OCCRA
Go to Post Anyone know anything about a missing plastic flamingo from NASA HQ? I should mention before you answer that tampering with federal property, even if it's weird stuff from (Dave's) office, is punishable by painful delivery of ChiefDelphi negative rep points. - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-13-2009, 11:16 PM
AKA: Cameron Parvini
FRC #1538 (The Holy Cows)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
HashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You Know You're Proud To Be A FIRSTer When...

When you've played baseball for 11 years, including all your years of high school, and as a senior...

...you quit the baseball team to focus on expanding your role on the robotics team.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-13-2009, 11:19 PM
AKA: Kris
FRC #4392 (Decievers) FRC #2075 (Enigma)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
kgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to beholdkgzak is a splendid one to behold

... You know one day you will make a difference.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
FRC #2180 (Zero Gravity)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Church is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the rough

When you can be an asset a new team, and feel like you're helping them out by being a mentor.

Church? No, it's not a Red vs Blue reference. It's my name.

Webcomic about FIRST! The FIRST Team
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Woodie Flowers Award
purple
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Ken Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond repute

When people who used to wonder what the heck you did every winter now brag to you about how their kids are doing in robotics.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Winner, Chief Delphi Insanity Award
AKA: Jeremy Marr
FRC #0240 (T.E.M.P.E.S.T.)

Rookie Year: 2004
MishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of light

...you realize that FIRST is one of the few things helping you keep a firm grip on your sanity.

True story.

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Precision Driver Extraordinaire
AKA: Richard Raitt
FRC #1793 (Pilots)

Rookie Year: 2006
NorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond repute

-A friend is trying to decide whether to start an FTC team or not, and after chatting on FB for a while, he changes his status to
"int Richard = Savior(everything);"

-You explain to someone how do do something, they go off and do it, come back and ask, "is this right?" and you say,

"Yes."

I was in Scouts but I wanted out by the third meeting. I was in TSA, but I quit after a couple of weeks. I don't go camping with the SCA anymore. I was in taekwondo but I had to leave because I got sick.
I joined FIRST and stuck with it. It was nice enough to return the favor.

Last edited by NorviewsVeteran : 10-15-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: it's all about the format
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
FRC #2010

AMB2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

when your mom asks you why your team shirts are always in the wash...because you wear them as often as you can !!!!
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

When you meet someone and when you get on the discussion of what sports do you play and I say that I do robotics and they reply with, "Oh, are you involved with the FIRST program?" (and they aren't on a team). You can tell that FIRSTawarness has spread as a couple of years ago I would say that and people would be like, "Oh, I have no idea what that is?!"

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
University Mentor
AKA: Alex Strong
FRC #2702 (REBotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of

You walk into University for 1st year engineering and think, "yeah... I wouldn't be here without FIRST..."

*insert warm fuzzy feeling about program working*

#25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

When KIDS from other teams go out of their way to find you at competition and THANK you for being a mentor.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
AKA: Erik Edhlund
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

ErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant futureErikEdhlund has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to ErikEdhlund

You know you're proud to be a FIRSTer when you choose to come and mentor for your team the year after you graduate.

"Raul... Your Pathetic."
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

I am proud to be a Firster everytime time I see a student succeed, a rookie receive an award, a mentor tells me they will be coming back, or when that "light" in a student's eye blinks on when they have just answered a technical question for another team. I am proud whenever I see someone do their best, work with someone they don't know, discuss strategy like a pro, or congratulate another team on a job well done. I am proud when a non-team person who has been given a team tshirt is approached by hundreds of people and told "hey, I like your team!" or "You guys have a great robot". (This happens when we gave tshirts to visiting relatives at the Champs.) I am proud whenever I turn to a team during inspections and say "OK I just need two signatures here and I will go get your sticker, you passed!"
I am especially proud when someone I know receives the WFFA and I am able to be present to welcome them into the community.
www.wildstang.org
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2009, 09:32 AM
AKA: Daniel Bray
FRC #1895 (Lambda Corps)

Rookie Year: 2007
Dmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond reputeDmentor has a reputation beyond repute

… you take vacation time from work to get up way too early and commute through rush hour traffic on a Thursday morning to get covered in grease and metal shavings helping a fellow FIRST rookie team AND when you look around the pit you have trouble picking out the rookie’s team shirts amongst the Kaleidoscope of team shirts all frantically helping side by side to get the robot ready for inspection and competition AND when you happen to glance down rookie row and see the same miracle occurring in every single rookie pit… Yeah, it made me proud to be a part of FIRST.

This was my experience at 2009 DC regional. Memories: Priceless.

2068: 2007-2016
1895: 2016-current
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Team Mom
AKA: Wendy Austin
FRC #5816 (Gra-V)

wendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight was a great night to be a FIRSTer. We held our sponsor Thank You Dinner

I got to:

Watch a young lady who didn't speak the first year she was on the team give a presentation at our sponsor dinner in front of 50 something people without batting an eye

Brag on one of my graduated seniors who is now ranked in the top 20 of programmers at UCF and he is a freshman.

Watch my son who started in FIRST 6 years ago mentor the students in the presentation tonight

Listen to every sponsor who came up to me and told me what an inspiration these kids are

See kids who have only been on the team for a month or so jump right in so that only someone who knew....would know that they were new.

Enjoy seeing many of our alumni come back to visit and still want to be a part of the team

Have a BLAST with a great bunch of people who have become my family
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2009, 11:45 PM
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #0675 (Tech High Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
FIRSTgirl675 will become famous soon enoughFIRSTgirl675 will become famous soon enough

-When your school has no sports and your FRC team is the school's Football Team.

-When you hear people, especially little kids, talking about the robot you helped build as if they had just seen it, when they actually saw it 5 months before.

-When you are able to help someone by using a skill you learned because of your involvement in FIRST.

-When you see a rookie student that reminds you of yourself when you were a rookie when you were learning how to use the machinery in the shop.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: