Go to Post My nephew...loves FIRST. He wants to be an X-Cat but since he lives in Atlanta and that's a heck of a long commute for meetings I told him he probably should strive to be the next best thing: a CircuitRunner. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Are you or your team interested in this service?
Yes 54 72.97%
No 20 27.03%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 07:32 PM
#fueldoesntmatter
AKA: Emile Hamwey
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2011
EmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond repute
Gauging Interest: T-Shirt Distribution Website?

Hey everyone,

Myself and a couple friends are exploring options for a site that would allow teams to sell their shirts online in a similar fashion to 610 and 254.

The overall business model is based on Spreadshirt, a company that allows organizations to sell shirts, clothing, and other merch like waterbottles/cases, where they take a small cut of the profit. Our service would expand upon this and allow teams to send us their designs and branding preferences along with copyright permission (not entirely sure how that would work out), and we would take care of the logistics of distribution. In terms of profit, Spreadshirt would take some small cut of the sale, the host team(s) of the store would take a small cut of the sale, and your team would take the rest of the money back as fundraising. In addition it is a great way to grow your team's recognition and branding.

Please vote in the poll above and discuss below if your team is interested in participating in our program. Nothing is set in stone yet but we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks to all our alliance partners this season!
125 | 238 | 5687 | 4908 | 58 | 3930 | 6328 | 177 | 67 | 2137 | 1640 | 2084 | 5556 | 1519 | 6328

Last edited by EmileH : 07-10-2017 at 10:03 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 08:38 PM
#fueldoesntmatter
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

EmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gauging Interest: T-Shirt Distribution Website?

To expand on this a bit and provide some more details about Spreadshirt's business model and how it integrates with OUR proposed business model and how it is ideal for YOUR team, we have outlined the two sources of profit for Partner Team products sold in the store:

1) The "Design Price", which is the amount of pure profit ($0-$20) that a Partner Team can set on all of the products that they are selling. All of the profits from this section go to the Partner Team.

2) The affiliate commission, which is exactly 20% of the price that any product is sold for. (For example, if team A sells a product on our store for $10, they make back $2 in Affiliate commission.) All of the profits from this section go to the Partner Team.

To help visualize this information we have provided an infographic below:

Hopefully this helps clarify some questions you may have about our service.

125 | 238 | 5687 | 4908 | 58 | 3930 | 6328 | 177 | 67 | 2137 | 1640 | 2084 | 5556 | 1519 | 6328

Last edited by EmileH : 07-10-2017 at 08:40 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 09:22 PM
FRC #0263

rsb7151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Emile H, please contact me ASAP i am with a group of members who are currently working on this idea and we would love to talk to more developers We are a group of 5 people and are open to any ideas and frameworks. Hope to hear from you soon.
-Ryan
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 09:47 PM
#fueldoesntmatter
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsb7151 View Post
Hello Emile H, please contact me ASAP i am with a group of members who are currently working on this idea and we would love to talk to more developers We are a group of 5 people and are open to any ideas and frameworks. Hope to hear from you soon.
-Ryan
PM sent.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 01:04 PM
AKA: Braxton
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2015
bbensel is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly, this is a great idea and if well-executed would be a really cool thing to have. I want to see the rationale of those who voted no, as while I could see someone being indifferent, I see no blatant downsides.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 01:33 PM
🐔
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbensel View Post
Honestly, this is a great idea and if well-executed would be a really cool thing to have. I want to see the rationale of those who voted no, as while I could see someone being indifferent, I see no blatant downsides.
Disclaimer: I voted yes.

However the question says "are you or your team interested in this service". So if you don't want to trade shirts, you would vote no. It doesn't mean you think it's a bad idea or see any downsides.
2019: ??? (???)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM
AKA: Sam
FRC #0841 (Biomechs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
s-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant future

At that price point? No. Our community wouldn't pay that much for a t-shirt, same reason we don't use other online services. We've built local relationships to get shirts done for much less cash. Takes more legwork, but we have more legs to do work than we have cash.

As far as more productive feedback, the "commission" thing is confusing, and I don't understand why it's not just built into your "design price" instead? If you're giving $15 back to the team, just call production cost $10...

(This assumes you have credit lines available to the business; if you need teams fronting $15/item to get inventory made, which you'd then pass some of back to them after the sale, I can see why you'd separate the pricing out like that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkrishna3082
...trade shirts...
We're producing & selling in this thread, not trading
Student - Team 192 (2009 - 2010)
Work:
SunPower Systems, Product Engineering - Utility Power Plants (2015 - ? )
BSci, Mechanical Engineering, UCLA (2010-2015)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 02:54 PM
#fueldoesntmatter
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-neff View Post
At that price point? No. Our community wouldn't pay that much for a t-shirt, same reason we don't use other online services. We've built local relationships to get shirts done for much less cash. Takes more legwork, but we have more legs to do work than we have cash.

As far as more productive feedback, the "commission" thing is confusing, and I don't understand why it's not just built into your "design price" instead? If you're giving $15 back to the team, just call production cost $10...

(This assumes you have credit lines available to the business; if you need teams fronting $15/item to get inventory made, which you'd then pass some of back to them after the sale, I can see why you'd separate the pricing out like that)

$25 total is just an example. Spreadshirt sets the base production prices for all the shirts/merch and the team decides how much they want to add on to that price. The affiliate commission is decided after the item price, and that's why we structure it that way, also to keep it similar to Spreadshirt's business model.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 02:58 PM
#fueldoesntmatter
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-neff View Post

To follow up, the customer buys the shirt and then it is produced. There's no credit - the item production cost (less 20% of the total item cost) goes to spreadshirt as their profit and as money to produce the item, and the rest goes back to the Partner Team.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 12:03 PM
AKA: Sam
FRC #0841 (Biomechs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
s-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant futures-neff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileH View Post
$25 total is just an example. Spreadshirt sets the base production prices for all the shirts/merch and the team decides how much they want to add on to that price.
$10 is more than we would pay for production Others will feel differently. (I might be doing the math on the affiliate commission wrong.)
Quote:
The affiliate commission is decided after the item price
Why? This still seems like an unnecessary step.
Quote:
also to keep it similar to Spreadshirt's business model.
Is there any real benefit to that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileH View Post
To follow up, the customer buys the shirt and then it is produced. There's no credit - the item production cost (less 20% of the total item cost) goes to spreadshirt as their profit and as money to produce the item, and the rest goes back to the Partner Team.
Gotcha
Student - Team 192 (2009 - 2010)
Work:
SunPower Systems, Product Engineering - Utility Power Plants (2015 - ? )
BSci, Mechanical Engineering, UCLA (2010-2015)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: