Go to Post Enjoy doing what you do. If you enjoy your life, what you're doing in it, and how you're living it, then what other people say or think doesn't matter. - Beth Sweet [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 02:49 PM
The Lone Programmer
FRC #3036 (DROBA Warriors)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
Taggerun will become famous soon enoughTaggerun will become famous soon enough
Camera LED Ring

Where do I wire the LED ring into?

"It's taking longer than expected, which was to be expected."
"You know, it's amazing how many things you can take apart with just one ordinary screwdriver!" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes
Best way to cut a CIM shaft?
I quite enjoyed running the CIM at full speed with a hacksaw up against it, but something tells me you are looking for a slightly safer option.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 02:56 PM
AKA: maccopacco
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

maccopacco is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Camera LED Ring

My team specifically uses 12V rated LED lights or rings, so we wire ours into Spike Relays (outdated), the VRM if we always want it the lights on, or a PCM. A PCM is nice because you can treat it is a solenoid in code and then just turn the lights on or off.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 03:13 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)

pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccopacco View Post
My team specifically uses 12V rated LED lights or rings, so we wire ours into Spike Relays (outdated), the VRM if we always want it the lights on, or a PCM. A PCM is nice because you can treat it is a solenoid in code and then just turn the lights on or off.
The PCM is a great idea, we'll have to try that. We have always used VRM but couldn't turn it off during a match.
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka/Tater Bot Hot Dish) - Mentor
2017-: FIRST Volunteer - 2017 North Champs Student Ambassador
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 03:16 PM
FRC #6740 (Glue Gun&Glitter)

Rookie Year: 2017
Amit is an unknown quantity at this point

last year we connected our vision led ring to the VRM and it got fried. we were told after to always connect LEDs to strait to the PDP.
I'm not sure where or how, i'm not in electronics sub-team. but i do remember the advise to never connect LED to VRM
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 04:14 PM
AKA: maccopacco
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

maccopacco is an unknown quantity at this point

We've never burned up an LED strip or ring with the VRM. On our 2016 robot, we had vision LED strips powered by the VRM whenever the robot was on. Between testing and competition on-time, we must've had a half dozen hours of on-time, minimum.

My guess is you were supplying more than the maximum rated voltage to the ring, or you were running it longer than it's duty cycle.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

As a 'general' rule of thumb, an LED string from amazon will run about 20 ma per 3 led section. Note that the PCM has a maximum amperage rating for the entire bank of outputs. Be careful no to exceed it. I believe the total bank is around 400 mA.

An 80mm green ring light from superbright LED will run around 320 mA's. That's dangerously close to the full output of the PCM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 10:07 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Type is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to behold

Another option available now is to purchase LED controllers from Andymark, they currently have a variety of products. They have a Arduino that controls RGB LEDs using an Ethernet connection I believe, the LightDrive 12 which using 2 PWM or CAN bus allows you to control 4 RGB strips or 12 normal LEDs, the CANifier which uses CAN bus to control RGB LEDs, and REV currently has the Blinkin LED Driver. There are more controllers I believe that I can not think of. Like Max said, my freshman year we ran LEDs through the VRM, both our spotting light and vision tracking light, and last year we ran it through a Spike Relay (old technology that we are about to out date due to breaking parts and them not being available) directly to the PDP since we had many LEDs and didn't want to overload our VRMs. We experimented during the off season with the PCM and haven't found any issues with that yet. More than likely, we will be using the CANifier this year to control LEDs.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 10:31 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)

pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Line View Post
As a 'general' rule of thumb, an LED string from amazon will run about 20 ma per 3 led section. Note that the PCM has a maximum amperage rating for the entire bank of outputs. Be careful no to exceed it. I believe the total bank is around 400 mA.

An 80mm green ring light from superbright LED will run around 320 mA's. That's dangerously close to the full output of the PCM.
We got that CTRE low-side driver module as well so that is also an option. I think it has six channels so we can use 3 for RGB LED strip and another for an LED ring. Though I doubt we will have vision this year, just encoders+gyro since there aren't too many useful vision targets IMO.
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka/Tater Bot Hot Dish) - Mentor
2017-: FIRST Volunteer - 2017 North Champs Student Ambassador

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: