OCCRA
Go to Post I wonder if the GDC had his extraordinary achievements in mind for the 2012 game. - MagiChau [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2016, 04:09 PM
FRC #5000

Chito has a spectacular aura aboutChito has a spectacular aura about
vinyl cuts not sticking to bumpers

Is any other team having problems with vinyl cuts not sticking to bumpers?
If you have, can you please tell me how you dealt with this issue.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2016, 04:18 PM
AKA: CAAAAAD
no team
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2013
thinker&planner is a splendid one to beholdthinker&planner is a splendid one to beholdthinker&planner is a splendid one to beholdthinker&planner is a splendid one to beholdthinker&planner is a splendid one to beholdthinker&planner is a splendid one to beholdthinker&planner is a splendid one to behold
Re: vinyl cuts not sticking to bumpers

We used some sort of heat transfer vinyl for our bumper numbers, but I'm not exactly sure where online we got it.

The edges started peeling up a little, so we hit it with a heat gun and pressed it back down with a credit card edge, and it worked beautifully. (We used Dacron sailcloth for the fabric)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2016, 04:56 PM
AKA: Alvin
FRC #1967
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Zyrano is a splendid one to beholdZyrano is a splendid one to beholdZyrano is a splendid one to beholdZyrano is a splendid one to beholdZyrano is a splendid one to beholdZyrano is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Zyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chito View Post
Is any other team having problems with vinyl cuts not sticking to bumpers?
If you have, can you please tell me how you dealt with this issue.
You need heat transfer vinyl and remember to cut it mirror, and you'd need a heat press to make it work...

Here is the material we use. http://www.signwarehouse.com/p/endur...5in-11ft-white

it takes 350degrees for 20 seconds, so more than an iron can normally do.
Supporter, 2006-11, Bulldogs Robotics FRC Team 581
Supporter, 2007-??, Pioneer HS Robotics FRC Team 668
Supporter, 2011-??, Dark Matter FRC Team 2643
Student, 1999- GRT FRC Team 192
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Rookie Year: 2016
Type is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to behold

My team used heat transfer vinyl. I take classes off campus of my main school, where we have acess to a lot more technology, so we had a vinyl cutter I could use. I messed up cutting so I was able to use bumper scraps to practice ironing on the vinyl. I'm not sure the temperature but I tuned the iron to the right area so if I pushed down on each number for 30 seconds l, it would melt perfectly in. We took a lot of hits last weekend, and it scuffed the vinyl but hasn't peeled or truly messed it up.

*Note- I wasn't at the school that had the vinyl cutter and heat press so I used a normal iron for clothes.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2016, 02:08 AM
AKA: Kathryn Dittmeier
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2011
MrsDitt is on a distinguished road

It is important to match up the type of cloth you are using with the correct heat transfer product. For instance, the slick bumper material from Andy Mark is made of nylon, which is a difficult product to stick most heat transfer vinyl to.

This chart from Siser, manufacturer of Easy Weed heat transfer vinyl, shows the different types of product they make and what fabrics they work on. Only Easy Weed Extra, VideoFlex Glitter, and Glitter adhere to nylon, and it specifies "lightly siliconed vinyl," which I don't think describes the slick bumper material.

https://www.specialty-graphics.com/m...vinyl-tech.pdf

If you think it's the type of fabric you have, you might try swapping out your fabric for cotton duck cloth, widely available in red and blue at JoAnn Fabric. Use a coupon and it won't be too costly.

When vinyl type and fabric type are a good match, there are three other things that can affect the end product: proper temperature, dwell time, and pressure. Basic Easy Weed for cotton works at 305 degrees, requires medium pressure, and 10-15 seconds. We've had to go up to 320 degrees, heavy pressure (using a heat press), and 30-40 seconds for some heavy cotton fabrics.
www.robotcasserole.org
#FRC1736
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2016, 10:51 AM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute

Two words: Super Glue
It works for FRC Team 1501
World's - #1 seeded in Archimedes, WON Archimedes and made it to Einstein
2016 NC District - Guilford County. #13 seeded, Finalist. Won Quality award.
IN District - Tippecanoe. #4 seeded. Won Innovation in Control award.
IN District - Perry Meridian. #3 seeded. Finalist. Won Excellence in Engineering award.
IN District - State Championship. #1 seeded. Finalist. Won Excellence in Engineering award.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Red for mediocre performance
AKA: Grayson Burgess
FRC #0965 (X3 Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
audietron is a splendid one to beholdaudietron is a splendid one to beholdaudietron is a splendid one to beholdaudietron is a splendid one to beholdaudietron is a splendid one to beholdaudietron is a splendid one to beholdaudietron is a splendid one to behold

We tried regular vinyl to see what it would do. If you heat up the fabric than heat up the vinyl a bit before sticking it, It will stay on very well.
2014: Central illinois Semifinalist (Thanks to 1756 & 1288)

2013: North Star regional Winner (Thanks to 2175 & 4607)
2013: Curie Semifinalist (Thanks to 2056 & 3990)
2013: IRI Semifinalist (Thanks to 359, 1477, & 148)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2017, 10:42 AM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to necro this thread. We have been using sailcloth for the past couple years for our bumpers. We have been using this with pretty great success: http://www.sailrite.com/Insignia-Adh...d-UV-Dacron-10

However, it's just annoying to cut out numbers. Anyone know if a standard vinyl cutter would work with that material? (I have literally zero experience with vinyl cutters and have no idea how they work).
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2017, 03:47 PM
AKA: Andrew Hartnett
FRC #5414 (Pearadox)

Rookie Year: 2005
ahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond repute
We've used a cricut for most of our vinyl adhesives - but for sponsor logos not the bumper #s. Works great for us.

EDIT: we did actually use the cricut for one number that got damaged in our first regional. Haven't had any major issues with it to my knowledge. Some numbers are beginning to peel though
Team 451 The Cat Attack, Student Alumni (2005)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 10:41 AM
Captain | Driver | Senior
AKA: Rohit Gondi
FRC #3991 (KnightVision)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2012
dirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond repute

We had our number embroidered onto the bumper this year, easily one of the best bumper decision's we've done. Doesn't cost too much to do (free if you can convince the embroidery shop to sponsor you), and numbers will never come of, and looks amazing. I just wish we had gone with a different Font.

http://i.imgur.com/hiRgAWS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6kiWit4.jpg

Thanks to all our alliance partners this year!:
16 | 3310 | 2183 | 4063 | 2992 | 2183 | 3039 | 3337 | 3039 | 2221
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by audietron View Post
We tried regular vinyl to see what it would do. If you heat up the fabric than heat up the vinyl a bit before sticking it, It will stay on very well.
Sounds suspiciously like soldering .

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
Sorry to necro this thread. We have been using sailcloth for the past couple years for our bumpers. We have been using this with pretty great success: http://www.sailrite.com/Insignia-Adh...d-UV-Dacron-10

However, it's just annoying to cut out numbers. Anyone know if a standard vinyl cutter would work with that material? (I have literally zero experience with vinyl cutters and have no idea how they work).
A vinyl cutter drags essentially a small razor knife over the vinyl to cut it, but it does not cut through: Only the vinyl is cut, not the backing material. (Some do cut through). Google "drag knife" to see the tool.

Vinyl is rigid in the X/Y direction when being cut, while sailcloth is not; indeed it gets kinds floppy and that's why cutting letters is a pain.

It *may* be possible to spray-glue sailcloth to a rigid backing (like thin cardboard) and then cut it, but you'd first need a vinyl cutter, a drag knife that'll cut that thickness (just the cloth, but usually a lot thicker than vinyl) and then have to play with it a bit. I've never tried it.

Note that a drag knife can easily be retrofitted to most CNC routers, perhaps even a mill, so that may be your only investment. I see things on Google like cutting leather with a drag knife, so...

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2017, 11:56 PM
Everyone. Everywhere.
FRC #3132 (Thunder Down Under)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Phoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to sail cloth tape for bumper numbers.

We started off just using it for teams we make bumpers for (~15 a year), and it worked so well we adopted it for our team this year. Last year we embroidered our numbers and were surprised at how torn up they got. This year, using the sail cloth tape, our numbers held up through 3 Regionals and Championships and still look great.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2017, 06:03 AM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Spud View Post
+1 to sail cloth tape for bumper numbers.

We started off just using it for teams we make bumpers for (~15 a year), and it worked so well we adopted it for our team this year. Last year we embroidered our numbers and were surprised at how torn up they got. This year, using the sail cloth tape, our numbers held up through 3 Regionals and Championships and still look great.
How didn't you cut them out? We printed out numbers on regular printer paper, taped them down to the sailcloth tape, then cut with scissors. It was just a bit of a hassle and can look not great depending on how careful you are with scissors.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2017, 11:25 AM
AKA: Carson Gray
FRC #6398 (Kilo-Bots)

Rookie Year: 2017
WhiteBoySwag is infamous around these partsWhiteBoySwag is infamous around these partsWhiteBoySwag is infamous around these parts

We had the problem too. We probably didn't use the right application method or vinyl for our bumpers but we didn't bother to check that either.
Anyway, Super Glue or Scotch Weld or anything of that sort really. Quick drying glues are great.
The types that won't come off of your hands if you rub the glue enough (i.e. NOT an Elmer's type)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: