Go to Post We draw the line when our students are more affectionate towards the tools rather than eachother. - ksafin [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > FRC Game Design
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-13-2018, 07:36 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
petercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should FIRST try replaying some old game concepts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Any bets as to whether FUEL will be back? Or did AM clean out their stock yet?
It's really a shame it didn't get used much during most of the season, as that Fuel was an awesome game piece in a lot of ways. When I heard that it was a type of wiffle ball I thought that they'd be easily destroyed, but they were actually really robust in the face of rough gameplay.

I think it'd be really great if they got used again in another game, and I think it's possible as long as the scoring mechanics are different enough. If you had to place it inside a very small opening (not much bigger than the ball), maybe with (dare I say it) a restriction on Launching it (so it'd be a placing-task, not a shooting-task), and did something quite different on how to collect them (maybe even a limit on how many could be controlled at once), I think it could be different enough to be a new task that didn't give veteran teams a substantial advantage.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-13-2018, 07:51 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercooperjr View Post
It's really a shame it didn't get used much during most of the season, as that Fuel was an awesome game piece in a lot of ways. When I heard that it was a type of wiffle ball I thought that they'd be easily destroyed, but they were actually really robust in the face of rough gameplay.
Flat floors and low bumpers had a lot to do with that durability. They weren't exactly the easiest projectile/target combination for robots to use though, and that showed in the number of teams that actually attempted shooting (the relatively low point values had a lot to do with it too).
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-13-2018, 07:09 PM
AKA: Kevin Swift's Biggest Fan
FRC #0910 (The Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
lcraig910 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
Flat floors and low bumpers had a lot to do with that durability. They weren't exactly the easiest projectile/target combination for robots to use though, and that showed in the number of teams that actually attempted shooting (the relatively low point values had a lot to do with it too).
FRC tried to make the balls as durable as they could. Frank Merrick has also stated regret at shooting not being as important as they originally intended.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 12:51 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

2006 auto (maybe with an option to pickup additional balls?) with teams' current software capabilities would be amazing. Or basically any autonomous mode that allows for some alliance interaction or defense.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Alumnus
AKA: Bryce Croucher
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2006
Bryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the GDC has always recycled concepts from old games. I'm sure that pattern will continue, but I think the next thing they bring back should be frisbees. They were already fun to watch in 2013, but it would be awesome to see the improvement in robot quality 6 years later.
FRC Team Mean Machine
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercooperjr View Post
I'm still burning a candle for a replay of Steamworks without the airships and gears. It's never going to happen, but maybe they're resurrect rapid-fire projectiles in a future game - that was fun (and made for an awesome demo bot).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: