OCCRA
Go to Post It's a club if you have a bunch of people who hang out and do nothing - It's a team if all you all work together and cooperate to win. - Tytus Gerrish [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #121   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Taking a few years (mostly) off
AKA: Josepher
no team (Formerly 1687, 5400)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.
Re: "i.am.FIRST -- Science is Rock and Roll" airs August 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Bonzack View Post
Don't like it? Then lets change the culture.
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Barry Bonzack again"

The special did its job. It got our name out, and generated curiosity. Now, its up to us to change the culture.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-2016: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP
2017: Technical Mentor, FRC 1100, The T-Hawks
2018: Other projects/maybe some mentor-for-hire work around NE

#122   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Says Memorable Things
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #5895 (Peddie Robotics & FRC 708 Hatters Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Bonzack View Post

Don't like it? Then lets change the culture.
Barry, posts like this are why I love you.

And you know what? I don't like it. But this gives me an excuse to try to go out with my team and make them hit the community hard. (Metaphorically speaking)
Current - Technical Mentor, FRC 5895, FRC 708
  #123   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM
iScout
AKA: Brian, Frenchie, or that guy
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2010
Frenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the roughFrenchie461 is a jewel in the rough

This is the big FIRST (yes I had to do that) step to spreading the word of what we do. People know what FIRST is, so the next step is getting them involved, whether that's getting them to watch a FIRST event, support a child/friend/relative in the program, or joining a team outright. This our big chance to spread the word and change the culture, let's not waste it. So in the words of one Leroy Jenkins, "Time's up, let's do this."
  #124   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Sparky
AKA: Eric
FRC #1566 (Ammoknights)
Team Role: Electrical

Gir_450 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Gir_450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie461 View Post
So in the words of one Leroy Jenkins, "Time's up, let's do this."
OMG he just ran in.....SEND BACKUP!
  #125   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:22 PM
2017... Oooh Kill em, Swerve!
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if there is a place to download or view the show after?

Thanks,

-RC
  #126   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. View Post
Does anyone know if there is a place to download or view the show after?

Thanks,

-RC
Check and see if it's on ABC's website.
  #127   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:35 PM
<3
AKA: Princess Leia
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
torihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to torihoelscher

I think that this special was very beneficial and even the Jc Penney commercials were amazing at showing FIRST off. I am very impressed on how they put the culture and team's dedication to building robots. A lot of teams have been doing this for a long time and it shows their dedication and I'm glad the special emphasized on how serious building, competing, and sharing our culture is to us. I am very happy with this special. It was awesome!!

Last edited by torihoelscher : 08-14-2011 at 10:23 PM.
  #128   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Not having attended the Championship event this year, I had no expectations of what the Special would look like or how FIRST would be presented in a brief one-hour window. One of the delightful surprises that ended up being very emotional for me - was the commercials, especially during that first 1/2 hour segment. I was so proud to sit there and watch those commercials and say, "That's a FIRST sponsor! That's another FIRST sponsor! That's a FIRST sponsor!" It's great to see their sponsorship at events - it's a whole nuther level to see those commercials during prime time TV like that. It was made of win.

I loved the team profiles and realizing anew that every team has a story that can capture the imagination, challenge the status quo, and change the culture. It was thrilling to hear students talking about their futures in ways that they would not have thought possible before they joined a team.

It was also very cool to think about the Poofs getting nervous during competition. I've never thought about that.

.. Wonder if Will.i.am knows any country music folks...

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #129   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:11 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
O'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks will.i.am for producing and endorsing this great feature on FIRST.
  #130   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:16 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a second, people are nit picking tonight's show after will.i.am paid for everything and took his time to get our name out there? What more do you want?

Shame, shame, shame!

Thank you so much Will!

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #131   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Made in Wisconsin
AKA: Katie Widen
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to Will.i.am's tweeter page, you might be significantly happier. Its not ridiculous amounts of feedback, but there are two that make it worth it (in my eyes), plus compliments from Oprah (and everyone loves Oprah ).

EDIT: More than two.

1675->3928->1296->??

Last edited by Katie_UPS : 08-14-2011 at 10:22 PM.
  #132   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:28 PM
UAH Class of 2019
FRC #3397 (Robolions)

Walter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond repute

The next step in getting FIRST out to the public is selling lightbulbs. They make money for the teams but also spread the word about FIRST. If everyone gives a short speech about what their team is doing whenever they sell a lightbulb, the general public won't be able to help but notice us.

(Hanging out with my buddies at 610)
Robotics, it's not just a club, it's a career.
FLL Referee (2012-Present)

2014 Gateway Robotics Challenge winners (With 2481 and 1985)
2011 St. Louis Regional Winners (With 1985 and 3284)
2010 Highest Rookie Seed
I am the guy in the golden hat, say "Hi!" to me at WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

Last edited by Walter Deitzler : 08-14-2011 at 10:34 PM.
  #133   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:29 PM
AKA: Nick Finn
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2009
DSM33 is a jewel in the roughDSM33 is a jewel in the roughDSM33 is a jewel in the rough

What i found really interesting is that Will has mentioned multiple times that he wants to/already has plans to do another i.am.FIRST special next year which just confirms the reason of Bill stating in one of his blogs that the field setup will remain the same at Championships. This means another stage but I hope its not the Black Eyed Peas (not that i dont like them) so that it doesnt become repetitive every year.

I think that will.i.am may be one of the best things to ever happen to FIRST. Great show.

#134   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Parent/Mentor/Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra
FRC #0228 (GUS)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2003
skimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond repute

First I have to congratulate Will.I.Am. He definitely lived up to his promise to make FIRST loud. There should be no questioning his commitment to FIRST now. All of the CD speculation after the Superbowl on whether that really was a FIRST logo on his headgear has been answered. Thank you again Will.

The special may not have appealed to some hardcore FIRSTers, but that wasn't the target audience. I think the program portrayed FIRST in a great light for those who know nothing about us. Having attended Championships and the concert, I was amazed by how much I missed seeing it live. It was great to be able to relive the whole experience. While you may feel that the special showed too much of the concert, that will bring in more students, mentors, educators, and more sponsors, and that music was what made this television event possible.

My only down side was that an hour just wasn't enough to cover everything. There was very little coverage of JFLL and FLL. I know these programs are robust and well established, but an interest story on at least the Champion's Award team would have been great. That's what I felt was missed most: Recognition for the Champion's Award (FLL), Inspire Award (FTC Hall of Fame), Chairman's Award (FRC Hall of Fame) teams, and at least some mention of the Dean's List Winners group. I think that would have helped complete the picture of what FIRST is all about. Those teams and students that "get" FIRST. Everyone loves the winners, but Dean has always said its not about the robot, so show what FIRST is about.

I also wish ABC/Disney had more belief in the project. They had a splash page on the ABC website, but I only saw three commercials promoting the special. Two on CNN the night before, and one on ABC Sunday morning of the show. So, I too would like to see the ratings for the show, I hope the numbers will encourage ABC or other networks to believe in FIRST and not just allow the program as a Will.I.Am personal project.

Our team watched the special as a group after our awards ceremony. Was the program successful? Emphatically YES! We all left just as inspired as we would be leaving the Kickoff Presentation each year. I could hear students talking about upcoming projects and other robot related things that they thought would be great to do. I heard parents, mentors, and alumni talking about the upcoming year and what's inspired them to volunteer and stay volunteered in FIRST.

Inspired... Yup, that's what the show was all about.

2009 CT Regional Motorola Quality Award
2010 VRC Connecticut Championship Winners & Amaze Award
2010 VRC Championship Divisional Energy Award
2010 WPI Regional Winner
2010 WPI Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2011 WPI Regional Chairman's Award
2012 WPI Regional Finalists
  #135   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Waiting for the storm
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
"That's a FIRST sponsor! That's another FIRST sponsor! That's a FIRST sponsor!"
I'm not sure if everyone knows that will.i.am paid for the airtime from his own pocket. "The preceding was paid programming", just like the Sham-Wow infomercial. Perhaps he made a few dollars back selling those advertisements, probably not. Consider that ALL the pre-show publicity on TV was paid advertising as well.

What do you think an hour on ABC costs at 7pm on a Sunday night?

I thank will.i.am for producing and delivering this program. FIRST got a huge boost tonight. You can't buy this kind of stuff.

You know, I've been listening to will.i.am a lot lately, and my opinion of him goes up a lot every time I hear him speak. This guy is smart, really smart. If this entertainment thing doesn't work out, he has a future in engineering.

*All comments are mine and do not represent my place of employment*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: