OCCRA
Go to Post Focus on solving the problem, not on being deliberately creative. If you effectively solve the problem, creativity is naturally leveraged as part of finding a great solution. - Jim Zondag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 12:31 PM
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
risho900 has a spectacular aura aboutrisho900 has a spectacular aura about
Socket Head Screws

Just wondering where these are used other than shaft collars. Also, what are the most common sizes and lengths a teams should have?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Re: Socket Head Screws

Oh just remembered they're also used in gearboxes. So in addition to apart from shaft collars, where else are they used?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

For us... everywhere. 1/4-20 and 10-32's mostly, but 8-32, 6-32, and 4-40 have their uses on the smaller side, as does 5/16-18 on the larger. For lengths... anywhere from 1/2" to 3.5" depending on the application. We stock many sizes of each, which lets us use the proper length for whatever we're doing. We do use flat heads at times, but unless you need that sort of clearance, it's not worth the work. Button heads can also be useful, falling between socket head and flat head in terms of profile. We use buttons for anything that sticks down towards the carpet on the bottom of the robot, or on the bottom of mechanisms that could touch the carpet - it's much safer from a "snag" perspective than a socket head.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 12:43 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I have used them pretty much anywhere and everywhere. They’re screws, and often it’s easier and more space efficient to design with them than hex head screws.

That would include assembly of custom parts, assembly of COTS parts, sometimes as a pivot or shaft when a shoulder screw is a problem. Another good use is shaft retention, though often a button head makes more sense.

Is there a reason why you’re asking about where they’re used?

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 12:46 PM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
For us... everywhere.
+1
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadandcookies View Post
Personally, I have used them pretty much anywhere and everywhere. They’re screws, and often it’s easier and more space efficient to design with them than hex head screws.

That would include assembly of custom parts, assembly of COTS parts, sometimes as a pivot or shaft when a shoulder screw is a problem. Another good use is shaft retention, though often a button head makes more sense.

Is there a reason why you’re asking about where they’re used?
It's because I'm trying to figure out what screws I need to buy. My team is investing in more hex head tools like ratchet kits so I'm probably gonna by hex head for main use but for things like shaft collars and gearboxes I want to buy socket head but I'm not sure what sizes and lengths for those. Also, adding on, what about set screw sizes and lengths?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Slave to the bot
AKA: Chad Krause
FRC #7226 (Error 404)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Chadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to behold

We used a mix of metric and SAE, and I highly suggest you don't do that.

My experience in the workplace is all metric fasteners and Inch units (It's weird but it works well). So That's what I tried to do for my team, which lead to much confusion.

Get 1/4-20, all shapes an sizes,
8-32 and 10-32 are also very common,
Higher loads and bigger interfaces you can go all the way up to 1/2-13 or 5/16-18.

Also, don't forget rivets. They held together ~60% of our robot and are nice for tough to reach places (in terms of getting wrenches in tight places)
We used aluminum and steel 3/16" and 1/8" rivets. Aluminum for light loads, steel for higher loads.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Mentor
no team

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
It's because I'm trying to figure out what screws I need to buy. My team is investing in more hex head tools like ratchet kits so I'm probably gonna by hex head for main use but for things like shaft collars and gearboxes I want to buy socket head but I'm not sure what sizes and lengths for those. Also, adding on, what about set screw sizes and lengths?

It would be a good idea to purchase flat washers to put under the heads of the socket cap screws, especially the larger ones such as #10 and 1/4-20. The surface area of the heads is smaller than for other styles (hex head, pan head or button head). When used to fasten softer materials like aluminum or plastic in higher stress applications, I have seen many instances where the heads start "pulling through" the material. A flat washer will spread the forces over a larger area and minimize this.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
Generally speaking, a basic set of allen wrenches are going to cost less than a set of wrenches. Using hex head for your bolts means you need two wrenches to put in a single bolt - the head and the nut. If they're both ratchets, that can lead to some confusion - which one do you flip around when it doesn't work? Using a socket head lets you stick an allen wrench on one side and a wrench on the other. The wrench may be racheted, but then the allen wrench won't be, letting you know which one to flip if you're going the wrong way.

As a bonus, consider bolting a 1x1 extrusion onto a robot. You don't want to have the bolt pass all the way through, with the head on one side and the nut on the other, it'll deform the extrusion when over tightened. So instead you drill a nice big clearance hole on one side, so you can slide the bolt in and have the head inside the tube - no deformation, and nicely secured. However, now you can't get your wrench inside the tube to tighten the bolt! Using a socket head, this isn't a problem, as the allen wrench sticks right out that clearance hole you already have.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 02:02 PM
In Transition
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Even off of robots, I see them everywhere. I just removed ten hard drives from old computers a few hours ago - ~80% of the mounting scres were allen head. Most "crash door" hardware is set and released with a 5/32" allen key (this, not robotics, is why I have one on my key ring).

As Phil and Jon have noted, "cap head" sockets have the smallest heads of headed common threaded fasteners of a given diameter, which can be a blessing when fitting into tight spaces, or a curse when using soft materials. Button head are typically closer to the size of a phillips or flat blade head. Allen requires less contact force for a given torque than either of these.

Also, don't forget set screws! The vast majority of headless screws I've seen have allen sockets. These are great when the head of a screw would get in the way of other motion, or imbalance a rapidly rotating shaft. You find these on shafts, locks, and complex devices like printers and automobiles.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
Also, don't forget set screws! ... You find these on shafts
Ugh, set screws are the worst of hub connections. Use a cross pin, hex or spline broach, taper lock, glue, or like anything else if you you care about reliable or significant loads. I speak from (regrettable, professional) experience.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Slave to the bot
AKA: Chad Krause
FRC #7226 (Error 404)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Chadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to behold

Get an impact driver and a set of hex bits for it too. You'll thank me. Just don't go too hard when you're tightening screws on a tube
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 02:56 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that while it's good to have stock of hardware in hand, until you've been doing it for 20 years, it's not particularly useful in designing and building a custom robot. We spec fasteners by application, and every year we end up buying a substantial amount of hardware that is very particular to that year's robot design. If it we're me, I'd keep the money on-hand and be ready to fire up a McMaster order as soon as I had a robot designed in January.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfrom308 View Post
Get an impact driver and a set of hex bits for it too. You'll thank me. Just don't go too hard when you're tightening screws on a tube
I have to disagree - unless your frame is built of steel, refrain from using an impact whenever possible. Hand tighten all fasteners. The quickest way to make your (aluminum tube) frame suspect is to put an impact into the hands of your pit crew. Especially over the course of an event or two. The only way to prevent this is to have stand-offs inside the tube - and that is nothing but a nightmare!

For allen wrenches, we have found these (both in SAE and Metric, long and short) to be life savors. Purchase two sets of each.

And just note - you will never be able to standardize to a small arrangement of fasteners. It has been tried by many teams better than us, and none have really come out clean. The best way to tackle the problem of 'too many tools/fasteners' is to 5S the shop. 5S along with FMEA has made our pit the most effective and efficient I have seen - last season we were down to less than 5 minutes from robot in to robot out.
"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"

Last edited by Chief Hedgehog : 08-08-2018 at 12:48 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Mentor
no team

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfrom308 View Post

This is an inappropriate tool for those who are untrained and/or inexperienced i.e. students and mentors who don't use them on a daily basis over a long time. It will be very difficult to control with sufficient finesse so that one does not crush tubes and other soft materials and is not necessary for the relatively small fasteners used in FRC. It will make the issue I raised about socket head screws worse. Many of the current Vexpro gearboxes are molded plastic and use socket cap screws. They are particularly vulnerable to being permanently damaged from overtightened screws.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: