are easy enough to 3D print, and even then $8 isnt too much.
Trying to recreate the rubber tread though would be quite unfeasible

Thanks for your suggestion though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 07:27 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for something durable, perhaps K-1 links for #35 chain would do the trick? Essentially you would build your drive base as a chain run (like your picture) and then attach whatever traction material you want to the K-1 links. If you go this route I would recommend using two rows of chain per side so it's better supported.

We used these in 2015 for a tote conveyor, and they held up well.

Last edited by cbale2000 : 07-04-2017 at 07:29 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2017, 07:41 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Ari423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'd be very interested in TankChain. I know MORT (FRC 11) and other teams used it in 2016 to apparent success, so you can probably contact them if you have questions about what positives and negatives they found.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2017, 07:24 AM
AKA: Matt
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
messer5740 is on a distinguished road

The FTC team Brainstem (not sure the number) used 3D printed tank treads in 2016 ResQ. I don't have the CAD files, but it can be done. You'll have to outsource the files and get them printed with heavy duty filament to go over the terrain you want to navigate, unless you have an expensive high-end printer on hand and the filament.
you can also use modified polycord from McMaster Carr.

I would suggest just purchasing from AndyMark though, because trends are just a pain to fabricate if you have no prior knowledge of how to build them, a low budget, and no access to high end fabrication tools.

A good driver is always better than a good robot.

2015: Winner of the Rookie Inspiration Award
2016: Quarterfinalists at Greater Pittsburgh Regional and Buckeye Regional
2017: Dean's List Finalist
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2017, 08:28 AM
FRC #1768

FrisbeeFunTime is on a distinguished road

This stuff may work for you.
http://www.andymark.com/category-s/555.htm

Also if you have pneumatic wheels you can do everything you said this chassis was going to drive over except for potentially cheaper. A website called surpluscenter.com has many options for wheels, adding hubs to them may be a little weird and may take so work.

Last edited by FrisbeeFunTime : 07-05-2017 at 08:34 AM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2017, 11:42 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeFunTime View Post
This stuff may work for you.
http://www.andymark.com/category-s/555.htm
I'd take the McMaster option myself on cost. Even the 6" wide isn't all that much extra there. You can also custom-cut that--admittedly you'll be doing that yourself so you'll need to be careful to cut straight--but it's actually pretty handy to get two belts worth with one purchase.

The thing about tank tracks is that typical wheel widths (1") likely aren't going to be wide enough; they'll dig in a little bit. Maybe for a VRC-scale robot, sure, but for FRC, I think the narrowest I've seen is in the 2" range, like the Rhino; 2" to 3" is actually pretty common in FRC (at least among the teams that use tank tracks...)

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-08-2017, 09:38 AM
FRC #0885 (Bruce Force Trauma)

SpruceyBrucey is an unknown quantity at this point

Our team made custom tracks for the 2016 season, they took some work and searching for supplies though. It was one piece of blue nitrite sticking up then the next down so one work give traction and the other drive the wheel. Then we just had a wheel with blue nitrite driving it with friction.

Here's a picture of the early stages of our off season bot with our second track design: http://imgur.com/lNIL3gH

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: