Go to Post Shooting is easy. Aiming is hard. :p - GreyingJay [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2004, 06:41 PM
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2000
Pierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of lightPierson is a glorious beacon of light
Re: FIRST Competition Entry Fee Increases for 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinkel Y.
There's one question, should there be a cap of how much money one team can recieve from their sponsors? And if sponsors are willing to give more money, should the money over the cap be given to FIRST and be evenly spread across to regionals and/or other FIRST expenses?
Wouldn’t it be rather hard to enforce this? Do you have a variable “capping” system based on the number of team members and mentors that each team has? How do you prove the real number of members and mentors? Besides sounding like a logistical nightmare to enforce, this sounds like an extreme version of the $3,500 cap, but it also sounds way too much like Communism, “Look… you guys have been too successful, we are taking your money away and are going to give it to some team that hasn’t worked as hard.”

Communism or welfare system. I don’t really know which this is.

So, I would say, no caps. But, what if a team was really successful? Then that team would be able to (if they wanted to) give out grants to other teams. And maybe the FIRST finance division would be happy to help the good-natured team. However, if I were that team, I would invest the money so that if they don’t raise enough money the next year, they don’t have a major financial problem.
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2004, 07:22 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Hinkel Y. has a spectacular aura aboutHinkel Y. has a spectacular aura aboutHinkel Y. has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Hinkel Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peciv
Wouldn’t it be rather hard to enforce this? Do you have a variable “capping” system based on the number of team members and mentors that each team has? How do you prove the real number of members and mentors? Besides sounding like a logistical nightmare to enforce, this sounds like an extreme version of the $3,500 cap, but it also sounds way too much like Communism, “Look… you guys have been too successful, we are taking your money away and are going to give it to some team that hasn’t worked as hard.”
With this, some teams may be unsuccessful at raising money. We have asked a company who shall remain nameless said they have sponsored a
team before, but they were not a good team (or something like that). And plus, the team might have relied on one main sponsor for all of their financial assets, then say one year, the company goes bankrupt and needs to pull the plug on their sponsorship. I'm not saying that the lower team should get all the money, but should be supplied with some just to stay alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peciv
Communism or welfare system. I don’t really know which this is.

So, I would say, no caps. But, what if a team was really successful? Then that team would be able to (if they wanted to) give out grants to other teams. And maybe the FIRST finance division would be happy to help the good-natured team. However, if I were that team, I would invest the money so that if they don’t raise enough money the next year, they don’t have a major financial problem.
By this, I meam a limit of say $100 000 for a season, and say you raise $200 000 and you could only "donate" $50 000 to FIRST. But we'll have to go with the team's gracious professionalism with this. But you do raise a good point about future planning...
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Mechanical Engineer
FRC #0134 (Team Discovery)

Pat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to beholdPat Roche is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Pat Roche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock
Hmm.. maybe a road trip to NH to get their unused returnables is in order...
I think I may already be taking a side trip up to NH during Battlecry, maybe I'll rent a U-Haul and rummage everybody's recycle bins up there.

There is no $0.05 deposit in NH, so getting these unused cans and bottles from residents will be rather simple..
Unless you got family in Connecticut

-Pat
Team Discovery #134 Alumni 1999-2004
Division by Zero #229 Alumni 2004-2009
Team Discovery again?
2010 and Beyond

Where have the last 11 years have gone?
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-03-2004, 10:33 PM
54... What a good number!
no team

dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250

to get this kinda rolling again, did anyone duscuss this at any of the team forums and get a good conversation rolling about the recent price increases, i would really lie to hear what other areas of the nation thinks about this? I mean are teams in one area having an easier time raising money so this isnt as bad of a problem as it may be in some financially striken areas, maybe like some parts of NYC?

-Michael Dessingue

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: