OCCRA
Go to Post We were the "oooh, neat, fire!" robot that year. - pfreivald [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2006, 10:03 PM
24 Hours of LeMons?
FRC #0100 (WHS&CHS Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
NoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to NoodleKnight
Determining screw/thread size

Is it possible to do without a thread gauge?
Like, could I use calipers to figure out a certain dimension then plug it into a formula to get the answer i'm looking for (like for determining gear pitch).
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2006, 10:16 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Determining screw/thread size

American (unified national) threads are given as [Bolt Size]-[Thread Pitch] [Thread Series], so for a given screw (e.g. #10-32 UNC), you can look up the dimensions and measure with calipers. Pitch is in threads per inch.

Metric threads are given as M[Bolt Size] for coarse (standard) bolts, or M[Bolt Size][Thread Pitch] for fine or irregular bolts. Dimensions are here. Pitch is in mm per thread.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2006, 10:22 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

There actually is a formula for determining pitch diameter of macine screws, although that doesn't do a person a whole lot of good (and I don't remember what it is). But yeah, just look up OD on a chart and measure with calipers.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2006, 01:24 AM
24 Hours of LeMons?
FRC #0100 (WHS&CHS Robotics)

NoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud ofNoodleKnight has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to NoodleKnight

Tristan,

When you say bolt size, would that be the bolt's diameter?

Thanks for your help, guys.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2006, 01:35 AM

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

It would be the bolt's number or major diameter. Bolts below 1/4" are measured by numbers (up to the number 12). Each number corresponds to a diameter (by reference chart, probably created by ANSI). Bolts 1/4" and over are usually specified by fractional (like 7/16"), whole (1"), or mixed (1 1/2") number. It should be noted that there is such thing as a #0 screw, a #00 screw, and I believe even a #000 screw (not positive on that last one though).

Also, a thread designation is typically followed by thread class. There are six thread classes 1A, 2A, 3A which apply to external threads and 1B, 2B, 3B which apply to internal threads. 1 is a loose fitting thread, for ease of assembly or use in a dirty environment. 2 is the most common thread fit. A slight amount of dirt will not jam it up but too much will. 3 is a close tolerance thread fit meant for precision and clean environments.

Last edited by sanddrag : 08-01-2006 at 01:42 AM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
is getting his kicks.
AKA: Mark Kramarczyk
FRC #3096 (Highlanders)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
kramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, #000 exists with 120 TPI.

Looking them up on www.McMaster-Carr.com is a fast way to find the basic dimensions. For more details consider picking up a copy of the Machinery's Handbook, now in it's 27th edition. I recommend the large type version. It's got more information than you'll ever need on mechanical stuff if you take the time to look through it. Although, at $60 from amazon it may be better off as a team expense.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Waiting for the storm
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Screws come even smaller, #0000 - 160 at Small Parts.They're about $4 each, and made by elves.

So, to elaborate on Tristan's explanation: First measure the bolt's outside diameter, then measure the distance between thread ridges (I usually measure 10 and divide, better accuracy), then measure the length from the bottom of the head to the end.

The diameter won't be exact, but pretty close to the bolt "dimension" - for example a 1/2" bolt might measure just a bit under 0.500. Then threads per inch, then length. Specify the head style and material, and there's little else to describe it by. (Actually, you can classify it further by strength and thread finish. But that's all there is, I think)

After a while, you can tell by looking at it. If you have an extra $10, go to the hardware store and ask to buy one of each size bolt (pick a common length, like 1 inch), as you keep them around you'll get used to the sizes. Then you can sort all those bolts in that old coffee can....

Don

*All comments are mine and do not represent my employer*
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2006, 09:26 PM

Today I was quite impressed to find that one of my local hardware stores carried #0, #1, and even #3 fasteners (in stainless). Usually they'll go #2, #4, etc.
Only one store (OSH) carries #5 though, and the longest they go is 3/4". I've been having a heck of a time finding a #5-40x1" locally. I'll probably just have to order it.

#5 really should be carried by more stores because its major diameter is about .125, perfect to go in a 1/8" bearing.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:35 AM
no team (Synergy)

Rookie Year: 2001
Dick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dick Linn

I saw some company that sold small screws and taps. I recall that one of the 0000 precision taps with 160 threads per inch was around $75. Ouch! Of course, another place had the same size tap for $3.50.

Proud father of Marine LCpl. Karl R. Linn
Co-founder Team 975
KIA, Iraq 1/26/2005
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2006, 02:46 PM
wow college goes fast.
AKA: Alex
FRC #1024 (Kil-A-Bytes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Qbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond repute

Why all the small screws???

Smallest i like to use on machines is 5-40 if i need to push it, 6-32 is as small as i like to go.

On the machinery's handbook note, its a definite must for any machinist or mechanical designer. I use it tons everyday at work. Has everything from horsepower calculations to roller chain sprocket profile construction to threading.... even heat treating and such. The copy i use is old, from the early 80's, its the 26th edition. I don't know how much they can change about it though, has most everything you'd want to know.

-Q
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

Why not get a bunch of nuts of known size and find the one that fits?

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Mentor / Bayou & CMP Division LRI
FRC #0456 (Siege Robotics)

ChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond repute

For more information than you ever wanted to know about nuts and bolts check out Fastenal's 62 page Technical Reference Guide:

http://www.fastenal.com/content/docu...renceGuide.pdf

Edit: Oh yeah, they also have a neat poster you can get from your local store that has all sorts of fastener information (sizes, grades, head types, etc.). It's a nice quick reference to hang on the wall in your robot shop.

Last edited by ChuckDickerson : 08-09-2006 at 12:27 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy125
Why not get a bunch of nuts of known size and find the one that fits?
Mostly because nuts of several different sizes and/or thread pitches can be made to go on a given bolt, but only one of them will hold properly in practice. There are also screws with no matching nut.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbranch

Smallest i like to use on machines is 5-40 if i need to push it, 6-32 is as small as i like to go.

On the machinery's handbook note, its a definite must for any machinist or mechanical designer. I use it tons everyday at work. Has everything from horsepower calculations to roller chain sprocket profile construction to threading.... even heat treating and such. The copy i use is old, from the early 80's, its the 26th edition. I don't know how much they can change about it though, has most everything you'd want to know.

-Q
Size your screws for their purpose.

If all you are doing is holding down a small piece of sheet matal that is not expected to see any sheer force then using a 2-56 screw is fine, and may even be preferrable considering weight and size requirements.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Waiting for the storm
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbranch
Merely because a #0000-160 screw is just so COOL. Other than that, they are a pain, expensive, weak (and as you get older, hard to see...)

Don

*All comments are mine and do not represent my employer*
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: