OCCRA
Go to Post Woodie once said he wanted to make our brains hurt. And I *don't* think he was talking about getting beaned by 198 grams of foam.... - Ken Patton [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Build Captain and Driver
AKA: Jared Dunn
FRC #5811 (BONDS)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
inorbert is on a distinguished road
Questions on Team Social for Miami Valley Regional

My team (5811) is super exited that the Miami Valley Regional has been moved the Nutter Center. Because the MVR is now quite close to our team, we are working on planning a team social. Two main questions have come up in this planning process: is it okay for a team social to be on thursday of a Thursday-Saturday Competition (our current time plan is 7-10pm) and what is a reasonable price for the social. Our top choice in location is a large gaming/ arcade complex but the price we are starting with is about 20$ per person. That includes about 5$ of food and 30$ of games and other activities (go-carts, lazer tag, VR, Bounce fortress thing, minigolf) but still seems more expensive than students can be expected to pay.

Thoughts?

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 06:20 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questions on Team Social for Miami Valley Regional

First thought, check the pit closing times. Many teams won't leave until pit close (though with a team social they'll have an incentive), and those tend to be towards 8 on practice day. Also factor in travel time.

I would say that $20/person including food and at least some entertainment would be, maybe a little on the high end, but certainly reasonable for the venue in question, particularly if announced now so arrangements can be made for March. (Can't say for other venue types, though.)

As for days... That's a hard one. Put it on Saturday night, nobody's there. Put in on Wednesday night, nobody's there. Put it on Friday night and you run up against scouting meetings, but you can start earlier and end earlier.

(I have no plans to attend said regional, so take comments with a grain of salt.)

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 06:29 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

I would be wary of a social on Friday night since we will be having a strategy discussions/pick list meeting.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Mythically Obsessed Sorta-Leader
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
I would be wary of a social on Friday night since we will be having a strategy discussions/pick list meeting.
QFT. A Thursday night social would be better than Friday, unless any place that you're considering is absolutely unavailable then. In addition to the reason Michael presented, regular matches will not have started by that point. I think that this would help attendance, since after Friday, some teams might be too exhausted after a full day of competition to attend a social, picklist meeting or not. Not going through the intensity of regular matches before a social will also help.

My ideas, comments, and opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my team, sponsors, or school. Always feel free to PM me.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Build Captain and Driver
AKA: Jared Dunn
FRC #5811 (BONDS)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
inorbert is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input, we actually just got an email saying the facility was already reserved for the Thursday so it would have to be on Friday night. Because of the price constraint, we have contacted the local universities (one of whom is a major sponsor of our team) we are pretty confident we could get a location for the social for more or less free and would be available Thursday.

Would it be better, in that case, to host the social at the Arcade or in a large gym or rec-plec at a university? both are about equidistant from the competition (19 and 18 min respectively? I know there are no absolutes in this I am just hoping for opinions: my team has only been to another team social once, at Midwest Regional so your advice in this is much appreciated.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Mythically Obsessed Sorta-Leader
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Scout

nomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by inorbert View Post
Would it be better, in that case, to host the social at the Arcade or in a large gym or rec-plec at a university?
Considering the theme of the game, I'd go with the arcade.

[IRRELEVANT EDIT]Wow 100th post[/IRRELEVANT EDIT]

My ideas, comments, and opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my team, sponsors, or school. Always feel free to PM me.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 11:15 PM
FF: Blucifer
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Thayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond repute

I know that the team social at Denver is usually ~$8 a person. It's just held in a gym, there's food, various sports, lots of table space, and usually a DJ. Teams usually have lots of fun and there aren't any of the kinds of fancy fun stuff you were talking about. That stuff would be sweet, but you can definitely have a lot of fun at a lower price. It's also on a Friday so I know I missed it last year to manage our scouting meeting.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Co-Team Leader, MVR Planning
FRC #1038 (The Thunderhawks)

Rookie Year: 2004
Jimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jimmy Nichols

Socials at every event I have attended have been on Friday. Thursday socials are typically not done for the fact that pits are open until 8 and given that we are a week 1 event I'm sure everyone will use that time available. Friday socials are typically 6-8/9 time frame given that some teams will leave early from the venue to go and sometimes will need to leave early for said scouting meetings.

We have paid anything from $0 - $20 per person. Typically $10-$15 depending on the food and available activities. I spoke to Katie a bit about it. Feel free to reach out to me if you all need help. Additionally I will need the information to populate into the Event Handbook.

2017 - MVR GP Award,QF - Buckeye Industrial Design - WOW Championship 3rd Place
2016 - QCR QF - Ohio FRC State Championship QF
2015 - QCR Imagery,QF,Volunteer of the year - Championship Volunteer of the Year - Paul George
2013 - Crossroads Team Spirit,QF - Queen City WFFA - Paul George,QF - Ohio FRC State Championship Champions
2012 - Queen City Volunteer of the Year,Team Spirit,Finalists - Smoky Mountains Engineering Inspiration,QF
2011 - Pittsburgh SF - Buckeye Engineering Excellence Award,Coopertition Award,SF
2010 - Pittsburgh Judge’s Award,QF - Buckeye Industrial Design Award,Finalists - IRI Mentor Round Champions
2009 - Buckeye GM Industrial Design,Champions
2008 - Midwest Engineering Inspiration,QF - IRI SF
2007 - Pittsburgh Motorola Quality,Finalist - Buckeye Rockwell Automation Innovative Controls,Finalist - Championship Newton QF
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Operator in 100+ matches
AKA: Yngwie Kamen's roadie
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Kevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Kolodziej

I am the former Team Social coordinator for the Wisconsin Regional we always held our socials on Friday from 6-9 and did whatever possible to keep the cost at $10/person or lower. Some years we had specific sponsorship for the social to keep the cost down. The social was organized by myself and the Regional Planning Committee; I am a bit surprised to see a team organizing the social independently, but I have been to an unofficial social coordinated by a team in MN a few years ago so I know it does happen.

Attendance at our socials declined in recent years, even though we tried to offer space for teams to meet during the social to have their scouting meetings and whatnot. Personally, I am a bit irritated by teams who don't attend a social for the SOLE reason of a scouting meeting, but many teams opt for a more affordable dinner, the travel is too much, the day is too exhausting, etc, and I totally get that. I just recall many great moments at team socials when I was a student that helped solidify some great friendships that still exist today and I hate to see today's students miss out on those opportunities.

If we can afford it, whatever your social ends up being, Team 1675 will plan on attending!
WI RPC: 2006 - 2016 // FRC Inspector: '07 (WI), '08 (WI, IL), '09 (WI, IL), '10 (WI, CMP), '11 (WI, IL, CMP), '12 (WI), '13 (Northern Lights)
2007 WI Woodie Flowers Award Finalist // 2011 Wisconsin Regional Outstanding Volunteer // 2011/2013 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 07:20 AM
Co-Team Leader, MVR Planning
FRC #1038 (The Thunderhawks)

Rookie Year: 2004
Jimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Nichols has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jimmy Nichols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kolodziej View Post
I am the former Team Social coordinator for the Wisconsin Regional we always held our socials on Friday from 6-9 and did whatever possible to keep the cost at $10/person or lower. Some years we had specific sponsorship for the social to keep the cost down. The social was organized by myself and the Regional Planning Committee; I am a bit surprised to see a team organizing the social independently, but I have been to an unofficial social coordinated by a team in MN a few years ago so I know it does happen.

Attendance at our socials declined in recent years, even though we tried to offer space for teams to meet during the social to have their scouting meetings and whatnot. Personally, I am a bit irritated by teams who don't attend a social for the SOLE reason of a scouting meeting, but many teams opt for a more affordable dinner, the travel is too much, the day is too exhausting, etc, and I totally get that. I just recall many great moments at team socials when I was a student that helped solidify some great friendships that still exist today and I hate to see today's students miss out on those opportunities.

If we can afford it, whatever your social ends up being, Team 1675 will plan on attending!
Agreed, the planning committee's typically are part of the arrangements. Unfortunately we are not approved for a Team Social unless we are a fully funded event and currently we are not. So the Bonds stepped up, along with other local FRC teams to help organize one independently.

2017 - MVR GP Award,QF - Buckeye Industrial Design - WOW Championship 3rd Place
2016 - QCR QF - Ohio FRC State Championship QF
2015 - QCR Imagery,QF,Volunteer of the year - Championship Volunteer of the Year - Paul George
2013 - Crossroads Team Spirit,QF - Queen City WFFA - Paul George,QF - Ohio FRC State Championship Champions
2012 - Queen City Volunteer of the Year,Team Spirit,Finalists - Smoky Mountains Engineering Inspiration,QF
2011 - Pittsburgh SF - Buckeye Engineering Excellence Award,Coopertition Award,SF
2010 - Pittsburgh Judge’s Award,QF - Buckeye Industrial Design Award,Finalists - IRI Mentor Round Champions
2009 - Buckeye GM Industrial Design,Champions
2008 - Midwest Engineering Inspiration,QF - IRI SF
2007 - Pittsburgh Motorola Quality,Finalist - Buckeye Rockwell Automation Innovative Controls,Finalist - Championship Newton QF

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: