OCCRA
Go to Post Blasphemy! Everyone knows Mountain Dew is roboteer fuel. - Racer26 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
JuliaGreen has much to be proud ofJuliaGreen has much to be proud ofJuliaGreen has much to be proud ofJuliaGreen has much to be proud ofJuliaGreen has much to be proud ofJuliaGreen has much to be proud ofJuliaGreen has much to be proud ofJuliaGreen has much to be proud ofJuliaGreen has much to be proud of
Re: 2012 Lessons Learned:The Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknthehawk View Post
Is this not standard? I know we picked up our Chairman's feedback from pit admin after awards were over. (At GSR). It is hugely helpful, pointing out our strengths, and the one thing we didn't touch on. We won EI and will push harder for RCA next year
We got feedback at our district event, but did not get feedback at the regional (Michigan State Champs) or CMP. We asked about feedback at the regional event but were told that the winning teams did not get feedback, because they won.

There's always room for improvement, even if you win.

Julia
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaGreen View Post
We got feedback at our district event, but did not get feedback at the regional (Michigan State Champs) or CMP. We asked about feedback at the regional event but were told that the winning teams did not get feedback, because they won.

There's always room for improvement, even if you win.

Julia
I know that we did get to receive ours last year when we won at Midwest. Weird.
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

I hope next year more field testing occurs before week 1 regionals. Our home regional of the Granite State Regional is week 1 and we were burned by balls stuck under the bridges and missed a lot of balances week 1 because we couldn't get the bridge down. Week 2 the panel was flipped and when we competed week 5 we had zero issues with balls under bridges. I thought the issue would have been fixed after our scrimmage that FIRST hosted but alas it was not. Not the end of the world but I don't know why they weren't steeper to begin with.

2. I agree with what people have said about the practice field at CMP. Even though I didn't attend this year it has been an issue in the past. 2011 especially with teams either testing auto, minibot, or scoring which was ineffective with a variety of testing on a field. I think it should be organized as follows: 2 full fields for wireless testing only. 2-4 large carpeted areas with several hoops and a lot of bridges. Maybe they could put these in two of the corners/along the back walls so it is out of the way. This would maximize practice as teams who want to run their robot to get more driver practice go to the field, teams who want to tune auto/their shooter and test balancing go to the carpeted areas.

3. Q&A needs to be much faster.

4. A little more clarification on bumpers rules and we are golden. "Exterior vertices" and the bumper numbers were vague to some teams.

5. Real time penalties is great, but having the emcee announce them after the match would be nice. I'm sure many team who didn't fully comprehend the rules didn't know they were committing them. It is nice that the match cycle is faster and specified unarguable rules are in place for silly items but if a team doesn't know they are committing something how will they get better?

As for the ball consistency this year, I know it sucks to have an inconsistency among balls, but when a company is mass producing a foam play ball they will vary and there is nothing we can do about it. Unless we want to pay double because they have to be tested. While annoying we took this into consideration with our robot so brand new or used, it still suck in from the key.

Overall, great season!

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM
CAD Leader
AKA: AK-Fo'7
FRC #1507 (The WARLOCKS)

Rookie Year: 2004
Solidstate89 has a spectacular aura aboutSolidstate89 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
As for the ball consistency this year, I know it sucks to have an inconsistency among balls, but when a company is mass producing a foam play ball they will vary and there is nothing we can do about it. Unless we want to pay double because they have to be tested. While annoying we took this into consideration with our robot so brand new or used, it still suck in from the key.
Our loader mechanism admittedly had some issues here and there with the new balls (something we just decided we had to deal with) compared to those that were used, but my problem (and also one raised by a couple others) is the fact that the balls they used in the Championships vs. at least the two regionals we attended were completely different. They weren't just new, they were a different batch entirely.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidstate89 View Post
Our loader mechanism admittedly had some issues here and there with the new balls (something we just decided we had to deal with) compared to those that were used, but my problem (and also one raised by a couple others) is the fact that the balls they used in the Championships vs. at least the two regionals we attended were completely different. They weren't just new, they were a different batch entirely.
Either you could have played with used regional balls (believe me in week 5 they didn't have too much life left in them) or new balls? I think the choice is pretty clear with the championship event playing 150 matches on 4 fields.

Having worked in retail, manufacturers don't make a product constantly (unless it is an extremely popular item such as food or major electronics) manufacturers make items in batches of xxxx (say 2000 cases) so distributors can sell them to stores/retail chains to sell over time before a new batch is made. Right now we are placing an order for camping coolers for the summer and won't be able to get them again until next year. Something similar happened in 2009 when FIRST ordered the last of the manufacturers batch to cover what they needed but another batch wasn't going to be made for a while. FIRST probably had to make several large purchases over time which was divided up among regional fields, Andymark, and the KOP.

I agree with everyone that it would have been nice to have the exact same ball but it just isn't possible with how economics work.

/endbunnytrail

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:44 PM
foote stepped in
AKA: E. Foote
FRC #0868

Rookie Year: 2005
efoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure people can see the field regardless of where they are in the stands.
On Galileo, this meant pushing the field away from the stands by about 10-15 feet. When people in front stood up, the field was covered. When they sat down, only the co-op bridge and beyond could be seen.

Open up the upper levels and have more seating available throughout the ENTIRE competition.

Allow more entrances to the Edward Jones Dome. Put them on opposite ends of the building.

Please explain intent in the rule books, especially on chains of rules. Just like you don't like us lawyering your rules, we don't like reading your minds only to find that we got it wrong.
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:45 PM
<3
AKA: Princess Leia
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
torihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to torihoelscher

Alli, my sister mentioned (this year being her official freshman year) that the negative things she experienced was:

1) Teams not showing the values of FIRST during the competition.
2) Communication issues on the fields.

My own negatives are:

1) Not getting feedback from the Chairmans judges.
2) Teams rushing inside pretty much taking myself and my grandparents out while rushing for seating. I was not happy about people pretty much running us over.
3) The seating of Einstein and the opening Ceremonies.
4) Cannot see Einstein on either left or right in the stands
5) Could not see any of the matches from the Pits.
6) The smoking area. (Im sorry, I am allergic to smoke)
7) Teams not being Gracious to each other and to other people.

These are all minor things, I loved the closing ceremonies and the Finale!

I LOVE FIRST WITH ALL MY <3
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Joony13
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2010
Joon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud of

I agree with:

The Einstein seating hassle. That was kind of ridiculous. If they had opened up the upper levels beforehand, as they should've been able to easily predict their necessity, perhaps all that walking up and down and around the dome wouldn't have happened for our team.

The FMS problems. I don't think I need to add much else to that.

Also, one thing that our veteran members really missed was the Glossary in the rules. The manual in general was smaller this year, and while being succinct is great, the lack of definitions really brought up too much ambiguity.

I asked Bill Miller and some GDC members at FRC Live! during Champs, and Bill's justification was that they made the rules shorter so that teams who don't read them actually would. I did not agree with that method. Don't get me wrong, I approve of shorter rules as long as they are clear and specific. But the reason they provided did not bode well for me. Teams should read the rules, 5 pages or 500 pages, and those who don't should take what comes to them because of it.

One of the GDC members also stated that the glossary was removed in fear of creating a rule within the definition. I don't agree with that answer either. I believe the usefulness of the glossary outweighs that issue. I believe the usefulness of the glossary outweighs a lot of things. In short, we'd really like the glossary back.
2013 Buckeye Regional Winner
2013 Buckeye Spirit Award
2013 FLR Spirit Award
2012 Newton Division Finalist
2012 FLR Semi-Finalist, Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 DC Quarter-Finalist, Industrial Design Award
2011 FLR Quarter-Finalist
2011 Boston Quarter-Finalist, Imagery Award
2010 FLR Quarter-Finalist, Innovation in Control Award
2010 Philladelphia Semi-Finalist, Gracious Professionalism Award
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
the Dreamer
AKA: Alex
FRC #4334 (Alberta Tech Alliance)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
lemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond reputelemiant has a reputation beyond repute

Kill the speeches on Einstein. After we won our division I sent the webcast link to a bunch of people and along with the field issues the sheer number of speeches made it remarkably uninteresting. If you want to make it consumable to a larger audience it has to be interesting. I recommend a separate awards ceremony and far fewer speeches.

Last edited by lemiant : 05-02-2012 at 09:19 PM.
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Mentor
FRC #3081 (RoBoEaGleS)

Rookie Year: 2011
Camren is a glorious beacon of lightCamren is a glorious beacon of lightCamren is a glorious beacon of lightCamren is a glorious beacon of lightCamren is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeelandS View Post

I, personally, would like to see FIRST stray away from games where game piece deterioration isn't such a huge factor, but I know what pretty much impossible. But I can wish.

Those are pretty much my gripes. Nothing too extreme. Just some logistical stuff.
Funny thing about that suggestion. Team 3081 roboeagles seemed to be one of the few who considered that variable which is why we went with a catapult design.
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
The Coop award made no sense at all. I bet there was nobody at most regionals that could even explain how it was determined.
It's the "At Least You Found Your Way to the Field. Here's a Medal" Award.
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:18 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiant View Post
Kill the speeches on Einstein. After we won our division I sent the webcast link to a bunch of people and along with the field issues the sheer number of speeches made it remarkably uninteresting. If you want to make it consumable to a larger audience tit has to be interesting. I recommend a separate awards ceremony and far fewer speeches.
That's a common complaint every year -- and I couldn't agree more. I have no idea how a group of geniuses intent on making STEM exciting for the masses so consistently make the final championship games so painfully boring!

(That is to say, the matches themselves are generally great, but the speeches are so numerous and so long that the overall Einstein spectator experience is downright tedious.)
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Joony13
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2010
Joon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud ofJoon Park has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camren View Post
Funny thing about that suggestion. Team 3081 roboeagles seemed to be one of the few who considered that variable which is why we went with a catapult design.
Actually, from what I gathered at regionals/champs, quite a few teams considered the variable. It's just that very few teams actually built to account for it.

I know I was skeptical during week 1 about the ball deterioration being a huge factor, I was proven dead wrong during shooter testing. We then spent the rest of the season, right up until the championship, trying to build a ball compression tester that would account for that. We never got it to work.
2013 Buckeye Regional Winner
2013 Buckeye Spirit Award
2013 FLR Spirit Award
2012 Newton Division Finalist
2012 FLR Semi-Finalist, Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 DC Quarter-Finalist, Industrial Design Award
2011 FLR Quarter-Finalist
2011 Boston Quarter-Finalist, Imagery Award
2010 FLR Quarter-Finalist, Innovation in Control Award
2010 Philladelphia Semi-Finalist, Gracious Professionalism Award
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camren View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. In our early testing we discovered the variability would be a huge problem. That's why we went with our fling-a-pult and it was never a problem for us.

#90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

The field sketches need to be more similar to the field with parts of the field that robots react off of, or at least include some optional sketches that are closer to the actual field. So many teams couldn't lower the bridge at the start of the season and had a shooter designed for the backboard in the sketches and then missed shots that went too hard off of the backboard on the actual field.
2016 Curie Champions
2016 New York City Champions
2016 New York City Engineering Inspiration
2015 New York City Finalists
2013 New York City Champions
2012 Connecticut Chairman's
2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's

2010 New York City Champions
2008 New York City Engineering Inspiration
2007 New York City Finalists
2006 New York City Finalists