OCCRA
Go to Post She must have known that if she declined the invitation to form an alliance that no one else would be allowed to pick her. (But of course, as any happy husband knows... the wife is always the #1 seed!) - dtengineering [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 03:59 PM
FRC #5401 (The Fightin' Robotic Owls)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
vmorgs is an unknown quantity at this point
Tracking Attendance

My team has a build season attendance requirement...meaning you must attend a set number of build season meetings if you expect to make certain "game day" teams like Pit Team or Drive Team OR of if you except to get excused absences from school for competitions. We also just track attendance at our weekly off-season meetings for safety reasons...so we know who's in or out of the lab/shop at any given time in the event of an emergency or building evacuation.

Our currently method of tracking attendance is a sign in book with paper sign in sheets, but it's a PAIN to manage. After each meeting, someone has to take the book and log the attendance in our team database. So I was wondering--how do other teams track meeting attendance? Do you guys use off the shelf time-clock/attendance software or do you use something in Excel or Access? Any tips or suggestions on how to better track our team's attendance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 04:04 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tracking Attendance

We print out a grid that includes the students in each area (mechanical, programming, electrical, business). At the end of each meeting, mentors for those areas go through and mark down how long each person was there. Once a week or so we transfer that into a google sheet that is set up the same way. Add some formulas to the sheet and you're all set!
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Trying my best, I swear.
AKA: Aidan
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics), #4159 (CardinalBotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
Leap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond repute

Having something set up in the back of the classroom/lab where signing in is as easy as a 6-digit number has been the most efficient for our team. I believe some students on our team a while back developed the program themselves for sign-in. At the beginning of the year, the database is wiped clean, so no users or any info is stored. From the first meeting of the year onward, students put in their student ID numbers and name, creating a new user account on the system. Every time afterwards, entering the number acts as a "punch" in or out, and the system measures the time between.

The information all gets logged in the program, but about bi-weekly someone needs to take the information and manually update our team roster with it. It's been great for measuring time spent at the workshop but a lot still needs to be done by hand.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Brian Maher Fan Club (BMFC) founder
AKA: Karan Yadav
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
KaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond repute

We have an online google forms sign-in and sign-out sheet. During the initial meetings and parent meeting in October, students are encouraged to sign up for the hours list. Its accessible to everyone, so students can use their phones to log in hours during meetings.

Our secretary than compiles the hours and posts weekly hours on the door of our main robotics room on an excel spreadsheet. Names highlighted in green are people who so far in the season have met the hours requirement, those in yellow have enough hours to attend our local competition, and those in red don't have enough hours to attend any competitions.

2018: Central New York Winners, TVR Finalists, Detroit World Championship Darwin Quarterfinalists, IRI Invite
2017: TVR Winners, NYC Semifinalists, St. Louis World Championship Curie Quarterfinalists, IRI Invite, Ra Cha Cha Ruckus Quarterfinalists, Robot Rumble Winners
2016: TVR Semifinalists, FLR Semifinalists, Robot Rumble Winners, BattleCry Winners
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

also check out this thread

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...ight=time+card

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranY View Post
We have an online google forms sign-in and sign-out sheet. During the initial meetings and parent meeting in October, students are encouraged to sign up for the hours list. Its accessible to everyone, so students can use their phones to log in hours during meetings.
Interesting. Do you know how you set this up in Google Forms? We use Google Sheets to house our team database so this would work perfectly with that.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 05:03 PM
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2010
legoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to all

I have been working on a all encompassing portal for my team 2363, Triple Helix. The main part is hours tracking, but we have integrating annual registration and tracking of payment of dues, STIMS/TIMS registration, paperwork...., Tracking event registration to the point of tracking who can drive to events, who goes in which car, hotel rooms.... I have integrated Slack for notifications and am working on email as well. I am in the process of making a demo site for people to view, here is the url https://portal-demo.team2363.org. There isn't any data yet but i plan to populate with fake data.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoguy1000 View Post
I have been working on a all encompassing portal for my team 2363, Triple Helix. The main part is hours tracking, but we have integrating annual registration and tracking of payment of dues, STIMS/TIMS registration, paperwork...., Tracking event registration to the point of tracking who can drive to events, who goes in which car, hotel rooms.... I have integrated Slack for notifications and am working on email as well. I am in the process of making a demo site for people to view, here is the url https://portal-demo.team2363.org. There isn't any data yet but i plan to populate with fake data.
That is AMAZIMG! How are you building it?! With what software?! I love it!!!

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 05:44 PM
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

legoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmorgs View Post
That is AMAZIMG! How are you building it?! With what software?! I love it!!!
Its AngularJs on the front end and PHP (slimphp, Eloquent) API on the back end. Here is my GitHub https://github.com/legoguy1000/FRC-Portal. I'm working on getting data into it now so people can see the interior.

User creds are below
student:
email: martink@sbcglobal.net
pass:user

admin:
email: admin@example.com
pass: admin
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 09:01 PM
FRC #3196 (Team SPORK)
Team Role: Mechanical

Pooja Anil is on a distinguished road

A student on the team created this really cool system using old hotel cards (RFID I think but I'm kinda lost on how it works. There's an Arduino somewhere in there). All students and mentors have a card, so as soon as they walk into the shop, they hold it up to this sensor and it checks us in. Same when checking out. And then our team captain walks around and usually fills out her own spreadsheet for attendance. Between the two of those, we have a good attendance system.

To attend competitions, you need to have attended at least 50% of subteam meetings which you are a part of. And you have to be on both an engineering subteam (Mechanical, Electrical, and Programming) and an operations subteam (Marketing/Outreach, Awards, and finance).

"I'm Not Crazy, My Reality Is Just Different From Yours"- Cheshire Cat

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 09:16 PM
4130 Team Captain
AKA: Nick
FRC #4130 (The Blue Devils)
Team Role: Human Player

Rookie Year: 2012
nick4130 will become famous soon enough

We have a system that our programming captain created in Python. Each student makes an account with their initials, which then makes a .csv for each student. From there, every time they type in their initials it logged the time that was on the computer for in and out. When the .csv was opened in excel, there was a formula he created to give us a total number of hours, as in our bylaws we judge based on percentage of hours attended compared to hours possible.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Brian Maher Fan Club (BMFC) founder
AKA: Karan Yadav
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
KaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmorgs View Post
Interesting. Do you know how you set this up in Google Forms? We use Google Sheets to house our team database so this would work perfectly with that.
The data goes directly from the forms to a google sheets spreadsheet. Our secretary than manages it and manually updates hours online.

2018: Central New York Winners, TVR Finalists, Detroit World Championship Darwin Quarterfinalists, IRI Invite
2017: TVR Winners, NYC Semifinalists, St. Louis World Championship Curie Quarterfinalists, IRI Invite, Ra Cha Cha Ruckus Quarterfinalists, Robot Rumble Winners
2016: TVR Semifinalists, FLR Semifinalists, Robot Rumble Winners, BattleCry Winners
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2018, 11:38 AM
AKA: Tyler Carter
FRC #3128 (Aluminum Narwhals)

Rookie Year: 2009
tylerc102 is on a distinguished road

Weve used a student programmed solution for awhile, but frankly it was hard to maintain and access reliably.

Now were gonna buy an industrial solution. Its not the price point a lot of teams can afford, but we believe its a small price to pay for reliability and whatnot. https://crownsecurityproducts.com/ti...ime-clock.html
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 02:29 PM
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Right now it pulls users from a google sheet/form that all students/mentors are required to fill out each year. This counts as their annual registration and imports any new students into the system.

User creds for demo are below
student:
email: martink@sbcglobal.net
pass:user

admin:
email: admin@example.com
pass: admin
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

We have a sign in sheet for meetings and for after hours (that has to be signed off by a mentor that the student was actually productive during their time at the site and not playing around on the computer or something). The hours are tallied up at the end of the build season and recorded on the Star Chart with other factors to determine if the student qualifies for travel to events.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: