OCCRA
Go to Post If you are old then our lead mentor is ancient. Oh wait, he is. Oh wait, that makes me ancienter. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2018, 12:17 PM
no team

murdomeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Spark motor controllers in series or parallel?

I have a drive with two CIM motors on each side attached to a dual cim input gearbox. I have 4 SPARK motor controllers.

Each side of the drive has the same signal with a Y-cable
Someone mentioned there might be issues putting them in parallel due to different internal resistances of the motors (manufacturer tolerance) and it will be putting constant strain on the motors because one is slightly going faster.

What do you guys normally do? Or is this considered negligible?

Thanks in advance
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2018, 12:21 PM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spark motor controllers in series or parallel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdomeek View Post
I have a drive with two CIM motors on each side attached to a dual cim input gearbox. I have 4 SPARK motor controllers.

Someone mentioned there might be issues putting them in parallel due to different internal resistances of the motors (manufacturer tolerance) and it will be putting constant strain on the motors because one is slightly going faster.

What do you guys normally do? Or is this considered negligible?

Thanks in advance
It is standard practice to put the motors in parallel when using them in the configuration you described. (One Spark per motor, two motors per transmission.)
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you're talking about the power wires: Wiring the motors in series would not comply with the rules (only one CIM per motor controller [R36], only one motor controller per breaker [R38]). Even if you aren't interested in the rules, this isn't a good idea. Wired in series, each motor would only get ~6V at full throttle instead of ~12V, reducing the top speed by 50%, the torque of each motor by 50%, and peak power by 75% compared to wired in parallel.

If you mean the splitting of the PWM wires to the SPARKs, parallel is again the way to go. Splitting the SPARK PWM voltage in half would PROBABLY work, but it would put you a lot closer to the tolerance values for those inputs, and therefore be less reliable.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 07-16-2018 at 01:25 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
Assuming you're talking about the power wires: Wiring the motors in series would not comply with the rules (only one CIM per motor controller, only one motor controller per breaker). Even if you aren't interested in the rules, this isn't a good idea. Wired in series, each motor would only get ~6V at full throttle instead of ~12V, reducing the top speed by 50%, the torque of each motor by 50%, and peak power by 75% compared to wired in parallel.

If you mean the splitting of the PWM wires to the SPARKs, parallel is again the way to go. Splitting the SPARK PWM voltage in half would PROBABLY work, but it would put you a lot closer to the tolerance values for those inputs, and therefore be less reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
OP is fairly clear that he isn't asking about power wiring but instead putting the motors in parallel mechanically.

The answer to OPs question is simply, yes, the difference is negligible. Unless one motor has catastrophically failed then combining two identical or nearly identical (in the case of a mini cim+cim) is totally fine as long as your controlling them identically (like the Y PWM splitter you've suggested).
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdomeek View Post
In short, this isn't really a thing when matching identical motors.

As long as a motor is not being forced to spin higher than its free speed, it is contributing meaningful torque. As the motors are identical, and since the motors are always experiencing some load (internal friction in the gearbox, at least), they will always be running at less than free speed.

The concern someone may have been talking about is when you match different motors together in a gearbox configuration where one motor is forced to run above its free speed - at which point that motor does not produce any torque at all. But this is fairly hard to do in FRC applications and essentially impossible to accidentally do just by mixing CIMs and/or miniCIMs together.

In short, you are totally fine using a Y cable - those motors should always be receiving the same command anyway.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2018, 04:29 PM
no team

murdomeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great.

Thanks for the clarification guys!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: