OCCRA
Go to Post Now, almost a day later, no one has begun interpreting, dissecting, attaching synonyms, re-interpreting or otherwise mangling Dave's wise words in an effort to find the hidden key to the game. I smell a conspiracy! - petek [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM
AKA: Matt
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
messer5740 has a spectacular aura aboutmesser5740 has a spectacular aura about
EVO Shifters, why not?

Our team is planning on ordering a few parts before kickoff, and EVO shifters are on the list. After seeing much talk about shifters on CD, I wanted to get your opinion, why should we, or should we not get this product and what would you recommend?

2 or 3 CIMs? (mini CIMs included)
Any tips not to brown out?
What ratio should we use with 6in wheels that optimize controlled speed and push power?

By the way, we are planning on using the 2018 KOP chassis.

Matt

A good driver is always better than a good robot.

2015: Winner of the Rookie Inspiration Award
2016: Quarterfinalists at Greater Pittsburgh Regional and Buckeye Regional
2017: Dean's List Finalist

Last edited by messer5740 : 12-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Let's take it back...
AKA: That's a J. Dilla reference, BTW.
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EVO Shifters, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messer5740 View Post
Our team is planning on ordering a few parts before kickoff, and EVO shifters are on the list. After seeing much talk about shifters on CD, I wanted to get your opinion, why should we, or should we not get this product and what would you recommend?

What ratio should we use with 6in wheels that optimize controlled speed and push power?

Matt
I used to work at AndyMark, and several teams around me used EVO Shifters last year. The only issues I heard about or saw were related to early-production dogs breaking, but that was nipped in the bud in time for events. I'd totally use them if the design called for them.

Given the broad choices available on ratios, I probably wouldn't order them before Kickoff, or at the minimum I'd order them and expect to have to swap ratios out inside. (Murphy's Law applies when trying to read the tea leaves on what the next game will be.)

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

106 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 14 seasons, over 70,000 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Quote:
Originally Posted by messer5740 View Post

Matt
Word of warning on using 3 MiniCIMs with the EVO (I briefly investigated this).

The EVO uses a 32dp 1st stage with 15T pinions on the motors. Due to the pinion size, they are press-fit pinions, rather than keyed like you would use in the KOP toughbox.

If you're using full size CIMs you can buy them with pinions already pressed on from AndyMark. With MiniCIM's, you would need to press them yourself. The MiniCIMs (and CIMs) don't have exposed back-shafts so you do have some risk to damaging the motor, not sure how much. It takes a pretty hefty press (requires 3-ton press or better). This may or may not be something your team is capable of doing.

Personally, I'd stick with 2 CIMs per side. It's proven, it works well, and it doesn't require software to protect against main breakers popping at reasonable gearings. YMMV
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttyman54 View Post
Personally, I'd stick with 2 CIMs per side. It's proven, it works well, and it doesn't require software to protect against main breakers popping at reasonable gearings. YMMV
Lot of wisdom in this post.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.
Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Eh... Close enough.
AKA: Elliott Budd
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
ElliottB is on a distinguished road

We ran them in the 3 CIM configuration with a 22.67:1 low gear and 6.0:1 for high. They worked well, through we would brown out if we accelerated in high gear from full stop and I believe we had some software control. Otherwise they worked well other than the early production errors(replacing breaking both dogs in the middle of competition in a small pit isn't fun...)

I would advocate to use EVOs again if the game called for it. If you use the KoP chassis they do sit pretty low depending on wheel size and a bellypan would be useful if you think its necessary. We built one for the off season and worked ok to keep out field debris out. The ratios we picked worked well for, but AndyMark has a calculator for speed for all ratios and wheel sizes here if you want to check it out!

2016-Tippecanoe and Perry Meridian winners with (1024,1747) Indiana semifinalists with (135,3559) Archimedes quarterfinalists with (1540,1671,236) IRI quarterfinals with (179,1806,233)
2015-present FRC #45 TechnoKats
2017-present Tech lead #45

2016-present FTC #11130 RoboKats
2066-present Team captain #11130
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 12:50 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

We are seriously considering using the EVO boxes this year. We are also considering using the WCP shifters, which we have used on four bots in the past, and the Vex ball shifters, which we used successfully in 2014. We have no experience with the AndyMark shifters, and haven't used their boxes on the drivetrain since 2013. A bit of info: we are likely using belt-in-tube, running a 2" wide square tube for the drive rails, as we did last year and on this year's off season bot. My questions:
  • How simple is it to mount the Vex ball shifter WCD style? Any major mods required?
  • Is the extra cost of the EVO worth it to ensure we get boxes quickly? Last year we had to wait until week four to put our boxes together, and nearly had to change our design due to the boxes arriving so late. We would VERY much like to avaoid this problem.

Remember why you're doing this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: