OCCRA
Go to Post Lexan $20.... Stock Aluminum $30.... Having a OI that is heavier than the robot PRICELESS.... - GBIT [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #226   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:34 PM
AKA: Max D "Code Boy"
FRC #2169 (KING TeC)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
Maxcr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2018 Game Speculation

At one point, someone said something about hidden lines in the Game Poster. So I took the poster into Photoshop and filtered out some colors and outlined the connections of what I found, but honestly couldn't figure out what it meant, so I decided to post it here and see what you all think.

#227   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 03:34 AM
FRC #4915 (Spartronics)
Team Role: Mentor

chrisrin has a spectacular aura aboutchrisrin has a spectacular aura about

The top of the central shape looks like a light bulb & the one on the right sort of does as well. Power can be a synonym for electricity... Electricity themed game? Others have already suggested it.
  #228   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 09:07 AM
AKA: Owen Dray
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)
Team Role: CAD

OwenD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OwenD Send a message via MSN to OwenD Send a message via Yahoo to OwenD

Given these hidden images (which unlike the lunacy text seem to be on purpose), it seems as if we are going to have a year with some sort of elevator. The past two years have both been ball years with relatively small robots, so it would make sense to have a year with very large bots and no balls.

I am imagining some sort of light bulb or other game piece that has to be lifted up and placed on a power source. You would need to place it parallel to the ground, not perpendicular like Logomotion. Possibly there are different heights that you place them on to get different points.
  #229   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM
I make the robot work (sometimes)
AKA: Lundo
FRC #5638 (LqPV Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
brandon5638 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon5638 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon5638 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyCal View Post
If you watch the Power Up teaser very carefully, it is a reference to TRON. In the movie TRON Legacy When Flynn's son goes into the abandoned arcade he walks up to the TRON game that is covered in plastic. He takes the plastic off and puts a quarter in the game. Just like in the teaser. Flynn's son finds the secret room goes in and WALKS DOWN STAIRS. He finds the master computer where he is then digitized and put in the game. Just like the teaser. In the movie TRON the power discs are frisbees. Which, in FRC, could be used to play a pong like game where you have to shoot frisbees into a high slot that moves back and forth. But there is a variety of games that could be played in TRON. The arcade in the movie even has similar gaming sound effects playing.

The images on the side of the arcade are just a progression (or evolution) of the different FRC games played throughout its history.

I believe the whole teaser is actually a reference to TRON. Check the link below and watch for yourself.

TRON Legacy (4min 32sec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQsaPVfze4s

FRC Teaser 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_JWAON6PI
I second this. TRON is also produced by Disney, which further checks out with what the game is going to be.

2015 - Northern Lights Regional Quarter Finalists
2015 - Minnesota State Qualifiers
2017 - Iowa Regional Semi-Finalists
2017 - Minnesota State Qualifiers
2018 - ?????
2019 - ?????
  #230   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM
AKA: Max D "Code Boy"
FRC #2169 (KING TeC)

Maxcr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

AndyMark just put 8" Pneumatic Wheels back in stock. This just further decreases the probability of a flat field, and supports the stair theory.

My guess is that there will be a platform that can be climbed up to on stairs but elevator lifts can also be used to get things to the platform in order to keep the 4-year-cycle intact.
  #231   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2017, 12:41 PM
FRC #5675 (WiredCats)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
Hippo1ord is an unknown quantity at this point

After seeing the similarities between the hint video and the TRON movie, plus the RFID chips that were being tested at some of the offseason events to track robots across the field, I am certain that the game will involve the line tracing mechanic like in TRON. Probably the floor will have lights in them that will light up your teams color when you drive over them. Its possible that they will even have the "can't cross your opponents line" thing like in TRON.

However, Im guessing that "power up" doesn't mean level up but rather charge something up. I wouldn't be surprised if drawing the lines on the floor was to make electrical connections as part of a "charging" mechanic. i.e, draw lines to connect the positive and negative of a battery to a lightbulb on the field to light it up and score points.

Also, the use of coins in all the game artwork and the power discs in TRON make me think there will be some sort of Disc-like projectiles, or like pucks. Maybe something along the lines of charging a battery with coins or power discs then connecting the battery to the lightbulb or arcade game or whatever with the line tracing mechanics. Or maybe you have to insert the coin in the slot and then for the next 10 seconds the field will trace your robot.

Finally, it seems like stairs are going to be a part of the game somehow. Probably, they will be something you climb at the end kind of like the ropes in steamworks.

Hope these ideas inspire some future brainstorming
  #232   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2017, 03:10 PM
FRC #0122

happyWobot is on a distinguished road

Something to consider regarding a potential endgame with stairs. The surface area required for a stair-like element of just 3 steps each for each robot on the field to participate in a safe stair climb would be a massive amount of surface area. At least 81 square feet per field side just for 3 steps each for 3 robots with steps large enough to accomodate bumpers at 3'x3' large.

At ~680 sq ft per field side that might not seem like a serious impediment but it will need ingress space, and it will need to be efficiently arranged for all 3 robots to access. Then you have issues of placement and alignment, field corners, and where on the field would something like that easily fit without making the rest of the field unusable? And that's only 3 steps per robot.

In order for stairs to be a part of the field, and available for all 3 robots of one alliance to participate, we're talking at least ~110 Sq ft of reserved space (9 steps and loading space) with 3/4 of that unusable for the majority of the game period. I can't think of a game in recent memory that had that much space inaccessible for the majority of teleop.

Unless....the goal of the game is to make the stairs "unfold" from a stored position like high school bleachers. Just a thought.
  #233   Spotlight this post!  
Unread Yesterday, 09:06 AM
FRC #5682

team5682zs is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking a game of multiple elevations. Starting position options of those different elevations(recruitment poster reinforces this) . A team could design their robot climb (or not). Threshold by coins x500. If coins are small and plenty, they could turn into obstacle.

There was mention of rfid tags, perhaps on pieces instead of robots for tracking.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: