OCCRA
Go to Post Mountain Dew and Taco Bell. Nom Nom Nom. - R.C. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 08:44 AM
risho900 risho900 is offline
Registered User
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Rookie Year: 2015
Location: East Brunswick
Posts: 144
risho900 will become famous soon enough
Shooter Turrets

I've seen some robots where the shooters are able to rotate independently. How is this done? Like is it done using custom machined parts or is there some COTS parts that can be used or combined for the same effect? Thanks for any answers!
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 09:45 AM
SenorZ's Avatar
SenorZ SenorZ is offline
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Posts: 1,386
SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrents

Turrets can be tricky. My team has never made one because we didn't want to take on the challenge. But many do.

Here is one turret from Team 3880: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/45589

You can see it is a custom chain driven shooter assembly.

Here is a video from Triple Helix showing a similar design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AV4Tij1c5I
__________________
2013-present: FRC Team 4276, Surf City Vikings
2011-2012: FRC Team 3677, The Don Bots
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Jon Stratis's Avatar
Jon Stratis Jon Stratis is online now
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Rookie Year: 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,054
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrents

They can be made with custom parts, but many are made by actuating a Lazy Susan. They can be difficult to build right, and you need to make sure your mechanisms weight is centered over them or they can (and will) pull apart. A few years ago I saw a rookie team build an awesome, and tall, mechanism on top of a lazy susan. Halfway through the event, it pulled apart and dropped a hundred or so ball bearings right into the middle of their robot.

In addition to the increased complexity of a lazy susan compared to a stationary mechanism, they can be difficult to aim properly. If you are good with vision tracking, aiming becomes a lot simpler. Otherwise, you drive to where you want to shoot, and then need to rotate the shooter to aim properly. Doing so may help if someone is playing defense against you, preventing your robot from turning towards the target, but otherwise you might as well just turn the robot properly.

If you go this route, I would highly recommend planning on fixed angles. For example, with Stronghold it may have been advantageous to have a shooter that could shoot forward, left 90 degrees, and right 90 degrees. That way you can line up facing the tower, or just run into the driver station wall and shoot sideways into it.
__________________
LRI: North Star 2012-2016; Lake Superior 2013-2014; MN State Tournament 2013-2014, 2016-2018; Iowa 2017; Northern Lights 2018; Great Northern 2018
Division LRI: Galileo 2016; Tesla 2017; Archimedes 2018
2015: North Star Regional Volunteer of the Year
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 11:15 AM
nuclearnerd's Avatar
nuclearnerd nuclearnerd is offline
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Rookie Year: 2014
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 858
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrents

One of the best places I've found to answer questions like this is Spectrum 3847's amazing robot mechanism gallery: https://photos.spectrum3847.org/Robo...s/2017/Turret/
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 01:36 PM
GeeTwo GeeTwo is offline
In Transition
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Rookie Year: 2013
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 5,909
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrents

We did a turret our rookie year using a lazy susan, bringing the ball up through the hole in the bearing. We found out that lazy susan bearings are not designed to take the lateral forces of launching.

We haven't done a turret on a competition robot since, as we've never felt the cost of a real turret bearing (either in $$ for COTS or time for custom) was worth the return. Our air cannon has alternated over the years between turreted and non-turreted design, but none have passed the ammunition through the bearing. One turreted iteration was a TB-mini oriented with the output shaft pointing up. The one we're building now is being implemented with galvanized plumbing and a bronze thrust bearing (washer).

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman172000 View Post
..you may need a slip ring..
All of our turrets have had a limited range of travel (typically 270 degrees) so we didn't need slip rings. Assuming you go this path, routing wires (and hoses) near the center of rotation will allow the greatest amount of rotation for a given amount of slack in the umbilical.
__________________

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 07-30-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 01:47 PM
tanman172000's Avatar
tanman172000 tanman172000 is offline
I represent my views, not my team's
AKA: Tanner Duncan
FRC #5460 (Strike Zone)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Rookie Year: 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 68
tanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nice
*Shooter Turrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post

Here is one turret from Team 3880: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/45589

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AV4Tij1c5I[/url]
My team built a very simular turret to this design in 2017. I do not have any picutures to show but we modeled it heavily off of 125's turret design that year. Our turret didn't use any ball bearings and just spun on a sheet of poly-carb. if memory serves me correctly we didn't have so much of a problem with the turret hood, but the management of wires. Depending on where you run your wires you may need a slip ring or the wires will just bind up and disconnect or snap.
__________________
FRC Team: 5460:Alumni
2015: Founder, Safety Captain, Rookie All Star Award (FIM-Lansing), District Finalist (FIM-Lansing), Highest Rookie Seed (FIM-Lansing)
2016: Lead Mechanical, Operator, District Finalist (FIM-Kettering #1), Industrial Design Award (FIM-Kettering #1), District Finalist (FIM-Lansing), Creativity Award (FIM-Lansing), District Championship Finalist (MSC)
2017: Team Captain, Driver, Excellence in Engineering Award (FIM Kettering #1), District Winner (FIM-Troy), Judges' Award (FIM-Troy)
2018: Team Captain, Driver, District Finalist (FIM-Troy), Quality Award (FIM-Troy), Innovation in Control Award (MSC)

Reply With Quote
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 02:26 PM
NerdRage's Avatar
NerdRage NerdRage is offline
Student Captain
AKA: Aaron Fang
FRC #3863 (Pantherbotics)
Team Role: Student
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Rookie Year: 2016
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 96
NerdRage has a spectacular aura aboutNerdRage has a spectacular aura aboutNerdRage has a spectacular aura about
Re: Shooter Turrents

There's an alternative to using lazy susan bearings, which 148 and 254 employed in 2017 and 2016, respectively. The approach is to use a stacked set of bearings spaced along a circle, with one bearing being a slightly smaller diameter. The larger bearings take the thrust loads, while the smaller bearings take the radial loads. I'm pretty terrible at explaining, but here's a picture snapped from 148's 2017 CAD. Hopefully this helps clarify some things.





It seems to me that this implementation is potentially more flexible, assuming you have the machining capabilities to pull it off. You would drive this mechanism the same way as you would with any other turret, that being a custom machined gear or sprocket driven by a 550 or BAG motor.
__________________
FIRST Stronghold - LA Regional Judge's Award & Semifinalists, Ventura Regional Semifinalists
FIRST Steamworks - Orange County Quarterfinalists
FIRST Power Up - LA Regional Quarterfinalists, Ventura Regional Semifinalists
Reply With Quote
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Jon Stratis's Avatar
Jon Stratis Jon Stratis is online now
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Rookie Year: 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,054
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: *Shooter Turrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman172000 View Post
My team built a very simular turret to this design in 2017. I do not have any picutures to show but we modeled it heavily off of 125's turret design that year. Our turret didn't use any ball bearings and just spun on a sheet of poly-carb. if memory serves me correctly we didn't have so much of a problem with the turret hood, but the management of wires. Depending on where you run your wires you may need a slip ring or the wires will just bind up and disconnect or snap.
Be careful with slip rings. It's hard to find ones appropriately rated, and you need to make sure they don't contain mercury (which is common!) per the blue box under R08. It's better (cheaper, quicker, and even easier) to limit the range of motion and build in wire management to work with it.
__________________
LRI: North Star 2012-2016; Lake Superior 2013-2014; MN State Tournament 2013-2014, 2016-2018; Iowa 2017; Northern Lights 2018; Great Northern 2018
Division LRI: Galileo 2016; Tesla 2017; Archimedes 2018
2015: North Star Regional Volunteer of the Year
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
Reply With Quote
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Tom Line's Avatar
Tom Line Tom Line is offline
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Rookie Year: 1999
Location: Armada, Michigan
Posts: 3,164
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrets

These are a fairly common bearing to use on turrets:

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Al...+susan+bearing
Reply With Quote
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2018, 04:26 PM
GeeTwo GeeTwo is offline
In Transition
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Rookie Year: 2013
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 5,909
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Line View Post
These are a fairly common bearing to use on turrets:

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Al...+susan+bearing
Wow, that price point would have opened some design doors in 2016, and for our air cannon.
__________________

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
Reply With Quote
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2018, 08:44 AM
philso philso is offline
Mentor
no team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,676
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
They can be made with custom parts, but many are made by actuating a Lazy Susan. They can be difficult to build right, and you need to make sure your mechanisms weight is centered over them or they can (and will) pull apart. A few years ago I saw a rookie team build an awesome, and tall, mechanism on top of a lazy susan. Halfway through the event, it pulled apart and dropped a hundred or so ball bearings right into the middle of their robot.

In addition to the increased complexity of a lazy susan compared to a stationary mechanism, they can be difficult to aim properly. If you are good with vision tracking, aiming becomes a lot simpler. Otherwise, you drive to where you want to shoot, and then need to rotate the shooter to aim properly. Doing so may help if someone is playing defense against you, preventing your robot from turning towards the target, but otherwise you might as well just turn the robot properly.

If you go this route, I would highly recommend planning on fixed angles. For example, with Stronghold it may have been advantageous to have a shooter that could shoot forward, left 90 degrees, and right 90 degrees. That way you can line up facing the tower, or just run into the driver station wall and shoot sideways into it.

Most of the discussion in this thread has been about the mechanical aspects. Jon brings up the control/aiming of the turret that makes the turret useful. The OP needs to research this aspect of the turret too. I took some students through the pits at Houston Champs in 2016 to study a curated list of some of the best performing robot designs. A few of these had turrets, all of which relied on sophisticated control/aiming systems. For every effective turret system, we saw many more (5-6 X) fuel shooters that did not use a turret.
Reply With Quote
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2018, 12:31 PM
RonnieS's Avatar
RonnieS RonnieS is offline
DesignFlo Inc.
AKA: Ronnie Sherrer
no team
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Rookie Year: 2006
Location: Flint
Posts: 422
RonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond reputeRonnieS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrets

Look into plastics and oil -embedded material. Depending on the weight of of the mechanism, materials can ride on each other. A way to machine flat parts always helps but you can get stuff done with good templates and a bandsaw. The biggest thing is doing one before season.

-Ronnie
__________________
Robots are more fun than adulting
Reply With Quote
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2018, 12:46 PM
wgorgen's Avatar
wgorgen wgorgen is offline
Registered User
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Rookie Year: 2014
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Posts: 134
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold
Re: Shooter Turrents

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
Most of the discussion in this thread has been about the mechanical aspects. Jon brings up the control/aiming of the turret that makes the turret useful. The OP needs to research this aspect of the turret too. I took some students through the pits at Houston Champs in 2016 to study a curated list of some of the best performing robot designs. A few of these had turrets, all of which relied on sophisticated control/aiming systems. For every effective turret system, we saw many more (5-6 X) fuel shooters that did not use a turret.
For stronghold, 1501 had a great turret shooter on their robot. We got to see it in week 1 here in NC and then again at Worlds. They had made some changes but the overall system was largely unchanged. They had a really good control aiming system and could shoot from just about anywhere on the field. Thy also had good feedback to the drivers with a series of LED lights that would let the drivers know when they had a boulder, when they had acquitted the target, etc.

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/43187

We have talked about adapting our swerve module integrated bearing design to a turret shooter - basically upsizing the ball bearing ring to be big enough for the game piece to fit through. Those conversations always end the same way - we have swerve drive, so the whole robot is the turret. Consequently, we have never done it. Still, it would be fun to try.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2018, 05:35 PM
Chris_Elston's Avatar
Chris_Elston Chris_Elston is offline
Controls Engineer
AKA: chakorules
FRC #1501 (Team THRUST)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Rookie Year: 2001
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 820
Chris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shooter Turrents

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgorgen View Post
For stronghold, 1501 had a great turret shooter on their robot. We got to see it in week 1 here in NC and then again at Worlds. They had made some changes but the overall system was largely unchanged. They had a really good control aiming system and could shoot from just about anywhere on the field. Thy also had good feedback to the drivers with a series of LED lights that would let the drivers know when they had a boulder, when they had acquitted the target, etc.

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/43187
We just used 25-chain on the edge of 1/8 aluminium sheet because we don't have access to a water-jet to cut teeth in it. In this picture the chain was not on the pulleys probably because software was working on it still at that time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teamth...7663246998214/

Couple videos:
Bottom LED was boulder loaded, Middle LED was shooter up to speed, Top LED was turret locked. All three had to be lit up before controls would allow the driver to shoot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teamth...7668197391874/

Video to show results of filtering on field.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teamth...7668197391874/

One of the Einstein videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=44vR85rBOWs

For wgorgen:
Pictures from NC! We had so much fun! You brought back some good memories.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teamth...57665604742935
__________________
Team T.H.R.U.S.T. 1501
Download all of our past robot's source code here:Repository
Reply With Quote
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2018, 07:27 PM
wgorgen's Avatar
wgorgen wgorgen is offline
Registered User
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Rookie Year: 2014
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Posts: 134
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold
Re: Shooter Turrents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Elston View Post
We just used 25-chain on the edge of 1/8 aluminium sheet because we don't have access to a water-jet to cut teeth in it. In this picture the chain was not on the pulleys probably because software was working on it still at that time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teamth...7663246998214/

Couple videos:
Bottom LED was boulder loaded, Middle LED was shooter up to speed, Top LED was turret locked. All three had to be lit up before controls would allow the driver to shoot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teamth...7668197391874/

Video to show results of filtering on field.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teamth...7668197391874/

One of the Einstein videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=44vR85rBOWs
I remember that chain drive on the turret. So cool. That design was really great. I remember when I figured out (about halfway through quals) what the LED light strips were signaling. Very smart.

It was great to watch you guys on Einstein that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Elston View Post
For wgorgen:
Pictures from NC! We had so much fun! You brought back some good memories.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teamth...57665604742935
Ha! I remember you guys using our signs to block the sunlight to help your vision system. Good times. Hope you guys come back down to NC one of these years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi