OCCRA
Go to Post It's definitely possible to get very near to 100% prediction accuracy with machine learning. All you have to do is use a network at least as large as your data set and neglect to keep your training and testing data separate. - Caleb Sykes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy > You Make The Call
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM
AKA: Kevin Thorp
FRC #3489 (Category 5)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond repute
[YMTC]: Is ramming okay?

While watching the final matches at a regional last weekend I saw one robot repeatedly ramming their opponents. Not just bumping & pushing, but backing up to get the maximum acceleration distance, then slamming into the opponent at full speed, over and over again.

This strategy paid off. Not only did the ram-bot's alliance win the match, they won the regional because the damaged robot could not be repaired in time for the final match.

I know we should design our robots to withstand aggressive game play, but at what point does FRC become Battlebots?

Last edited by Kevin Thorp : 03-20-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Corrected typos.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 03:39 PM
In Transition
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [YMTC]: Is ramming okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thorp View Post
Not only did the ram-bot's alliance win the match, they won the regional because the damaged robot could not be repaired in time for the final match.
Sounds like it should have been a red card to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 Game Manual, G10
Donít tear others down to lift yourself up. Strategies aimed at the destruction or inhibition of ROBOTS via attachment, damage, tipping, or entanglements are not allowed.
Violation: FOUL and YELLOW CARD. If harm or incapacitation occurs as a result of the strategy, RED CARD

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 04:00 PM
FRC #4999 (Momentum Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
ARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
Sounds like it should have been a red card to me.
I think we need to see a video before passing judgement, although I don't support "witch-hunting," it might be more clear if we saw the video

Spec sheets are your friend.

A problem that you don't want to solve is an opportunity to better yourself.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM
AKA: Kevin Thorp
FRC #3489 (Category 5)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaulinaitis View Post
I think we need to see a video before passing judgement, although I don't support "witch-hunting," it might be more clear if we saw the video
Yeah... that's why I didn't post the video link. I don't want to target a particular team, just determine what is acceptable game play. The refs must have thought the ramming was okay, so we should expect it at our next regional.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2018, 04:48 PM
FRC #4362 (Gems Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
Commandman7 is just really niceCommandman7 is just really niceCommandman7 is just really niceCommandman7 is just really niceCommandman7 is just really nice

This reminds me of 2014, when the field facilitated much faster movement. Damage due to ramming was pretty common, and our team personally got rammed at MSC hard enough to dent our KOP chassis in a full 2 or 3 inches. This was an accidental ram due to some programming error on the other team's bot. They got disabled for the rest of the match, which I believe is the correct response for accidental robot damage. (unsure of the rule's take on this).

That being said, I think like with every rule in FRC, it really should come down to intent. Most people can agree the behavior you are describing is not desired and should have been a G10 red card.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Minister of Zip Ties
AKA: Sam Ehrenstein
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
qscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While watching the final matches at a regional last weekend I saw one robot repeatedly ramming their opponents. Not just bumping & pushing, but backing up to get the maximum acceleration distance, then slamming into the opponent at full speed, over and over again.

This strategy paid off. Not only did the ram-bot's alliance win the match, they won the regional because the damaged robot could not be repaired in time for the final match.

I know we should design our robots to withstand aggressive game play, but at what point does FRC become Battlebots?
It really depends on why they were doing it, or at least appeared to be doing it. Ramming a robot to make it drop cubes or throw off its aim is fine. Ramming to tip a robot over or cause any sort of damage is not fine. I don't think anyone can make a judgement call on this without seeing the match video.

FRC Team 449, 2014-Present
Case Western Reserve University Class of 2021
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:

Ramming is not against the rules. Defense is not against the rules
Damaging other robots is against the rules.

if the contact is bumper to bumper only and is not forcing 'exposed items' (manipulators) to excessive contact (with the ramming bot of field elements) then it is legal and the bot being rammed should have been more robust. If not then the ramming bot should have received a red card.

The term FIRST used to use was 'vigorous' interaction.
- Tennyson, Ulysses

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: