Go to Post Don't worry so much about the wording of the rules but the intent of the rules. - Greg Needel [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Looking for Solidworks Designers

Hey FIRSTers,
I am looking for Solidworks Designers for positions in the Detroit area (Dearborn specifically).

I am pulling together a team to work on a super rushed, well funded, and important project. The positions are contract positions that I need to fill asap (tomorrow if possible). The project is funded through the end of the year. It might go beyond that time but nothing is guaranteed.

We are designing robots (motors, gears, things that buzz, whir, and click, ...).

You don't need robotics experience but it helps. You'll be shocked to learn that resumes with explicit FIRST examples tend to get my attention.

The CAD system we are using is Solidworks. You don't need explicit Solidworks experience, but CAD is a must and as well as a willingness to learn/work in SW.

I am looking for resumes of folks that have proven mechanisms design experience. I am also looking for creative folks. If I knew the answers, I'd just farm it out. I need folks who can see solutions where others see only constraints and problems.

That's what I want, but the professional recruiters I am working with are just not finding them for me. So I'm coming to the CD community, a place crawling with creative roboticists.

If you are interested PM me with your contact information, I will send you my e-mail, and we can get it going from there.

Dean often talks about FIRST being a sport where all the participants have the opportunity to "Go Pro." If you want to design robots for a living, here's a chance.

Dr. Joe J.
Team #88, TJ2
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 08:01 AM
School of Hard Knocks
AKA: David Voss
FRC #5586 (Bond Brigade)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
Road Rash is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for Solidworks Designers

I'm hoping your inbox fills up quickly.

It sounds like an exciting opportunity for many here for obvious reasons.

Facebook - Instagram - Twitter
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Breaking Out
AKA: Alastair
FRC #4613
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2013
pilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm *Looks up flights to Detroit*

This sounds really awesome, I wish location wasn't a problem for me. I hope you find some good candidates( with the quality of people in our community, I'm sure you will find plenty) and I am looking forward to seeing the final product(s).
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:45 PM
FRC #0573

18bostonc is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I PM you?

Sorry I don't use CD often.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:46 PM
FRC #0573

18bostonc is an unknown quantity at this point

Nvrm, had to activate account
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Engineer at Medrobotics
FRC #0088 (TJ2)

Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

All,
Thanks for your many responses. The CD community doesn't disappoint.

Some clarifications.
  • It is full time (actually more than full time -- if you want to overtime, we're happy to pay overtime).
  • They are not summer positions. We need the team to be working full time on the project until at least the end of the year* (translation: if you need to go to school during working hours in the fall, you are not a good fit -- sorry).
  • The positions are in Dearborn MI (Translation: can't work remotely -- sorry).
  • The positions are for contract Solidworks designers.

PM me if you can work with the above and want more information. Include your e-mail address in the PM.

Dr. Joe J.

*It is currently planned/funded/scheduled through that time but if things are going well, I can easily see it going much longer (or the team being redeployed to another project after this one). At the same time, there are no guarantees. Projects sometimes end before they are planned. YMMV.
Team #88, TJ2
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Registered Muser
no team (AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could apply. I still need to get that darn piece of paper that says I can be an engineer.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Alumnus
AKA: Bryce Croucher
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2006
Bryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great opportunity! I would think about applying if I didn't already have an engineering job, and I wasn't still going to school. I hope you find the people you are looking for.
FRC Team Mean Machine
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2017, 06:38 AM
That Guy
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics), FRC 5666 (Purple Lightning)

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond repute

I would also love to apply if I didn't just accept a position somewhere. Seems like a dream come true to many of the people here!

Good luck finding the right people Joe!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Engineer at Medrobotics
FRC #0088 (TJ2)

Chief Delphi Solidworks Designers,
I know everyone is All-Kickoff-All-The-Time right now but I am kicking this old thread because I'm back in hiring mode again.

The Boston based medical startup that I work for now has a Dearborn office. A designer from Chief Delphi has been on the team for 6 months now. AND... ...We are looking to expand.

If you can work in our Dearborn office, are willing to consider a contract position (theoretically it is a temp position but I can't see us running out of work anytime soon) and meet the other qualifications discussed in the starting post, PM me and make your case.

I'd love to hire more FIRST folk.

Cheers,
Dr. Joe J.
Team #88, TJ2
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Design Lead
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an age requirement

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Engineer at Medrobotics
FRC #0088 (TJ2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
Is there an age requirement
It is a full time gig and considerable experience is needed to compete with other candidates so not officially but in practice probably yes.

Joe J.
Team #88, TJ2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: