OCCRA
Go to Post dont be afraid of new technology. embrace it and experment with it figure out the problems on the way and then tell us about it so it gets easier. - Tytus Gerrish [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical > CAN
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2015, 10:04 AM
FRC #4780

Jtbillick is an unknown quantity at this point
No CAN connection on the PDP

Hey, I'm from team 4780. We are having an issue with the CAN communication. The lights on the PDP are blinking red and I know that means that there are no CAN communications. The CAN is connected directly from the roboRio to the PDP because my team isn't using the PCM or jags. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2015, 10:27 AM
FRC #4780

Jtbillick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No CAN connection on the PDP

Never mind. I reimaged the roboRio and the lights turned green.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Omar Zrien
AKA: Omar
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
ozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond reputeozrien has a reputation beyond repute

If your PDP is blinking red then you have a wiring/hardware issue. Re-imaging should not fix that. See PDP LED section in User' Guide for more info on LEDs.

Also when you power up the robot that only has PDP+RIO on CAN, the LEDs may be red for a few seconds (say ten seconds to be safe). RIO doesn't enable CAN immediately, meanwhile the PDP LEDs will blink red.

If re-imaging the RIO "fixed it" then it could be the issue documented in the 2-24-2015 team update. Are you using C++? If so then that makes sense, in which case you might want to update your wpilib plugins.
http://contentviewer.adobe.com/s/FIR...24.html#page_0

I'm glad you figured it out, I just don't want teams needlessly re-imaging their RIOs. It takes a while to re-image, and then you have to re-deploy code. If you have a doubt, it might be easier to un-deploy your code first, reboot, and try that. That accomplishes nearly the same result as re-imaging.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2015, 12:03 PM
AKA: Jon Stanley
FRC #4263 (CyberDrgaon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
jds2001 has much to be proud ofjds2001 has much to be proud ofjds2001 has much to be proud ofjds2001 has much to be proud ofjds2001 has much to be proud ofjds2001 has much to be proud ofjds2001 has much to be proud ofjds2001 has much to be proud ofjds2001 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrien View Post
If your PDP is blinking red then you have a wiring/hardware issue. Re-imaging should not fix that. See PDP LED section in User' Guide for more info on LEDs.
Unless it's a fresh-from-the-factory roboRIO that doesn't yet understand CAN until you've imaged it

It threw my programmer for a loop when he was trying to bring up our second roboRIO (I imaged the first one....)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: