OCCRA
Go to Post I sure hope kickoff comes soon. Otherwise, you're all getting sent for therapy ;) - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:39 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
pic: 2-Speed Flipped CIM Gearbox

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #2386 (Trojans)
Team Role: Alumni

cad321 is just really nicecad321 is just really nicecad321 is just really nicecad321 is just really nicecad321 is just really nice
Re: pic: 2-Speed Flipped CIM Gearbox

I really like the design of this; it's unfortunate you couldn't keep it down to 2 stages, but in return for the packaging , it all works out. A few questions.

One, what size wheel is this designed to be run with?

Two, is that gear ratio adjusted or free speed.

And finally, why a dog shifter over ball shifter (note i'd be asking the other way around if you had chosen ball shifter, just curious)?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:56 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Without seeing this on a chassis with bumpers it's really hard to tell, but my initial concern is how far that cylinder protrudes past the wheel.

I feel like a better option would be to connect the cylinder using some sort of armature and mounting the cylinder inside the gearbox, pushing out. Alternatively, it also looks like you could also reverse some of the gear orientations and mount the cylinder on the inside of the frame.

True you would protrude into the frame area more with the later of those two options, but it looks like in the current configuration your bumpers would have to extend out to protect the cylinder anyways, so you'd either have a large wasted space past the wheels or a small wasted space inside the frame.

I suppose I might just be stuck in the "old school" line of thinking from back before bumpers were a thing and no one dared to extend anything fragile (and in this case, important) past the frame perimeter, so take the above critique with a grain of salt.

Last edited by cbale2000 : 11-14-2017 at 10:00 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 10:07 AM
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad321 View Post
I really like the design of this; it's unfortunate you couldn't keep it down to 2 stages, but in return for the packaging , it all works out. A few questions.

One, what size wheel is this designed to be run with?

Two, is that gear ratio adjusted or free speed.

And finally, why a dog shifter over ball shifter (note i'd be asking the other way around if you had chosen ball shifter, just curious)?
It's designed to use a 4" wheel. That is the adjusted gear ratio, though I'm not so set on that final ratio. It's super easy to change the final ratio by changing the 3rd gear set. Dog shifter because it packaged better in this application (all 3 gears between the bearings instead of just the shifter gears between and the third cantilevered).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
Without seeing this on a chassis with bumpers it's really hard to tell, but my initial concern is how far that cylinder protrudes past the wheel.

I feel like a better option would be to connect the cylinder using some sort of armature and mounting the cylinder inside the gearbox, pushing out. Alternatively, it also looks like you could also reverse some of the gear orientations and mount the cylinder on the inside of the frame.

True you would protrude into the frame area more with the later of those two options, but it looks like in the current configuration your bumpers would have to extend out to protect the cylinder anyways, so you'd either have a large wasted space past the wheels or a small wasted space inside the frame.
According to the CAD model, the back of the pancake cylinder is ~0.03" inside of the end of the colson retaining screw, so the bumpers shouldn't need to move out substantially. To achieve that, I had to substitute the spacers that come with the hardware kit with custom spacers, and use a custom shifting shaft. I know it's still close, but the bumper should help protect it, and I really wanted to keep the cylinder on the outside for space reasons (that was kind of the main requirement for designing this).
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Registered Muser
FRC #4462 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute

Did you fillet the corners of the plates? Those renders look REALLY good.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 08:42 AM
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothron Theiss View Post
Did you fillet the corners of the plates? Those renders look REALLY good.
Thanks! Right before I started rendering I put a 0.5mm chamfer on basically every edge of the custom aluminum parts. I found that helps reflect the light to define the edges in the renders so you can see where one part ends and the other begins even when they’re mated coincident with the same appearance. Each of the renders (except for the gif) took less than 20 mins on my laptop.
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Registered Muser
FRC #4462 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
Thanks! Right before I started rendering I put a 0.5mm chamfer on basically every edge of the custom aluminum parts. I found that helps reflect the light to define the edges in the renders so you can see where one part ends and the other begins even when they’re mated coincident with the same appearance. Each of the renders (except for the gif) took less than 20 mins on my laptop.
I'll have to remember that, thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: