OCCRA
Go to Post One button, ten copyrights, you do the math. - StephLee [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 04:47 PM
The Freshman
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
BHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant future
What are your highlights of the build season so far?

Obviously, the FIRST Competition isn't all about robots. It's actually got a lot to do with making new friends and just having a great time with your team (Or even enjoying a few funny moments). So, I was just wondering if anyone here would like to share some experiences (Good or bad, overly serious or extremely hysterical) that your team has encountered during this year's build season.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
AKA: Jordan
FRC #0204 (Eastern Robotic Vikings)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Chaos204 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chaos204
Re: What are your highlights of the build season so far?

We actually had a great session last Friday
It all started about an hour before we were supposed to end.
Freddy challenged us that we wouldn't have a running shooting mechanism so we set out to prove him wrong. He bribed us the astronomical sum of...
$5 (if we made it)

So we began working like a well oiled machine. Probably better than we ever have. We worked so well, our adviser Mr.B let us stay until 7:00 witch made Freddy sweat.

In the end we finished mounting the motors and the wheels are ready to be mounted.
He claims we lost, but we won because we have achieved to a new level of team unity.

Wait a minute could that be what he was planning the whole time?

Could the whole thing be an elaborate plot to make us work together?...

Na

(Thanks Freddy)

Eastern Robotic Vikings
2005 PARC FINALIST
with 84 and 176
E. R. V. is on its way
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:23 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Week 1 Highlight: Watching Neha sit in the corner with the robot on her lap and working on it.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Robots are friends
AKA: tagger fanatic
FRC #1345 (Platinum Dragons); FRC# 97 (RoboRuminants)
Team Role: Programmer

nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita

Highlight: watching our team mentor talk at 50 words/second when he got excited about the robot.
Example:

-"And then we can do this! And then this! And omg omg omg!!!!"
-"...chill out...it's not that serious"
-"no IT'S SO COOL. it's awesome man!"

it's great to have mentors enthusiastic about what we are doing. They turn back into 2 year olds. =)

Proud Member of H.I.L.
The PLATINUM DRAGONS are on FIRE!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:29 PM
AKA: Anna
FRC #1502 (Technical Diffaculties)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
SirLancelot is on a distinguished road

Ours would have to be the free-range hamster farms that our team decided to start up next summer, and plans to run a robot on hamster power. I guess that's a little random...
2006-Xerox Creativity Award, Boilermaker Regional
2005-Highest Rookie Seed Award, Boilermaker Regional
2005-Rookie Inspriation Award, Great Lakes Regional
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Disgruntled Alumni
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Jay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond repute

Our thre best highlights from this year so far are both from yesterday.

One being the fact that we spent more time having snowball fights and POOF ball fights then actually working on the robot.

The second being the fact that we moved our practice facilities out of an abandoned elementary field Cafetorium to and abandoned storefront in the local mall.

the third will be posted in picture form later. It's pretty ghetto.

JT
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:48 PM
FRC #1547 (Where's Waldo?)

Laura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond reputeLaura 1547 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Laura 1547

The highlight for me was last friday. At dinner 1 of our mentors dared me to eat 6 Premium Plus crackers in 1 minute with no water. It's hard to do for those of you who have never done it!! And then another mentor dared me to finish it off by eating 5 packets of sugar in a row. I ate the crackers and wripped open the 5 packets of sugar and ate them all at once. It was crazy!! I was hyper the whole night

The next day I had sooooooo much sugar that the team is now going to ban me from eating any more of it. Let's just say that the build season is very unhealthy for me
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:53 PM
lead machinist
AKA: alex
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

underwood is an unknown quantity at this point

playing this on loop in the build room

having the guy in charge of the wireless block as a programmer is good.

BANG BANG BANG

My Famous Last Words Will Be:
"I dunno, press the button and find out."
If life gives you lemons, find someone who's life has given them vodka and have a party.
"Bad artists copy. Great artists steal."
-Pablo Picasso
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
-Albert Einstein

MECHANICAL MONKEYS RULE!!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Mentor
FRC #6171 (Chain Reaction Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Zoheb N is just really niceZoheb N is just really niceZoheb N is just really niceZoheb N is just really nice

WOW there are just tooo many but one of the most recent ones was yesterday we went to CiCi's and one of the students put his head next to the window from the video game area and was starin at us and when a kid wanted to go in his dad was tooo scared and told him to wait HAHAHAHAHA LOL
2005 Lone Star General Motors Industrial Design Winner
2005 Lone Star Regional Winner
2005 Lone Star Regional Chairman's Winner
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Mechanical Design Engineer
AKA: That silly panda girl from back in the day.
no team

Nica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond repute

best moment for me so far would have to be last friday ( or two weeks ago i cant remember! ) a parent brought in bbq ribs for dinner that night. we took pictures of all our members AND mentors with bbq sauce all over their faces and hands . i have two videos too!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:21 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair

Ha, well, definently the odd, spontaneous dialouges that seem to occur every year, without the intention of those involved. You know, like...well, I don't want to ruin it.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:29 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Rookie Year: 2003
Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I pretty much enjoyed when I told the kids that before we ship the robot, they have to make me understand how it works. They laughed at first until they realized I was serious. Then they stood there, horrified. Eventually they began telling me about it.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

So far the highlights of the build season are my animation girls are doing an incredible job and I barely had to look over their shoulder. The team has shown incredible team spirit and in spite of not reaching our scheduled goal (we wanted a working prototype as of yesterday) we are still making incredible progress.
Hopefully this will be the year we break the pattern (since I've been here we've had great odd numbered years and struggled in the even numbered years).
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:47 PM
AKA: Sean
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)

spamified88 will become famous soon enoughspamified88 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to spamified88

Our advisor letting us shoot POOF balls at each other, granted we were wearing our safety goggles

PARALLEL
UNIVERSE
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Robot? We need a robot?
no team

Rookie Year: 1234
devicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nice

Our electronics team is ahead of the mechanical team.

Seriously... I've got the camera tracking the target, the gyro keeping the robot straight.. it's an amazing thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: