Go to Post Inventing rocks. I think we've all learned that through FIRST. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Take it easy 36 22.78%
Try to win 122 77.22%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 11:56 AM

ric2006 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hypothetical Situation

No matter the situation, you should never give up. We had a bad luck situation at nats. Against the #1 tewice. We could have given upl, giving 93 the #1 spot (they were undefeated) they were cosidering us as a 2nd round pick. We aren't really close as teams, btu we still played our best, knocking them to #5
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Just Browsing
AKA: ryan albright
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Albright Send a message via AIM to Ryan Albright Send a message via MSN to Ryan Albright Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan Albright

Do not go easy on them. This is the same thing as throwing a match. Remember last year when there was alot of talk about "setting up matches" (sorry cant remeber the exact name we used last year) were the teams agreeed to leave each other's stacks alone and then just fight for the top. If you did this in any other sport you would be banned from that sport for life, it has happen in baseball many of times. IF they want to be in 1st place then they will win, but give them a run for their money
2005 Championship Safety advisor
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Renegade of Funk
AKA: Paul Huston
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2003
Paul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Paul H

This happened to us in Detroit. Now we weren't in 50th, we were in 12th or so, and Chief Delphi (47) was in the top 5 I think. We really wanted to pair up with them, they had a bot that perfectly complimented ours. We played them in qualifying. A friend of mine from the Juggernauts (1) came up to me and said "hey, are you gonna let them win?" I think others probably thought that was the case too. Well, we went out, played them, and beat them. We never play to lose, or even go easy. We play our best every match.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely and unequivocally, NO!
Here is a real world problem though (along the lines)...A team on Saturday morning has lost it's drive team. They are somewhere on the road but no one knows where. Team### asks for teams to put up a drive team until their drivers arrive. You are lucky enough to have a backup drive crew to drive for them only to find out that in their second match, they are against you. What do you do? What do you do?
www.wildstang.org
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

HECK NO! FIRST is still a competiton. Anything less than that is disrespectful for those who tired their hardest and won, and it's also disrespectful for the sister team (not only to mention opening the avenu of "Well, they just lost since they get helped by that team...")

We had a similar occurence during last year's Champs. We didn't do as well as VCU or Annapolis, and we moved are way up to 8th place by winning our last match by just a little. We picked our alliance partners and then lost in the quarter finals. Neddless to say, we found that another team we were very good friends with were going to pick us, and they ended up doing very well. Should we have thrown our last match to get them to pick us? No. It's disrespectful for our alliance parter, our opponents, and all the teams who won fair and square.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2004, 05:03 PM
no team

Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz
Here is a real world problem though (along the lines)...A team on Saturday morning has lost it's drive team. They are somewhere on the road but no one knows where. Team### asks for teams to put up a drive team until their drivers arrive. You are lucky enough to have a backup drive crew to drive for them only to find out that in their second match, they are against you. What do you do? What do you do?
Definately play to win. I feel it is wrong to play to lose, even if you alliance agrees/wants that. The point of the game is lost. It then turns into politics. We should definately avoid it. Moreover, whats the big deal? I mean if we play to lose, arent we losers?(Unless in a special situation, not this).
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2004, 05:04 PM
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz
answer to question #1: fight hard...always play to win

answer to question #2: hope that they get there before you have to play your second match (the one against them) and if they don't...hope that you designed your robot better than they did and hope that your "backup" operating crew shows why they are "backup" (and the hp missing some shots would help you out too)
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Fold em oval!
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Max Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Max Lobovsky

I don't mean to start another heated argument, but I'd like to just mention that this might be equated to collaboration between teams (on a large scale, think 254-60 scale). Sacrifices are made all the time in FIRST for the greater goal.

2005 NYC Regional - 2nd seed, Xerox Creativity Award, Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Chesapeake Regional - Engineering Inspiration Award
2004 Chesapeake Regional - Rookie Inspiration award
2004 NJ Regional - Team Spirit Award
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2004, 10:26 PM
I come through in a spinsch
AKA: George
FRC #0011 (MORT)

George A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond repute

I hate reiterate what other people are saying, but if the team wants #1 bad enough then they will win. An example of this would be this past year at the Palmetto Regional. We (11) finished 5th overall and was picked by team 281 to ally with them. We accepted. Later on in the allaince selections the team that we mentored (1302) was picked by the number 8 seed. Next thing you know we are playing each other in the finals! They won the first match and we had to win the second. Things got screwy because one of their partners was broken so they decided to put in team 95, but they had already declared that it would be team 1302 and their other partner (i forget the #), but if we wanted to play by the rulebook verbatim then since the robots had already been introduced the match was considered started. We were left with 2 options. Play the game with 1302 and 95 and hope we won to force a third match, or force them to put in their disabled robot and basically guarantee ourselves the win. In the spirit of GP we chose the first option. We won the second match and by time that match was over their third partner was working. We then went onto the 3rd match and wound up winning. We could've gone easy on them and let them win, granted this is a little more extreme than the number one seed, but its the same principle. PLAY TO WIN!!!
Game Announcer NY: 2005-2008
Game Announcer Champsionships: 2005-2008

#25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Reslife/FIRST/Disneyland Junkie
None #1212 (The Holy Hamsters)

jpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jpsaul7usa

No, only in one situation would that be acceptable.

In Atlanta (Newton) we were moving up into the 20s after a rough start and our ally 585 from AZ this year had been in the top 8 the entire competition. Our last match was against them and if we won we would finish in the mid 20s and they would definitely be bumped out of the top 8. A few people suggested we could make an agreement with them but that idea was shot down almost immediately. We wanted to prove ourselves and play our best, and also we thought that throwing a match would be very underhanded. The only reason why the idea came up is because we were desperate to recover from out tie and loss in our first two rounds because our on-the-spot rebuilt arm didn't quite reach the bar all the way. We didn't like the idea one bit. We ended up finishing 23rd in Newton and 585 22nd. Personally, I like that we finished together. It's too bad neither of us got to finals, but getting to Atlanta was plenty of fun in itself.

The only time I'd say you should throw a game is when you and your ally both have broken bots, are out of the competition, you both like the other two teams a lot, and want them to go to finals. Then you don't shoot, let their shooters score a ball, and let their drivers practice some fancy moves for elims.
2004 AZ Regional Leadership in Control Award, AZ Regional Champion (Woohoo! Thanks 330 and 585!!!), Newton 23rd Seed
2005 AZ Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award, AZ Regional Finalist (Thanks 991 and 987!!!)

The Holy Hamster Motto: It's only temporary... unless it works.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2004, 12:34 PM
"Can I touch your hair?"
AKA: Becca
#0870 (Team RICE)
Team Role: Operator

RiceRobotica will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to RiceRobotica Send a message via MSN to RiceRobotica

If the teams were that close to eachother, then it would definately be a sticky situation. But, FIRST is the only sort of competition that I've seen where somebody can win and the opponents can be genuinely happy for them.

As strategist, I would plan to play the game and play it well. I'd tell my team to do their best. I'd play the strengths of my own robot and team to the weaknesses of the other. I'd hope for the best, but I don't think I could be disappointed either way.

I wouldn't be disappointed because, in the long run, it wouldn't matter who wins. We would still care about eachother as teams, no matter what. The teams would always hope for the other to continue on in the finals. It would pride in the work of a friend.

Both situations, no matter which was chosen, would be best because the teams are able to share in the excitement of it all.

Machinist and Strategist/Drive Team Mentor

870 Team RICE

2003 UTC New England Regional Johnson & Johnson Sportsmanship Award winners
2003 SPBLI Regional Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Entrepreneurship Award winners
2003 SPBLI Regional Champions
2004 SPBLI Xerox Creativity Award winners
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2004, 05:01 PM
dpl
AKA: M/C Cord
no team

Amanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to allAmanda M is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlobovsky
I don't mean to start another heated argument, but I'd like to just mention that this might be equated to collaboration between teams (on a large scale, think 254-60 scale). Sacrifices are made all the time in FIRST for the greater goal.

Er... I am completely confused. I have no idea what this has to do with 60 & 254 working together...

In fact, this thread is not really about collaboration. It's more of a collusion thread in disguise. Of course, not that that's a bad thing. It's perfectly acceptable to talk about.

And I still think I'd never go easy on them.

Close your eyes, look up at the sky, and keep dancing barefoot against the wind...
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:26 PM

ric2006 is on a distinguished road

i would go easy if i knew i would get picked. Getting to the next sstage is the most important thing. Sorry, everyone but i am feeling quite ambitious
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:34 PM
FRC #0004 (Team 4 ELEMENT)

Ali Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmed is a splendid one to behold

I would not go easy on them becuase if they were able to goet in &th place they must be preety good even though their alliance is not. For example, most of our matches were played with teams that were not very good and we still scored 100+ points. Every team should play to the best of their abilities.

Student: Team 22
Mentor: Team 4

#30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:40 PM
AKA: Aaron Bradshaw
#0900 (Team Infinity)

Rookie Year: 2004
aaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to aaronbr28040

In going easy you are not being fair to your own team or the other team. I feel that if you give the match to them then your own team has let itself down and you have been unfair to the rest of the teams in the competition. I dont think you should harm their robot, but once you go on the field for competition you can't let your alliance down. What if that match was the one that decided whether your alliance partner would have gotten picked for the finals matches? You never know what implications giving up will have on your alliance partner. I dont think that it looks good on your team or the team you are helping to win if you just give up. Thats just my opinion.
-Aaron
AIM:aaronbr28040

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: