OCCRA
Go to Post In my opinion, FIRST is better than a sport. - s_forbes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:02 PM
FRC #4905 (Andromeda One)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
wjd13 is on a distinguished road
Twitch Stream

Hello CD

I know there's been a bit of discussion about the pros and cons of streaming kickoff on Twitch this year. But I have a couple of questions.

1. Twitch is always highlighting community members/events on their front page. To my knowledge, no FRC event has ever made the front page. Does anyone know if Twitch plans on highlighting Kickoff? Wouldn't that be a good opportunity to introduce a huge audience to FIRST?

2. Streams on Twitch can be tracked by their number of viewers. To make the front page by default, it takes about 10,000 viewers. Think we can make it happen?

Hype levels are reaching critical levels...
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:09 PM
R I P Georgia Dome
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Twitch Stream

Last year the FIRST World Championship was on the front page of twitch.

Libby Kamen knows a lot more about the ins and outs of twitch than I would bet most of the community does. Now I haven't read the other thread, but I bet she could share more about the pros and cons.
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain

Last edited by JohnFogarty : 01-04-2017 at 10:38 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:11 PM
FRC #4905 (Andromeda One)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
wjd13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFogarty View Post
Last year the FIRST World Championship was on the front page of twitch.

Libby Kamen knows a lot more about the ins and outs of twitch than I would bet most of the community does I haven't read the other thread but I bet she could share more about the pros and cons.
Alright, thanks
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:19 PM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)

Rookie Year: 2016
tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjd13 View Post
Hello CD

I know there's been a bit of discussion about the pros and cons of streaming kickoff on Twitch this year. But I have a couple of questions.

1. Twitch is always highlighting community members/events on their front page. To my knowledge, no FRC event has ever made the front page. Does anyone know if Twitch plans on highlighting Kickoff? Wouldn't that be a good opportunity to introduce a huge audience to FIRST?

2. Streams on Twitch can be tracked by their number of viewers. To make the front page by default, it takes about 10,000 viewers. Think we can make it happen?

Hype levels are reaching critical levels...
I'm pretty sure that Einsteins made front page of Twitch during 2016 CMP, but I might be wrong. EDIT: Down below, Francis of RSN confirms what I thought I remembered.

In response to your second question, front-page streams can be manually pinned by Twitch Staff should they deem the cause good enough. One example in recent memory was Zeldathon on SuperMCGamer's page, holding front-page admist 10k+ streams with 4-7k viewers, as they were fundraising for St. Jude.

It's entirely possible FRC hits critical mass and gets to front-page, but we'll need some significant polish or a blessing from our OhMyDog overlords. Here's hoping that Twitch has FRC alum. (They do, see below for confirmation.)

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumnus | 1228 (2017-Present) - I do stuff
KD2KRT
Papers: Encyclopedia Robotica v2 | An FRC Anthology

Last edited by tjf : 01-04-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Thanks francis, updating info
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Always a MidKnight Inventor.
AKA: Libby Kamen Drost
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjd13 View Post

I've been summoned!

Of note: FIRST was on the front page when GameSense was doing FIRSTChampLive. FIRST and Twitch are working together on bringing the audiences together, and Twitch is also working with the individual community shows (Robo Sports Network, FIRST Updates Now, etc).

They have been introduced & are well acquainted - it's some of why Kickoff has moved to Twitch! I'm sure the folks behind the shows can say more on their end, if they'd like. I'm just speaking from the level I know.

To your second point, I think what might do us in is that while each Kickoff location has hundreds or thousands of people, that's still only one Twitch 'view' - the computer it's being played from.

I would hope that FIRST is in the hopper for front-page for this weekend. It'd be great to bring more eyes!

In the same vein, though, I hope HQ is ready with moderation and anti-spam tools in chat. I'd hate for a big-name toxic streamer to go and bother our stream and make the Twitch chat a less than gracious place (as twitch-chat can sometimes be.)

TL;DR STEAMWORKS OR RITO SMOrc
2010-Present: Proud Alumni, Mentor & Drive Coach.
2015 Woodie Flowers Finalist Award.
2017-Present: Robotics Advisor, West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District

-
229: Division By Zero / 4124: Integration by Parts
2010-2013: Clarkson University Mentor for FLL, FTC & FRC

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | libby.kamen@wwprsd.org
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Lifer
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)

Rookie Year: 2003
Francis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, FRC has been on the front page of Twitch. RSN and FIRST worked with Twitch last year to put the FIRSTChampLIVE broadcast especially divisional playoffs and Einstein on the front page. We also got it on the front page this year during Chezy Champs.

And Twitch has TONS of FRC alumni, including our man Zach who's been working with many folks getting Twitch more involved with FIRST.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
Snapchat

A proud alumnus of teams 134 and 40 || Mentor of Team 190 || WPI Manager of Robotics Initiatives
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:43 PM
The Blue Alliance
FRC #0604 (Quixilver)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Eugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps off topic, but does it seem like the countdown on the stream is counting down to 11AM Eastern (instead of 10 or 10:30)?

https://www.twitch.tv/firstinspires

Various FLL Teams - Student (2000-2006), Mentor (2007-2010)
FRC Team 604 - Student (2007-2010), Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-Present)
FRC Team 1323 - Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-2014)

The Blue Alliance | TBA GameDay | TBA Android App | TBA Blog | TBA Swag
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:45 PM

tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Fang View Post
Perhaps off topic, but does it seem like the countdown on the stream is counting down to 11AM Eastern (instead of 10 or 10:30)?

https://www.twitch.tv/firstinspires
Just did some quick back-of-computer math, it checks out. Either they forgot daylights savings time, or they are counting down to manual code release, just to venture a guess.

1257 (2016) - Student
KD2KRT

Last edited by tjf : 01-04-2017 at 10:47 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 10:53 PM
The Blue Alliance
FRC #0604 (Quixilver)

Eugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post
Just did some quick back-of-computer math, it checks out. Either they forgot daylights savings time, or they are counting down to manual code release, just to venture a guess.
It's also interesting because the seconds don't add up to 60 either.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Fang View Post
It's also interesting because the seconds don't add up to 60 either.
Twitch can have a 20-40 second delay depending on quality options and a number of other factors. Click the gear and open Debug to see more advanced frame stats.

1257 (2016) - Student
KD2KRT
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Strategy/Scouting Mentor
AKA: Edwin Xu
FRC #4476 (W.A.F.F.L.E.S Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
Edxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant future

If only we had enough viewership to get custom emotes...

KappaKamen

2013-2016: Team 610, Student/Strategy Lead
2017-????: Team 4476, Scouting/Strategy Mentor
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 11:42 PM
The Blue Alliance
FRC #0604 (Quixilver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post
Twitch can have a 20-40 second delay depending on quality options and a number of other factors. Click the gear and open Debug to see more advanced frame stats.
I'm not using my clock, I'm using the current time and countdown times on the stream.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 11:50 PM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
no team (Volunteer, 1836 Alum, and extreme instigator)

Rookie Year: 2009
jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute

A pro to Twitch is that I can reliably embed it on my team's website prior to the day of. We can send members directly to our website which they are familiar with and know that they will find their way.
Dean's List Finalist // The Blue Alliance developer // Los Angeles FLL VOY 2017 // CPP 2022 // *53 FIRST Events and Counting! (16,874 miles) * // Team 1836: The MilkenKnights Class of 2018

―――
FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES // Admin of: FB's FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK // How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Lifer
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)

Francis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edxu View Post
If only we had enough viewership to get custom emotes...

KappaKamen

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
Snapchat

A proud alumnus of teams 134 and 40 || Mentor of Team 190 || WPI Manager of Robotics Initiatives
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2017, 12:31 AM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

My only question: Will HYPERLUL be enabled?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: