OCCRA
Go to Post ...thinking and learning never go out of style. - Rick TYler [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 10:09 PM
FRC #6912

NortheyGentry is an unknown quantity at this point
Talon SRX kop question

I have not looked deep but can some one tell me if 1 talon SRX in the 2018 KOP run both motors for the base kit on each side or do i need to beg borrow and steel to get 2 more... as we are a rookie team and it seems the first credits are out of them.... and if it does work.. what do i need to be aware of... I have looked at many bots with so many motor controls ! for each motor usually...
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Talon SRX kop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheyGentry View Post
I have not looked deep but can some one tell me if 1 talon SRX in the 2018 KOP run both motors for the base kit on each side or do i need to beg borrow and steel to get 2 more... as we are a rookie team and it seems the first credits are out of them.... and if it does work.. what do i need to be aware of... I have looked at many bots with so many motor controls ! for each motor usually...
You will need 2 on each side to be compliant with the rules. Please read R36.
Clarke's Laws
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 10:15 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Don't Panic.

I don't have the rules in front of me right now, so I need you to look at the Robot section, under either Motors or Command and Control. Somewhere in there is a table showing what type of controller can be used with each motor, in the form of "Speed Controller" "Solenoid" and something else.

I need you to tell me what the answer to your question is after looking at that table, first line, if you have found it.

And then I need you to take a look at AndyMark and VEXPro and tell me the price for a Talon SRX, then look at REV Robotics and tell me the price for a Spark speed controller. (Just don't try mixing the two on motors in the same gearbox, OK?) I think this situation is manageable, you just need a little guidance. (Do you guys have a team that is mentoring you?)

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Greg Needel's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Who? BBQ!
FRC #7720 (ALLSPARKS)

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

As a rookie team you received 4 SPARK motor controllers from us in your kit. 2 in the rookie kit, and 2 in the main kit. Just look for the orange box with the game-pad on the cover on it called Kit Pack!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Needel View Post
As a rookie team you received 4 SPARK motor controllers from us in your kit. 2 in the rookie kit, and 2 in the main kit. Just look for the orange box with the game-pad on the cover on it called Kit Pack!
Wooo! REV to the rescue!
Clarke's Laws
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 10:34 PM
FRC #6912

NortheyGentry is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, rarely see the sparks used when i looked at robots last year... is there something different about them... why used or not used...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 10:42 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ok, rarely see the sparks used when i looked at robots last year... is there something different about them... why used or not used...
Yes, they do not have all of the "smart" features available on the Talon SRX. However they are great motor controllers and I can recommend them. Perfect for a drivetrain if you are not using encoders, and still fine if you are since you can connect the encoders directly into the roboRIO.

“Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.”
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, Driver, Programming Lead
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Greg Needel's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Who? BBQ!
FRC #7720 (ALLSPARKS)

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Different teams have different preferences when it comes to motor controllers. The SPARK was designed to be a simple lightweight and cost effective motor controller. It doesn't have all the features of the high end controllers, but is less than half the cost and does what you need it to do (Spin motors!).

Even if you decide to not use them in competition I think veterans all over will tell you it's good to have some spares and you can use them for practice or prototyping!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2018, 11:20 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Over 3600 Sparks were used last year: https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...sage-reporting

We used 6 of them.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 12:53 AM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross View Post
Over 3600 Sparks were used last year: https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...sage-reporting

We used 6 of them.
Over 3600 Sparks were declared last year. In reality, there are probably way more due to teams using Y cables for PWM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 01:07 AM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

My team personally uses SRXs anywhere we need precise control, whether position or speed. For example, we use them on our drivetrain since we use encoders. We used them on our shooter too, but we actually had 5 Sparks on our robot last year (And 1 Talon SR, it was collecting dust and wanted to find a use for it). They are great motor controllers, very affordable. You can basically buy 2 Sparks for the price of 1 SRX. If you aren't doing encoders, I would go with Sparks. You can still use encoders using DIO ports on the roboRio, programming is just a little bit harder.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysq View Post
Over 3600 Sparks were declared last year. In reality, there are probably way more due to teams using Y cables for PWM.
Although it would be neither gracious nor professional, I wonder what would happen if a team managed to declare a very large number of motor controllers (obviously not actually on the robot).....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: