Go to Post You could mount a small Black Hole on the top of your bot, and park it in front of the center goal - that would work...just keep your human player away from the event horizon. - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2004, 09:23 PM
FRC #1164 (Project Neo)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
lasindi is an unknown quantity at this point
IFI Loader Problems

We are having troubles with loading HEX files. When I try to open one that I've compiled, I get an error message that comes up that says, "Run-time error '76': Path not found." I've heard that the directory address of the HEX file cannot exceed a certain number of characters. I moved it to a folder directly on the hard drive and I still get these errors. I'm not sure if the connection has anything to with "path" errors, but we are using a USB-to-serial adapter because the laptop that we're using doesn't have any serial ports. We tried to see if we could open a connection with the robot using a different program and it worked. The loader, however, says that it is "Not Connected". Does anyone know how to solve this?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2004, 05:10 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Electrical Engineer
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
Mike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IFI Loader Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasindi
We tried to see if we could open a connection with the robot using a different program and it worked. The loader, however, says that it is "Not Connected". Does anyone know how to solve this?
We use the Bafo USB to serial converter suggested by Dr. Johnson (do a search on "Bafo") and have had no problems with any PC connecting to last year's or this year's controller.

One thing to check is which COM port your USB converter is connected to (it can be different each time it is unplugged/plugged into the USB, depending on other things being used in your system.

As far as the path not found statement, I don't have a clue. I'd try reinstalling the USB driver as I am not sure if the IFI loader is generating the message...

Good luck.

Alumnus, Team 3518, Panthrobots, 2011
Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010
LRI, Connecticut Regional, 2007-2010
LRI, WPI Regional, 2009 - 2010
RI, South Florida Regional, 2012 - 2013

As easy as 355/113...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Norm Hurst
AKA: gnorm
#0381 (The Tornadoes)
Team Role: Programmer

gnormhurst will become famous soon enoughgnormhurst will become famous soon enough

That error sounds familiar. I got it just last night after installing all the tools on a new laptop. Windows 2K SP4. It was an "Argh" moment.

I'm not sure what I did to solve it. I think my solution was to uninstall (using control panel/AddRemove Programs) and reinstall IFI loader. I think I chose to install version 1.0.6 instead of 1.0.7, just to see if that made a difference. Things worked well after that -- I don't know what exactly fixed it.

Hope that helps.

-Norm
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross

I think I might have seen this message when my .hex file was located too deep in the directory tree. (i.e. the file path was more than 64 characters.) If this might be your problem, you could try moving your project directory closer to the root.
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Programming User
FRC #1317 (Digital Fusion)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

Some suggestions:
1. Try recompiling the file and moving it to the root of the drive.
2. Reinstall the software, it's kind of tempermental.
3. Find a computer with a 9-pin serial port. I don't see why this would cause a path error, but you never know. Might be a badly written error message.

Hope you get it working!

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2004, 07:46 PM
~~The One and Only!~~
AKA: Kris
#0279 (Tech Fusion)

nevrgonastopme0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nevrgonastopme0 Send a message via Yahoo to nevrgonastopme0

yeah, we had this problem too, I also dont remember what we did to fix it, but I think I uninstalled it, moved the code to a folder right on the root drive *C:\* and set up the output in the build options to go to that folder. it worked, I might have done something else too that i dont remember, but after i did that, it wouldnt find the COM port.... I know for a FACT that the problem your having dosent have anything to do with the COM settings, it can occur later, but thats not the case right now, its something with the compilleing...also make sure your saying build-all not just make, dont know if that would change it, but it never hurts to try...

Kris

Last edited by nevrgonastopme0 : 02-04-2004 at 07:48 PM. Reason: had to fix stupid smily thing...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Electrical Engineer
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
Mike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrgonastopme0
I know for a FACT that the problem your having dosent have anything to do with the COM settings,
Kris,

It sounded like a two problem problem. Lasindi indicted "no connection" AND the path error. The two may be independent...

Regards,

Alumnus, Team 3518, Panthrobots, 2011
Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010
LRI, Connecticut Regional, 2007-2010
LRI, WPI Regional, 2009 - 2010
RI, South Florida Regional, 2012 - 2013

As easy as 355/113...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: