OCCRA
Go to Post Canada has five regional events now. Canada. - Nick Lawrence [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Yarden Saad
AKA: Yarden Saad
FRC #3339 (BumbleB)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
yarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond reputeyarden.saa has a reputation beyond repute
CNC Router help needed

Hi,
My team has purchesed an old CNC Router that uses MACH3.
There are 2 problems I don't know how to solve bu I think both of them are connected to the software that converts DXF files to GCode.
We currently use DXF2GCODE that I found in google...

1. We don't know how to adjust the height of the material, DXF is heightless but I want to set the height by the material I put inside the table of the machine.
2. We don't know how to set the diameter of the tool we are working with. There is a place to change tool in MACH3 but I don't think it affects the motion profile.

Thanks,
Yarden

2016 - Curie Sub-division Winners, Regional Winners
2015 - Carson Sub-division Winners, Regional Winners
2012 - 3339 Captain and Dean's List Finalist
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Jack of All Trades/Master on none
FRC #1885 (ILITE Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
Bald & Bearded is on a distinguished road
Re: CNC Router help needed

Yarden:
I am not familiar with the DXF2GCODE software but your assumption that is where the issue resides probably correct. MAC3 is a solid CAM program but it needs something else to generate the tool paths. Those paths are directly related to the bit size and type as well as the material thickness with the speed/rate needing to be adjusted based on the bit and material.

I would invest in one of the better known software programs to generate tool paths. We use Vectric Cut2D. You can find out about them and the costs
at http://www.vectric.com/products/cut2d.html
If your work area is bigger that 24"x24" you will need the pro version.

If you want to do fancy plaques and 3d carving you will need to upgrade to VCarve.

You can download trail versions of all this but they will only output a small part of the gcode.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 01:32 PM
On to my 17th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Use Autodesk Inventor HSM, Fusion360, or or HSMWorks for Solidworks to generate your toolpaths. These programs are free for students and schools, and light-years beyond DXF2Gcode
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 01:58 PM
3574 - The King's of Bling
AKA: Jim
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)

Rookie Year: 2012
InFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud of

I would suggest you start with a .stp file rather than a .dxf file. Step files contain the full solid surface model, where the older .dxf are a wire frame model.

As part of the First CAD software licensing; the are some CAM packages available free as well. Autodesk Fusion is one option.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Also 299 mentor
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics and Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

299 uses HSMworks with great success. 1072 is planning on using MasterCAM but we'll see if we stick with it.
HSMWorks' 2D options lets you select contours to cut and adjust feed depth and finishing pass size. You can store your tools in a tooling file. I didn't have much fun with V-carve and it generated some really sub-optimal toolpaths for cutting parts out, but it can work with some effort.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Yarden, there are many CAD-to-G-Code generators out there; HSM and HSMworks are good, I use Vectric V-Carve Pro, and there are many others at prices from free to very expensive. You do get what you pay for, but above a certain point (about US$1000) the curve tends to flatten for general-purpose programs.

These programs should always compensate for the bit diameter, as well as allow you to specify speeds and feed rates, as well as define complex motion paths

You CAN also write G-Code by hand, but this can get awfully difficult for anything but the simplest of tool paths. Good to know, though, since you can then 'touch up' software-generated tool paths.

When I bought MACH3, I god a program called LazyCAD (also by Artsoft) that was useful for some work. They call it "Beta version" and "Use at your own risk" because it does have some bugs, and it is not supported at all. But it was free...

Let us know how it turns out.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2017, 06:30 PM
FRC #1414 (IHOT Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2015
Jchau is on a distinguished road

I completely agree with Sanddrag. HSMworks is great. We have just started using it and it works really well for our workflow since it's integrated into SolidWorks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: